Shure SRH1540 Review
Apr 10, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #346 of 2,681
I bought a srh1540 yesterday,I tested it before i bought it, the high pitch is slightly harsh to me on female vocal, most probably because it's new out of the box, just want to ask does after some times the sound changed? If yes roughly how many hours of burn in?

I didn't notice any change with burn-in but I also didn't find it harsh at all so it could have changed.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #347 of 2,681
Recently purchased SRH1540 from Moon Audio they have a "Silver Dragon"  balanced aftermarket cable for the Shure headphones, 1540, 1840, 1440 so I purchased a "Silver Dragon" with the SRH1540. Previously in 2012 I had purchased an SRH1840 and returned it as the Sound Signature was intolerable for my taste a weak bass and very tinny sound.

The SRH1540 has better bass but my impression , sounds bloated, a recessed midrange and tinny metallic sounding treble. I tried it with 2 different balanced amplifiers and was very dissatisfied with the Sound Signature.

I returned the SRH1840 to Moon Audio and they were able to remove the Shure connectors and hardwired "Silver Dragon" to another headphone the service provided by Drew at Moon Audio is superb.

My impressions on the SRH1840 are my opinion compared to other headphones I own, for the value $500, a Hifiman HE-500 is a better value if you have the power to drive them.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #349 of 2,681
Apr 11, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #352 of 2,681
Very interesting indeed. I'll be interested with his response to that TH900 question. I'll make sure to try one out for shure now

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #354 of 2,681
  Very interesting indeed. I'll be interested with his response to that TH900 question. I'll make sure to try one out for shure now

They really are to bright and glary for me.  
And like I said in the review, the SRH1540 is too.
The 1540 really does begin to fall apart at louder volumes. 
But they're so damned good sounding at gentle listening levels I can't stop listening to them.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #356 of 2,681
Over-simplistically, yes. They're more "U" shaped than overly warm.

At loud levels they fall apart in the bass, but at low levels they're gorgeous.

I suspect my recommendation will raise a few hackles...the SRH1540 is not a perfect headphone.

Not that I've ever heard one.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #359 of 2,681
I bought a srh1540 yesterday,I tested it before i bought it, the high pitch is slightly harsh to me on female vocal, most probably because it's new out of the box, just want to ask does after some times the sound changed? If yes roughly how many hours of burn in?

from my experience yes - though the initial harshness was easily 'cured' by turning down the volume to a gentler level. after a day, things started to change, even non-audiophile friends of mine started asking how much is the 1540 after trying them on - before the 1540, they almost always just tell me i'm crazy to be spending too much on cans.  I still do find it better on gentler volume levels.

Been driving it with ifi dsd + ifi itube + ifi ican.  There was noticeable (for the better) change with the itube buffer specially when set to +6db.  I could tolerate the bass to a higher volume level - unfortunately, it doesnt seem to cope well with a lot of strong dubstep records i throw at it.  But then again i dont really listen much to dubstep music - i just wanted to hear how it will deal with the strong and ever-changing bass of the genre.   

with vocals (mostly female) and instrumentals i like it very much - smooth and detailed. Although as i have said in some other threads, it sounds somewhat 'airy' for me for a closed back headphone - maybe because of the pads - which might as well be why sound leakage is bad at slightly above volume levels.   Now that I think about it, at volume levels where sound leakage is minimal but volume is just enough - the 1540 sounded most enjoyable for me. 

and also, the carbon fiber is just too cool :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back