Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #317 of 2,683
Are you serious?!? Lol
tongue.gif

That actually happens in my house when using my D5000s... but my house is small (i.e. the rooms are pretty near one another)... :p

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #318 of 2,683
  If you listen at pretty loud volumes and the whole place is dead silent... yep. If there's like TV's on in the other rooms, etc. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't notice. But these are definitely not your closed-back headphones you listen to with your partner by your side... :wink:

Thanks gelocks. I found some B-Stock SRH1540 so I may bite the bullet and give it a try, I could always return them under the pretext of false advertising due to sound leakage lol

Mar 30, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #319 of 2,683

Bass quantity: Signature DJs --> SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Bass quality: Alpha Dogs == Signature DJs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Mids presentation: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540 --> Signature DJs
Soundstage/imaging: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Signature DJs
Highs: Alpha Dogs --> Signature DJs --> SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p
Sound Isolation/Leakage: Alpha Dogs --> Signature DJs == Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Fun Factor: Signature DJs --> SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Price: Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Signature DJs --> Beyer T5p

I purchased the SRH1540 and have been listening to them since Saturday. I also have the T5p and with the exception of the treble (which the T5p is better and more detailed IMO) I thoroughly agree with gelocks ranking above when considering the T5p and SRH1540.

I must mention the leakage, which I am thoroughly pleased with. The SRH1540 leak very little sound and nowhere near as much as say the Ultrasone Pro900. With the door closed they cannot be heard from another room when in use. The T5p is better and leaks nothing but rest assured the Shure1540 is definitely a real closed back headphone, no cheating here like the Fostex/Denon range which cannot be considered closed back.

Now, in terms of comfort, the T5p weighs in at 350g and I consider that the absolute max for me. The SRH1540 at 286g takes the cake and is king for comfort for long gaming sessions and music listening. On another note, I can't understand how the Alpha Dogs at 440grams can be comfortable for long listening sessions. The weight alone rules out the Alpha Dogs completely for me. Now, interestingly, the Ultrasone Signature DJ only weights 300g which is not much more than the Shure. This leaves me intrigued.

Shure SRH1540                286g
Ultrasone Signature DJ      300g
T5p                               350g
Alpha Dogs                     440g

Now, my question for gelocks is how different is the mid and sound stage of the Sig DJ compared with the SRH1540? I would think any mid range further back than the SRH1540 would sound recessed to me.Is the Sig DJ recessed (further back) in the mid range compared with the SRH1540?

Same principle applies to the sound stage. I find the SRH1540 open sounding and very good compared with the T5p. The T5p may sound a little more open but there really is little in it to be honest. Is the sound stage of the Sig DJ closed sounding compared with the SRH1540? How different are they?

While I consider the T5p technically a better headphone, a notch up in sound quality, it's the comfort, price, bass, fun factor of the the SRH1540 that would get my nod. Now, what to do about the Signature DJ............?

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #320 of 2,683
  Now, my question for gelocks is how different is the mid and sound stage of the Sig DJ compared with the SRH1540? I would think any mid range further back than the SRH1540 would sound recessed to me.Is the Sig DJ recessed (further back) in the mid range compared with the SRH1540?

Same principle applies to the sound stage. I find the SRH1540 open sounding and very good compared with the T5p. The T5p may sound a little more open but there really is little in it to be honest. Is the sound stage of the Sig DJ closed sounding compared with the SRH1540? How different are they?

While I consider the T5p technically a better headphone, a notch up in sound quality, it's the comfort, price, bass, fun factor of the the SRH1540 that would get my nod. Now, what to do about the Signature DJ............?

First, even though the Sig DJs are not that heavy, their earpads although good coupled with the clamp makes them NOT as comfortable as the headphones listed before. Not that bad, but definitely not as good as the SRH1540s.

Regarding mids, the SRH1540s are very smooth and even across with that tinge of warmness due to their increased bass. The Sig DJs are not as smooth and they indeed sound more recessed (again, big bass) if you compare them directly. Sound stage on the SIg DJs seemed wider to me but the imaging of the Shures I liked a lot more (i.e. instrument separation/clarity). Shure's can sound a bit more "open" due to that good imaging but the Sig DJs can sound a bit airier due to their differences in the high region.

I find the Sig DJs "funner" than the SRHs, and the Alpha's more "analytical" and laid-back which is why my Shure's had to go! :wink:

Good luck,

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #321 of 2,683

First, even though the Sig DJs are not that heavy, their earpads although good coupled with the clamp makes them NOT as comfortable as the headphones listed before. Not that bad, but definitely not as good as the SRH1540s.

Regarding mids, the SRH1540s are very smooth and even across with that tinge of warmness due to their increased bass. The Sig DJs are not as smooth and they indeed sound more recessed (again, big bass) if you compare them directly. Sound stage on the SIg DJs seemed wider to me but the imaging of the Shures I liked a lot more (i.e. instrument separation/clarity). Shure's can sound a bit more "open" due to that good imaging but the Sig DJs can sound a bit airier due to their differences in the high region.

I find the Sig DJs "funner" than the SRHs, and the Alpha's more "analytical" and laid-back which is why my Shure's had to go! :wink:

Good luck,

Thanks for the clarification, gelocks.

I was hoping the Signature DJ to be the next evolution of the HFI-780 in which that has fantastic, deep, slamming bass, in conjunction with forward mids and a detailed treble. To my disappointment I guess not.

Being so used to how Beyer does the mids I don't think I could have anything less than the mid presentation of the Shures.

Who knows, if I ever find a B-stock Sig DJ I may just give them a try. And until Beyer decide to release the Custom One Tesla I may just be happy and enjoy the Shures from here on.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #322 of 2,683
The logical successor of the HFI-780 is the Signature PRO, not the DJ. You might want to check the graphs on Inner Fidelity.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #323 of 2,683
The logical successor of the HFI-780 is the Signature PRO, not the DJ. You might want to check the graphs on Inner Fidelity.

Yea I've heard much better reviews on the Signature Pro than the DJ.  I believe the graphs, as Pietcux mentioned, are better on the Pro.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #324 of 2,683

As far as I understand from the graphs, the 780 has more sub bass and the Sig Pro has more mid bass? I actually thought the Ed.8 had a similar graph to the 780 though.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #325 of 2,683
As far as I understand from the graphs, the 780 has more sub bass and the Sig Pro has more mid bass? I actually thought the Ed.8 had a similar graph to the 780 though.

The frequency graphs of all three are not too different. But the Sig Pro has much less distortion in bass than the other two and the graph is more stable in the most important regions for music reproduction from 40 hz to 1000 hz.

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #328 of 2,683
  I think I really want to try the SRH1540 but I am freaked out by the bass bump on the frequency graph at Headroom. 

Hopefully this helps, it's bass bump is higher than the Denon D600s yet I find the 1540 bass not as bassy as the D600's.  The frequency graph is definitely intimating but yea it's not that bad and this is coming from someone who thought the M100's were too bassy.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #329 of 2,683
  Yea I've heard much better reviews on the Signature Pro than the DJ.  I believe the graphs, as Pietcux mentioned, are better on the Pro.

I'd take the Signature DJ over pro anyday for my taste - mostly edm and metal. Its not a case of "better" but completely different tuning for different genres.

Get the Pro if midrange is your concern - the bass is a fair bit weaker, the DJ are more fun and have far harder hitting bass if that is your thing.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #330 of 2,683
We should stop hijacking this thread, there are other threads for the Ultrasones.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back