Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #301 of 2,683
  If your first car is Ford, you'll never know any better. You'll be happy your whole life. Ignorance is bliss.  But, once you get that first Porsche, it may not seem right at first, but once you figure it out, the Ford will seem like crap.  It's Alice down the rabbit hole. 

I can understand that thing with cars, but it's weird with headphones. Because a really good sound, should sound really good no matter how little or much you've heard it. I know that when I first got my 80 euro headphones, they already sounded CLEARLY better than my old 15 euro headphones. And they sounded even better when I let them fully burn in.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #302 of 2,683
I don't understand you. You went on the record saying you want the 1540, but then you're trying to find any and every reason to not get them. So, don't. Save yourself the money because you're happy with what you already have. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #303 of 2,683
  I don't understand you. You went on the record saying you want the 1540, but then you're trying to find any and every reason to not get them. So, don't. Save yourself the money because you're happy with what you already have. 

I didn't say that dude. I said that I find it weird that my brain needs to adjust to a ''good sounding headphone''. Because if a headphone's sound doesn't sound good or right from the beginning, your brain just starts to adjust to the ''bad (or decent)'' sound, and eventually your brain will only focus on the good side of the sound, because you don't wanna believe that you get so little headphone for your money.

You're drawing strange conclusions here.

I'm not saying the 1540's sound bad, because I've never heard them. I've just heard the 840's since a few months though, and I did a good testing of them. While I think they have a decent sound of their own, the sound signature is not for me, not only because of the bass, but they sound a bit shouty overall to me.

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #305 of 2,683
  Has anyone directly compared the Shure 1540 with the Focal Spirit Pro? If so, which one did you prefer and why?

They're in different price brackets (Focal Spirit Pro = $350) but no i haven't seen any direct comparisons.  You might have better luck comparing the Focal Spirit Classics ($400) to the 1540 ($500) given they're in closer price brackets.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #307 of 2,683
  Trying them with Carat-Topaz amp from 2009. The bass becomes surprisingly strong and mids are thicker, which is the way I actually wanted them. Old amps aren't that bad.

You're so... 2009 :p

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #308 of 2,683
I don't know if someone has already done this, but would anybody be able to post photos of some measurements of the 1540's earpads (as in the cavity where the ear goes)?

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #309 of 2,683
If your first car is Ford, you'll never know any better. You'll be happy your whole life. Ignorance is bliss.  But, once you get that first Porsche, it may not seem right at first, but once you figure it out, the Ford will seem like crap.  It's Alice down the rabbit hole. 

Money is not infinite and not everyone has the talent to earn the money to buy a Koenigsegg, Zenvo, Gumpert or Hennessey.

I have driven some very nice cars, but I am not going to kill myself to earn the money to buy one. Same thing once you drink a '79 LR and then get a $9 cab from the grocer.

Also, knowing and experiencing that better exists but one cannot afford it does not equate to being unhappy - that's up to you.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #310 of 2,683
Money is not infinite and not everyone has the talent to earn the money to buy a Koenigsegg, Zenvo, Gumpert or Hennessey.

I have driven some very nice cars, but I am not going to kill myself to earn the money to buy one. Same thing once you drink a '79 LR and then get a $9 cab from the grocer.

Also, knowing and experiencing that better exists but one cannot afford it does not equate to being unhappy - that's up to you.

That was exactly my point.  I was saying if the guy was happy with his headphones, there's no need to upgrade to headphones that cost a lot of money.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #311 of 2,683

Please for the love of the audio gods, let's get back to topic.  Take it to PMs you two!

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #312 of 2,683
Can folks comment on the sound leakage of these? Are they as bad as Denon/Fostex? I'm looking for some gaming headphones and these sound ideal, especially considering the weight and comfort, Just the sound isolation seems a deal breaker.

Thanks.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #313 of 2,683
  Can folks comment on the sound leakage of these? Are they as bad as Denon/Fostex? I'm looking for some gaming headphones and these sound ideal, especially considering the weight and comfort, Just the sound isolation seems a deal breaker.

Thanks.

Not as bad as the Denon D5000s I have but, yeah, they leak... Figure the pads are the culprit. They sound excellent though.

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #314 of 2,683

Not as bad as the Denon D5000s I have but, yeah, they leak... Figure the pads are the culprit. They sound excellent though.

Thanks gelocks. Would you think they could be heard in the next room with my door closed?

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #315 of 2,683
If you listen at pretty loud volumes and the whole place is dead silent... yep. If there's like TV's on in the other rooms, etc. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't notice. But these are definitely not your closed-back headphones you listen to with your partner by your side... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back