Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #62 of 2,679
Just ordered a pair from Amazon, be here tommarrow.  If i do keep them, any suggestion for a different cable?  Nothing too expensive, justlookin for one closer to 4 ft instead of 6?

What's your budget? I have a hybrid Noir cable from Forza Audioworks. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Shipping is expensive though if you use EMS from Poland

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #63 of 2,679
  i had no success with w1000x...made no sense with the soundstage..as if I am inside the orchestra...sold it v shortly,
a lot of people do like it..so its kinda personal.

yea the sound stage is very... accurate... or... it's... surgical... espically after I've modded mine. It is VERY left right, the channel seperation is scary, and yes there is a Center to the headphone, But I feel it's very real sounding. Like an intimate session with your favorite bands, the guy 3 inches to the left of you SOUNDS 3 inches LEFT of center, same for whom ever is to your right ect... ect... For some it's... jarring and un desired. I how ever like it, but I like balance in extremes so, the same applies to the depth as well. It's got the Imagining of an Open Back, but the width of a closed back so it's intimate yet at the same time very spacious... 
  Just ordered a pair from Amazon, be here tommarrow.  If i do keep them, any suggestion for a different cable?  Nothing too expensive, justlookin for one closer to 4 ft instead of 6?

Brian at BTG Audio Makes a half decent cable, his prices start as low as $51

I really do need to hear this Shure 1540 and the Alpha Dog... pitted again'st my MD2k and W1000x... I've paid around a grand or so for two portable cans... [more than that after I get my W1000x recabeld and Balanced]

I ought to see what an actual $500MSRP + closed back sounds like <.< time I see if all my upgrades are worth while 

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #64 of 2,679
What's your budget? I have a hybrid Noir cable from Forza Audioworks. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Shipping is expensive though if you use EMS from Poland

Appreciate offer, but prolly out of range, especially with shipping.  Just looking for a shorter cable, not necessarily and "upgraded" cable.  Ill check out BTG

Feb 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #65 of 2,679
  Appreciate offer, but prolly out of range, especially with shipping.  Just looking for a shorter cable, not necessarily and "upgraded" cable.  Ill check out BTG

If anything just send Brian an Email, he's a nice guy to talk to. I'll post what my cable looks like when I get in, 

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #66 of 2,679
I'm i the process of buying one of these two (Grado PS 500, or Shure 1540), but i have a small head and no one has said enough about the SRH1540 fit, i would really appreciate any details in clamping power. For example AKG 550 was too big/loose for me.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #67 of 2,679
  I'm i the process of buying one of these two (Grado PS 500, or Shure 1540), but i have a small head and no one has said enough about the SRH1540 fit, i would really appreciate any details in clamping power. For example AKG 550 was too big/loose for me.

AKG K550 is big/loose for almost anyone! LOL.
The Shure's are Ok.
No strong clamping pressure, do note that they extend more "outward" than downward.
Other than that, it's excellent.

Haven't tried those Grados.

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #68 of 2,679
Received mine. So far, 15min, almost exactly what im lookin for. I would really like to hear denon 600 still, but these will be hard to beat. Id say these sound pretty close to asg2.....these lean more to subbass, not as thick of mids, very detailed. Sou.d stage is fantastic. Emailed btg audio, lookin for 4ft chord. Anyone have d600 wanna trade foe asg2 (for a week or so, not straight up deal for keep)

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #69 of 2,679
Received mine. So far, 15min, almost exactly what im lookin for. I would really like to hear denon 600 still, but these will be hard to beat. Id say these sound pretty close to asg2.....these lean more to subbass, not as thick of mids, very detailed. Sou.d stage is fantastic. Emailed btg audio, lookin for 4ft chord. Anyone have d600 wanna trade foe asg2 (for a week or so, not straight up deal for keep)

Had the Denons... More isolation, better leakage control. Comfort is actually quite similar though I like the Alcantara pads more. Sound-wise, Shure beats it from everything from bass control, mids, details, imaging and highs. Found the D600s inconsistent especially at their initial price offered (I think it was $400?). Now you can get them used for less than $270 or so, not bad but yeah, personally I preferred Shure's sound overall.

** Do note that all this is from memory **

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #71 of 2,679
I'm looking at the 1540's.....my current amps are the Audio-GD NFB-6, 11.32, and the Bravo Audio Ocean.  What I like in a headphone is bell like clarity in the treble (even if it is a little tipped up). a luscious, seductive midrange that isn't sucked out or anemic, and a very solid, forceful bass that doesn't completely overwhelm the midrange.  Is this a headphone I should be looking at, or are there any suggestions? 

Right now I have the PSB M4U-2, Grado SR-60, and AKG-172HD.  The PSB's are a good all-rounder with a bit of an edge, the AKG's are very detailed but lack in the bass, and the SR-60's are nice, but a clear step below the others in every way.  Formerly had the Sennheiser HD580's (way too warm, smooth), but that could have been my (former) Creek headphone amp.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #72 of 2,679
  I'm looking at the 1540's.....my current amps are the Audio-GD NFB-6, 11.32, and the Bravo Audio Ocean.  What I like in a headphone is bell like clarity in the treble (even if it is a little tipped up). a luscious, seductive midrange that isn't sucked out or anemic, and a very solid, forceful bass that doesn't completely overwhelm the midrange.  Is this a headphone I should be looking at, or are there any suggestions? 

Right now I have the PSB M4U-2, Grado SR-60, and AKG-172HD.  The PSB's are a good all-rounder with a bit of an edge, the AKG's are very detailed but lack in the bass, and the SR-60's are nice, but a clear step below the others in every way.  Formerly had the Sennheiser HD580's (way too warm, smooth), but that could have been my (former) Creek headphone amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/1005#post_10247577

90bucks to join the latest train ride:p

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #73 of 2,679

The D600s are great for EDM but i think after a year you'll be like me and want something with more pronounced highs. I'm planning on buying the 1540s to replace my D600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back