Shure SRH1540 Review
Jan 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #34 of 2,671
  which one gives you better imaging and detail retrieval? kef or shure? would you consider to use the shure as a portable or is it looking as stupid as the srh940 did?

Shure no doubt!
And yes, it still looks "stupid" and weird on the head because they still extend "down and outward" instead of just down...

This is kind of interesting. Do audiophiles have special hearing or something?
When my friends demoed SRH1540 and M500, 3 out of 3 of them said M500 was more bass heavy and sounded better. I have the opposite view. None of them were audiophiles, but this is still interesting. It is as if I'm hearing things differently from them.

So, whose right? I still believe I'm right, as SRH1540 has more bass from 30hz to 100hz, which is where most bass is located. My hearing doesn't extend too deep, so that might be the issue here. But this still brings an interesting point. While the graphs shows that SRH1540 has more treble presence, I am really convinced that M500 has much more bright and harsh treble. I guess graphs can't tell everything. Any other SRH1540 owners that can confirm my opinion on SRH1540's treble?

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4273&graphID[]=4263&scale=20

They probably say that the M500 sounds more bass heavy because it's a more "closed-in" kind of experience and sub-bass is a bit more up-front (at least to my ears). Both cans are kind of warm, I don't feel either of them are really bright and BOTH can get harsh at times with fast/involving tracks but they didn't kill/substract enjoyment for the tracks I tested. I still enjoyed and liked both of these and they are good recommendations.

And now I'm thorn, I used to own 940's before they broke and now they come out with this, I have to debate between getting the 1540's or alpha dogs. Damn you headfi frontpage.

Alpha Dogs!

Wonder how they fare against the Alpha Dogs

Comparison summary, 

Bass quantity: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Bass quality: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Mids presentation: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540
Soundstage/imaging: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs == SRH1540
Highs: Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p
Sound Isolation/Leakage: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Fun Factor: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Price: Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #36 of 2,671
  fabulous!
what about Ultrasone Signature DJ ?

Using that same scale? LOL

Bass quantity: Signature DJs --> SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Bass quality: Alpha Dogs == Signature DJs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Mids presentation: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540 --> Signature DJs
Soundstage/imaging: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Signature DJs
Highs: Alpha Dogs --> Signature DJs --> SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p
Sound Isolation/Leakage: Alpha Dogs --> Signature DJs == Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Fun Factor: Signature DJs --> SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Price: Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Signature DJs --> Beyer T5p

:p

Of course this is just my opinion.
You'll have to weigh a few things of course if you were to select one of these and also your preferences and your gear (i.e. what you'll use to drive these). Shures are:

1) Easy to drive
2) VERY comfortable
3) Cost less than the other 3 while providing a fun warm-ish sound signature
etc

If you absolutely need comfort, the Shures --> ADs --> Beyer --> Sig DJs.
But then comes the leakage/isolation bit and one takes precedence over the other, etc,. etc. There's no formula for picking the best unless you actually try them at some point.

I think Shure did a good job with these though, just not good enough to keep it/prefer it over the Alpha Dogs (or others at my house...)

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 2,671
Great review, congrats on the front page!

Rich bass you say, that's quite interesting as I think the 1440 and 1840 would be great headphones for different taste have they added a few more decibels on the bass region. Would you say the sound sig resembles the 1440 or the 1840 more?

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #38 of 2,671
Great review, congrats on the front page!

Rich bass you say, that's quite interesting as I think the 1440 and 1840 would be great headphones for different taste have they added a few more decibels on the bass region. Would you say the sound sig resembles the 1440 or the 1840 more?
Tbh, i think they are better then 1840. But sound sig is more like 1840. 1440 is quite boring. Think of a more fun and clearer sounding 1840. They do sound very different though.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #39 of 2,671
Hello kimvictor,

Nice, short review.  I know these are closed, but do you mind putting in a word of how they stack up to a HD650?  I'm always looking for a closed alternative to keep in mind for the rare occasion that I do travel.  The added 'portability' and comfort that these have is appealing; as is the fact that they are closed.

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #40 of 2,671

Shure no doubt!
And yes, it still looks "stupid" and weird on the head because they still extend "down and outward" instead of just down...

They probably say that the M500 sounds more bass heavy because it's a more "closed-in" kind of experience and sub-bass is a bit more up-front (at least to my ears). Both cans are kind of warm, I don't feel either of them are really bright and BOTH can get harsh at times with fast/involving tracks but they didn't kill/substract enjoyment for the tracks I tested. I still enjoyed and liked both of these and they are good recommendations.

Alpha Dogs!

Comparison summary, 

Bass quantity: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Bass quality: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Mids presentation: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540
Soundstage/imaging: Beyer T5p --> Alpha Dogs == SRH1540
Highs: Alpha Dogs --> SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p
Sound Isolation/Leakage: Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p --> SRH1540
Fun Factor: SRH1540 --> Alpha Dogs --> Beyer T5p
Price: Alpha Dogs == SRH1540 --> Beyer T5p

Thanks for this, but Im not sure I got the '-->' comparison correctly! :) 
So, A --> B means that B is better than A? (in the  forum many people use > as a mathematical A>B, A more than B)

So over all SRH is a bit better than ADs. Nice to know! Thanks

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #41 of 2,671

Thanks for this, but Im not sure I got the '-->' comparison correctly! :) 
So, A --> B means that B is better than A? (in the  forum many people use > as a mathematical A>B, A more than B)

So over all SRH is a bit better than ADs. Nice to know! Thanks

You got that wrong ; A>B means A wins. take the bass quantity and quality as an example. While the 1540 > AD in bass QUANTITY.       The AD > 1540 in bass QUALITY.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #42 of 2,671
  Hello kimvictor,

Nice, short review.  I know these are closed, but do you mind putting in a word of how they stack up to a HD650?  I'm always looking for a closed alternative to keep in mind for the rare occasion that I do travel.  The added 'portability' and comfort that these have is appealing; as is the fact that they are closed.

Thanks.

TBH, I don't have much experience with HD650. I only had like 15min demo on them.

But from what I memory, SRH1540 are much easier to drive, and much more practical for travel use. Both are super comfortable, and SRH1540 are much more portable due to it being closed back. Speaking of sounds, I feel like SRH1540 has more details, but HD650 images better and has a more wide sound stage.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #43 of 2,671

You got that wrong ; A>B means A wins. take the bass quantity and quality as an example. While the 1540 > AD in bass QUANTITY.       The AD > 1540 in bass QUALITY.

Yup... THIS! :wink:

Thanks.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #44 of 2,671
first hour on my head. so far i am impressed. will update my impressions until sunday. damn shure seems to create headphones just for me. to bad that they fail in the iem business, at least for my preferences...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back