Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!
Oct 11, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #31 of 164
Quote:
 TBH there are quite a selection of headphones at 940's price-range that excel much more.

Such as?

Really, I'm interested as my band literally cracked in half and so they are rendered useless (luckily I have several other cans to listen to and don't listen to cans that often anyway).

But I LOVE the 940's SS, literally the best I've heard for my tastes (although they can sound somewhat "dry" with some amps). I'd love to find the same/similar SS with some durability!

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #33 of 164
Quote:

Such as?

Really, I'm interested as my band literally cracked in half and so they are rendered useless (luckily I have several other cans to listen to and don't listen to cans that often anyway).

But I LOVE the 940's SS, literally the best I've heard for my tastes (although they can sound somewhat "dry" with some amps). I'd love to find the same/similar SS with some durability!

Quote:
Yeah, I'd like to find a good portable alternative too.
Today, what most popular headphone offers is mid-bass emphasis with recessed highs.

Heya,

Look into the AKG K550 and Beyer T70P. The T70 was very similar to the SRH940 to me, surprisingly similar. Great Beyer durability, great comfort, very sleek looking. You can get them from Amazon warehouse in the $300's. Very similar big sound stage for a closed headphone, with the emphasis on the mids & treble.

Review in my signature.

Very best,

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #34 of 164
my friend's srh940 broke at the right earcup too after 1 year of use like the pictures, so they fold outwards too. took 1.5 months and about $60 to get it fixed and he doesn't plan to ditch it anytime soon,so... any has suggestions to prevent this cracking issue again?

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #35 of 164
Quote:

Heya,

Look into the AKG K550 and Beyer T70P. The T70 was very similar to the SRH940 to me, surprisingly similar. Great Beyer durability, great comfort, very sleek looking. You can get them from Amazon warehouse in the $300's. Very similar big sound stage for a closed headphone, with the emphasis on the mids & treble.

Review in my signature.

Very best,

Thanks, I will look into them.

But if the T70 is anything like my DT 770's that won't work because I find that to be all lows and sharp highs with sucked out mids. That turned me off to BD's.

And though I like my 702's, the 940's are much better imo. So I'm not enthusiastic that different AKG's will be better either.

I'm just saying that I don't think, going by the general house sound of AKG and BD, that I will like different models of either than what I have over the 940's.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #36 of 164
Quote:

Such as?

You could try the KRKs 8400 headphones ... still, I find them a bit colder but it does provide enough details (mids and highs) to make them a good candidate as a SRH940 replacement.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #37 of 164
Quote:

Thanks, I will look into them.

But if the T70 is anything like my DT 770's that won't work because I find that to be all lows and sharp highs with sucked out mids. That turned me off to BD's.

And though I like my 702's, the 940's are much better imo. So I'm not enthusiastic that different AKG's will be better either.

I'm just saying that I don't think, going by the general house sound of AKG and BD, that I will like different models of either than what I have over the 940's.

I have had the 940s for better than a year now and was just at CanJam yesterday and got to listen to the T70. The T70 sounds extremely close to the 940. Unfortunately I did not see a 940 at the show so I could compare both while I was there but I did put my 940s on when I got home a few hours later and thought it sounded the same. I would say the 940 has just a touch more sub bass.
I got to compare the T70 vs. the T70P as well using my own setup and thought the T70 was hands down better but only if using an amplifier. I was using a Fiio E17 with an iPod 5th gen. Without an amplifier I would give the nod to the T70P.
The representative the from Beyerdynamic was great. He let me and a friend listen to anything we wanted and was interested in feedback.
In the end I have decided to keep my 940s. While I really like the T70, it is so close to the 940 that I feel it would be a waste of money for me. If I had neither of them right now I would have to listen to then very carefully side be side to determine which I would take home.

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #38 of 164
Quote:
I have had the 940s for better than a year now and was just at CanJam yesterday and got to listen to the T70. The T70 sounds extremely close to the 940. Unfortunately I did not see a 940 at the show so I could compare both while I was there but I did put my 940s on when I got home a few hours later and thought it sounded the same. I would say the 940 has just a touch more sub bass.
I got to compare the T70 vs. the T70P as well using my own setup and thought the T70 was hands down better but only if using an amplifier. I was using a Fiio E17 with an iPod 5th gen. Without an amplifier I would give the nod to the T70P.
The representative the from Beyerdynamic was great. He let me and a friend listen to anything we wanted and was interested in feedback.
In the end I have decided to keep my 940s. While I really like the T70, it is so close to the 940 that I feel it would be a waste of money for me. If I had neither of them right now I would have to listen to then very carefully side be side to determine which I would take home.

funny, had the chance also to test out the T70P at a convention to cpmpare with my friend's SRH940 as well, thought the T70P was not a good upgrade seeing what the both sounded like, IMO i felt the SRH940 was similar in detail, while the T70P was slightly better in other areas. the T70P was probably about 2-3 small steps better than the SRH940 overall i feel, but at the price difference... i would take the SRH940

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #40 of 164
Quote:
But if the srh940 breaks too easily ....
It seems that the t70 could be find for 300$ at amazon, only if they are already  used.

well yeah Shures break rather easily unfortunately...(as my post somewhere above mentioned)
and i can't use amazon here, no credit card. so the stuff have to be bought new from jaben

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #41 of 164
Thanks for the feedback/suggestions guys!

Seems I really need to check out the T70. I'm also going to contact Shure and see what they will do to fix my band break (haha).

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #42 of 164
Hmm.. What amps or dacs are you guys using to power your Shure SRH 940? 
How much benefit does it gain?
I'm thinking of buying $100-$220 for amp or dacs with my iPhone 5. Any suggestions? 

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #43 of 164
My 6mth old SRH940 decided to go softer on the left ear driver than the right.  As a result - its pretty annoying to listen to most songs.  Looks like I'll have to go back to Jaben this weekend....

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #44 of 164
Quote:
Hmm.. What amps or dacs are you guys using to power your Shure SRH 940? 
How much benefit does it gain?
I'm thinking of buying $100-$220 for amp or dacs with my iPhone 5. Any suggestions? 

Heya,

They are efficient headphones and run from anything. You will not notice some amazing new magical aspect putting them on a $100~220 worth of amplification. You could benefit from a new DAC, but only if your current source DAC is poor by a margin and if your music media you're playing back is of extremely high quality.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back