Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!
Jun 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 164

Rhuidk

Head-Fier
Hey guys! 

I own a Shure srh 940 headphone and I would like to get some of advice and help from you, head-fiers. 

So, I bought my first 940 around October 2011 and within the first two weeks, there was a crack on the right side of the headphone. Thankfully, the seller of the headphone gladly accepted a return from me and sent me a brand new one. Unfortunately, around end of may or so, there's another crack, but now with even two more cracks. 

I really took lots of care and love ever since I have bought them, but it seems like the headphone just doesn't like me or it's gotta do something about my head. 
So, I contacted Shure because the seller only accepted 30 day return/purchase, and tells me they would repair it. I would love to get this repaired but the thing I'm concerned about is that these cracks would form even with the new ones. I would hate to keep sending my headphone to Shure back and forth to get it repaired.
So what I'm wondering is if Shure would ever let me have some sort of refund or exchange in models. I already have asked them but they said no.. :frowning2: But, is there any possibility? I absolutely love my headphone, but I would have to change them since I assume cracks would form even with the new ones. 

Did anyone else have had some sort of same situation as me before? maybe with another headphone? What did you guys do to solve your problem? 
Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Thanks guys!

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 164
Hum , I've just looked at my srh940, and saws cracks just like in  your second picture. Much smaller, but I guess they will spread with time.  I  should put some super glue.

If you look at japanese amazon, you'd see lot of complain regarding built quality.
Here's an other pic I  found uploaded by a customer:

More pics here:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B005EBAUOG/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2?ie=UTF8&index=2&isremote=0

And finally the most scary:

I'm thinking that shure headphone are programmed to break after some use, but for some user (with big head or whatever) , it's accelerated.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 164
Wow! That's insane!

Hmm.. I guess I'm not the only one with the crack.. But the crack shown on the first picture really bothers me a lot. When I wear my headphone, it feels like the right cup is floating in the air.. 

As owners of SRH-940, is there anything that we can do about it other than just keep sending the headphone for repair back and forth? The amount of time and shipping fees would be insane! :frowning2:

And yeah, I think I got a pretty big head.. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 164
Quote:
Wow! That's insane!

Hmm.. I guess I'm not the only one with the crack.. But the crack shown on the first picture really bothers me a lot. When I wear my headphone, it feels like the right cup is floating in the air.. 

As owners of SRH-940, is there anything that we can do about it other than just keep sending the headphone for repair back and forth? The amount of time and shipping fees would be insane! :frowning2:

And yeah, I think I got a pretty big head.. 

You send them for repair a last time, and resell them (ebay, or here)  and buy an other headphone.
Unfortunately I  cannot do this.

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 164
How much do you think we can get from selling it? 
And if we send it in for repair, do we get a brand new one in sealed box? Cause if so, I think I can get bit more money from selling it. 

Other than selling, do you think there is another way?

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 164
Well, it's you that decide of the price. But off course, the lower is the price, the easier you can resell them.
Let's say, you resell them, with at least 30% less, compared to the lowest price in the market as new (now 250$)
Or you could see how much they are sold as used elsewhere.

Quote:
And if we send it in for repair, do we get a brand new one in sealed box?

I  don't know , you could ask user ac500, he breaked his srh940, and his headphone was replaced by warranty.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 164
Haven't experienced that with any of the Shure headphones I've had... but, I treat my headphones like I treat my.... self... (rather well... hehehe :p)

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 164
I  don't know , you could ask user ac500, he breaked his srh940, and his headphone was replaced by warranty.

Thanks for the info!

Haven't experienced that with any of the Shure headphones I've had... but, I treat my headphones like I treat my.... self... (rather well... hehehe :p)

I really have treated my headphone like I treat myself as well. But, I think it's gotta do something with my head or something.. my head is just too big I guess compared to many others.. :p

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 164
I have the same cracks on my SRH940. They have been there since November. I use mine daily for many hours a day, I listen to them at work all day. 
The cracks keep getting a little worse but so far they have not broken.
I contacted Shure about it and sent pictures. I asked for spare parts to fix them myself and they said no. They would gladly fix them if I sent them in but would not provide the parts for me to fix them myself.
So now I'm just waiting to see if they break because I don't want to be without them to send them in.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 164
Shure headphones use relatively crappy plastic, this is a relatively well-known fact with its previous headphones especially the SRH750DJ. However one would think that they'd use better and more reinforced plastic for the newer and more expensive 940, guess they didn't.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 164
This thread has reassured me...so relieved.  I bought Shure SRH940's and didn't notice the cracks...today, they snapped on the right side.  All I did was take them off my head, and I did so gently as well...the things cracked and I got scared...going to call Shure in a bit!

PS: Mine resemble the "Most scary one" in the OP.

Suggestion: If you can, refrain from having the extenders out at all...this would provide a small amount of reinforcement and perhaps prevent, or atleast slow-down, the cracking.

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 164
Do you guys suspect that Shure would still replace it even if it's out of warranty?  Considering that it's a manufacturer/designer error, I would expect them to.

I'm still within warranty, but I don't want to be left with broken headphones after my warranty is up due to Shure's mistakes.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 164
Quote:
Do you guys suspect that Shure would still replace it even if it's out of warranty?  Considering that it's a manufacturer/designer error, I would expect them to.

I'm still within warranty, but I don't want to be left with broken headphones after my warranty is up due to Shure's mistakes.

no experience dealing with shure but highly doubt it...

Jun 18, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 164
This is how my SHR750DJ arrived straight out of the sealed box. I cut the seal, took them out of the plastic bag and this pieice was freely loose inside. it could not be screwed back on, if you look closely the entire thread had snapped because that screw had been over tightened. In my situation the seller (Addicted to Audio) would not exchange them for another pair. I had to go straight through Shure. The plastic build on these headphones is very average, they may look great in pictures but real life they feel cheap. I'll never buy Shure again. I know of another member who's SHR750DJ snapped at the hinge while putting them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back