Shure SRH-940 Crack and their service!
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #151 of 164
sofastreamer, your post inspired me, as well as another guy who replaced also his headband with a cheap headset (Marley something).

Quick revival story of my shure srh940, which I very much like, besides structural problems that I have been trying to patch with epoxy resin and other tricks, but finally the headband itself stareted to crack and get loose on both side, so it was time for some more serious rework. I ordered a cheap headset (Artic P533, 35€ on Amazon) to get the heandband and mount the shure cups on it. The good side of the artic headset is its metal structure, enabling an easy rework and adaptation of the branch witdth, without breaking anything. as the shure cups have a different width. Also having the cable easily accessible made my life easier. After hesitating a bit, I finally decided to reuse the wire already mounted from the Artic headset (red cable), as the shure cable inside the original headband is quite thin therefore fragile. just some quick work with solder iron and voila ...
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01ARGW9NW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For those who wonder, I tested the Artic P533 for 5 minutes just for curiosity, it sounds crap ... no regrets ! Its best asset is being very DIY friendly !

Here we go, brand new Shure Artic with a solid and comfy headband, even lighter than the original :)

40c5f6e38d6fc896166f066e0dda36b88b5ef835.jpg

a660bee98ea1ef6477caf8c90d899b3497299c7f.jpg

4b713253cbaba568036f5c192c10ee63b25bc64f.jpg

1ff6768f20f8153c884e41635ff5ac0a4811037c.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #152 of 164
sofastreamer, your post inspired me, as well as another guy who replaced also his headband with a cheap headset (Marley something).

Quick revival story of my shure srh940, which I very much like, besides structural problems that I have been trying to patch with epoxy resin and other tricks, but finally the headband itself stareted to crack and get loose on both side, so it was time for some more serious rework. I ordered a cheap headset (Artic P533, 35€ on Amazon) to get the heandband and mount the shure cups on it. The good side of the artic headset is its metal structure, enabling an easy rework and adaptation of the branch witdth, without breaking anything. as the shure cups have a different width. Also having the cable easily accessible made my life easier. After hesitating a bit, I finally decided to reuse the wire already mounted from the Artic headset (red cable), as the shure cable inside the original headband is quite thin therefore fragile. just some quick work with solder iron and voila ...
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B01ARGW9NW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For those who wonder, I tested the Artic P533 for 5 minutes just for curiosity, it sounds crap ... no regrets ! Its best asset is being very DIY friendly !

Here we go, brand new Shure Artic with a solid and comfy headband, even lighter than the original :)
1ff6768f20f8153c884e41635ff5ac0a4811037c.jpg
Hey ManuLM, your pictures disappeared, do you still have them? Also, how is the Shure Arctic holding up? :k701smile: Are you still using them? I fixed my cracked 940 with JB Weld plastic weld and they're still holding together but the entire headphone has started creaking whenever I move my head, so I was looking to do a DYI, metal-band replacement.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #153 of 164
Hi dracuella ...
actually I do. And also the repair worked out very well, still in good shape 4 years later.

Accessible over here, this is in french but the pictures are self explaining ... (the host does not allow direct link from other sites than the french forum, like Head-Fi)
https://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Video...-studios-nomades-sujet_61278_911.htm#t2174304

Meanwhile I saw Shure is still selling them. Anyone knows if the plastic is still problematic ?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #154 of 164
Thanks, that looks really nice (and my French is super rusty but google translate helped me out xD). Now to find a place that will sell me Arctic p533s at less than £60 incl postage >_>
Re the build quality, I don't think it's been fixed. The original SRH840s (not the new EFS ones, I don't know about those) which suffered from similar issues (cracks in the joints and extender arm) still suffer from this. Before I got around to fixing my 940, I purchased a 840 set on sale as a temporary replacement. Despite having a small head and being extremely careful, they still broke within 6 months. I do have them on all day and as such take them on/off a lot but yeah, I'm never purchasing Shure cans that have plastic headbands/joints again.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #156 of 164
Jan 20, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #158 of 164
Hey guys, I will replace the headband of the Shure SRH 940 with the headband of the HyperX Cloud II. But I was wondering if it also would be good enough if I just place the speaker from the SRH 940 to another pair of headphones. Will this work too or are there any issues I'm not aware of?
Thank you!

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #159 of 164
Hi,
you mean moving the speakers out of the existing cups and placing them in the cups of another pair of headphones ?
If so I think this is a bad idea. Cups have been designed by shure to deliver a proper sound, changing the shape and volume of it sounds very hazardeous.
On top of that managing to make the speakers fit new cups may not be so easy: shape may not fit in, you speed specific assembly points so that the speakers don't move around or vibrate against the cups, so it might end up being not feasible, or a lot of work, for a reasult that might be not so great
So stick to the existing cups :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #160 of 164
Hi guys,

here my new repair option for Shure SRH 940.
I used the headband of an Bluedio F2.

20171029_212251.jpg 20171029_212150.jpg 20171029_212125.jpg 20171029_212102.jpg 20171027_183618.jpg
Hi!
How your new headband is going?
I`ve read that that Bluedio model had a problem with the inner cable (that goes inside headband) - it`s just starting fray from turning the cup holder(s), and then breaks.
Haven`t you encountered this problem?

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #161 of 164
Hi!
How your new headband is going?
I`ve read that that Bluedio model had a problem with the inner cable (that goes inside headband) - it`s just starting fray from turning the cup holder(s), and then breaks.
Haven`t you encountered this problem?

Hi Wheelly,

well, the headband is still fine.
But i had a cable break somewhere about 2 years ago and never repaired it.
But the headband hold up very well about 5 years daily use :)

Jan 21, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #162 of 164
Hey guys, I will replace the headband of the Shure SRH 940 with the headband of the HyperX Cloud II. But I was wondering if it also would be good enough if I just place the speaker from the SRH 940 to another pair of headphones. Will this work too or are there any issues I'm not aware of?
Thank you!

Hi matzebb,

i tried something similar.
I took the drivers/speakers of my second SRH940 and placed them in the cups of a Denon ahd mm400...
Well it worked but didn't sound well after all :-D

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #163 of 164
Hi Wheelly,

well, the headband is still fine.
But i had a cable break somewhere about 2 years ago and never repaired it.
But the headband hold up very well about 5 years daily use :)
Thanks for quick answer!

Well, I liked the look of your mod so much, I have just cheaply bought Bluedio F2 off Ebay. I have some soldering skills so I think I`ll be able to fix broken cable in the future somehow.

Before, about a month ago, I`ve bought second-hand srh940 for about $48 (full set with cables, ear cushions, and case). It`s headband had been already broken (and fixed with superglue) from one side, and no one wanted buying it. Well, I thought that was a great deal and boy, that really was.

Funny thing, though, is that second hinge, that was intact just a month ago, snapped just day before yesterday.

Clearly, the cans were so impatient to finally get a good headband from me, they wanted to rush me to buy a new one.

I would say that original headband is well worth changing even if it would be sturdy as hell. The possibiliy of foldind the cans is it`s only virtue. Actually, I was amazed by how designers could create something this ugly and uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #164 of 164
Well, my Bluedio F2 have finally arrived.

BTW I was unpleasantly surprised at how low quality they were comparing to was I had seen on pictures. The leatherette on the headband literally screams "I am cheap" when holding it in your hands. But the construction itself and swivel joints do seem much more robust, that on srh940...

And speaking about sound of these headphones...Well, from one side it is not horrible :) The tonal balance is ok, just mid-bass is bloated and on some tracks covers the low middles area.
From the other side, there is almost no sound stage (I mean the stage in my earphones Hifiman Re-400 is wider than in F2). There is almost no details in compositions. When listening to a well mastered jazz track in Tidal Hi-Res, changing headphones from srh940 to F2 is very much like swithing from Hi-Res to MP3 64 kbit/s (not even 128 kbit/s) - everything sounds so simpler and duller.

But, again the lack of details (and high frequencies in general) and small (non-existent really) stage does not mean that F2 sound awful and you cannot enjoy music in them. Nope, you defiitely can. Listening to some classical stuff I was pleasently surprised at timbres of piano and violin - they sound quite natural, although very "simple". It's just like looking through a stained, dirty glass at a beautiful landscape - you can still enjoy the scenery, but it's much nicer to do it through a clean glass (srh940) :)

Also bought a new cable from Aliexpress (it`s literally WEIGHTLESS comparing to original coiled cable that weighs about a tonn).

If someone interested, it is silver plated copper cable and while being of superb quality, it shows just a very slight difference in sound, namely - a little bit lacking of mid-bass. Deep bass, mids and highs are absolutely equal to original cable, it`s just VERY SLIGHT difference in mid-bass that makes music more "transparent". And if you have listened to these headphones at least for one second, you know for sure, that they are absolutely great in terms of "transparency" and there is no need to make them more transparent :) BUT, to notice this difference, you need a really good source (in my case Mac Book Air M2 sound output - sounds amazing), hi-res track with a live instruments like acoustic guitar, and quiet environment. Next, you have to switch cables really fast to catch the difference...Again, even in these circumstanes it`s barely noticeable.

So, in real life, a new very light and short cable increases usability very much.

Next is the swap itself...

Attachments

• img_20240209_160409.jpg
    img_20240209_160409.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back