Shure SRH-840 Recable Mod
Jun 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ttl_ctrll

New Head-Fier
Hey what's up guys,

Not a frequent poster here but i'd like to share my recabling experience with you guys.

First and foremost i must say that i was quite a bit skeptical about the said benefits about using higher quality cables. I figured as long as the thing carries the electrons without resistance it must sound the same.

Well, knowing this i figured i'd give it a try using some speaker wires that were used for our sound system back in the day. I used monster 18 gauge cable for the entire mod and i must say it add quite a bit of weight to the headphones. I also used a phantom 3.5mm plug.

For the sound, the first thing i notices was the added "spark" to the highs. Upon further listening i noticed that the bass tightened up and the mids more life like. As i am writing those words i realize how hard it is to describe music using words... 

I guess now i believe in the ability of a cable to affect the sound. It makes sense because not all metals have the same conductivity and some might be able carry electrons in a way that makes music sound better. However im not sure ill buy gold cables anytime soon lol.

Let me know what you guys think about the mod!

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 12
does this improve the durability and sound quality?

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 12
Now to cover you placebo with shoelace and call it a day

Seriously, the only way I've heard a difference with a recable is when I did my friend's with silver cable with silver soldering and I did a high budget soldering job

It only made them more clear.

You should of got some 20-24 awg wiring to make them lighter and better sized cable. You might be spreading the power too far and causing problems with the mids. Just my $0.02

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 12
They sound definitively clearer. The SRH 840 stock has good highs but i hear extra detail in the upper frequencies on songs that I've been listening to for years. 

I thought about the placebo and its a reasonable claim. However, the cables were free so i have no economical reason to look for something that isnt there... All i can say is that i hear that the sound has slightly improved with the mod.

I actually used lead free silver solder on all joints to maximize conductivity.

As for the durability, the cables I used are encased in a thick plastic insulator and they look like they could take a fair amount of abuse.

Did you guys make any mods to your headphones that improve the sound? 

And BotByte, what do you mean by spreading the power too far?

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Don't let those naysayers take away from what is definitely an outstanding re-cable job.  I for one feel the 840s could use a little extra sparkle in the upper registers.  Take some time to allow the cable to burn-in and you'll start to really hear the difference.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 12
i say nay to naysayers 

They sound amazing but im looking for something smaller so up for sale they go!

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 12
it look AWKWARD !!!

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 12
That.....Looks.......AWESOME!! Really is that Jena wire there? IMo that's a bit bulky but I can see it adding warmth to the sound which IMO the SRH-840's need. Really that looks quite nice man and congrats!

I've recabled my old SRH-840 before and it indeed does help and I suggest anyone who has one to try it for themselves.

Quote:

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 12
HD840 look ridiculous with this pink braid but I hope it'll benefit the sound quality. Althoudh I'm a bit worried about this sparkle in the highs.... Many cans suffer from unnatural highs and the unmodded SRH-840 deffinitely are not one of them.

Jul 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 12
RIGHT ON BROTHA!  Ugly or not, you modded the *stuffing* out of those bad boys, and for that I salute you!  I actually wanted to do the same exact mod on mine, but I didn't have the man bits to pull it off. I eventually messed with these cans so much that on one of my mods I actually punctured the membrane of the element, and then, farewell to a good friend.  I loved these cans, and just adding a mono price heavier gauge cable that was soldered directly onto the element I thought improved the sound greatly.  However, I learned that I really don't know how to solder (or the solder that I was using was poor) and the connections kept on becoming loose which caused me to open and reopen the casing until I blasted a hole right through the element.  There are these little PC boards on the element where you are supposed to make the solder and the one on the element I busted fell off, it was a strange design.  Anyway, right on for your boldly stated mod.  You are a true patriot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back