SHURE sound signature?
Jan 18, 2011 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Frederick76

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, a new member here.

I currently own a pair of UE Triple Fi 10's and use to own the SHURE SE310's..
I tried out my friends SHURE SE535's and i seem to HATE the Shure sound signature..

I feel that everytime i listen to Shure IEM's, i feel that i'm listening to music through a cheap radio..
Just my own thoughts..

Anybody with me?

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 26
you are not alone. I also hate that "Shure sound". Why bother with multi-driver setups with crossovers if a single driver can be made to sound just as bad?

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 26
Yeah.. i find all shure headphones to be extremely flat.. even though when the SE310's have the tuned increased bass..

For the 535's, people say that they are one of the best IEM out there in the market.. but after listening to them.. they just sound like music from a cheap radio with instruments that are separated too clearly, everything sounds so far away.. the bass isnt that great aswell.. but everyone says the bass is awesome in the 535's.. i feel that they are definitely not worth the 500 MSRP..

I personally love the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's sound signature because it sounds warmer.. all instruments sound more combined and more like 'music'..though its warm, it doesnt sound muddy at all :) i love my Triple Fi 10's!!

Any other thoughts on the Shure sound signature?

I hope im not alone..haha

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 26
I do not like most of the Shure IEMs I have tried either. I'm not familiar with their line-up, so I can't tell you which ones I tried in particular, but they were the entry level models and I felt the mids were quite recessed. Vocals sounded plasticky or nasal to my ears.

Having said that, I did find the 535 to sound fantastic (and much better than the 530, for some reason). Pity about the price.
I'd also like to state that the SRH-440 headphone is very good. Would have kept my pair if it fit me better.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
I personally love the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's sound signature because it sounds warmer.. all instruments sound more combined and more like 'music'..though its warm, it doesnt sound muddy at all :) i love my Triple Fi 10's!!  

TF 10 is warmer than 533? Really?
I didn't own the 535 but I do own the 530 and shure is a lot warmer ,imho

I find them sound great. Doesn't sound like cheap radio at all (BTW what do you mean sound like cheap radio)

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 26
Yeah, i feel that the TF10's are warmer.. the instruments are more combined into one track.. while the 535's seem to have better instrument separation..
the instruments seem to be serparated too WELL, it lacks the warmth the TF 10's have.. but i suppose its something professional musicians need, which the 535 has..

And yes, i feel that everything under the SE420 is crap.. i own the 310's and they sound HORRIBLE for the price point it is being sold at though it has already been discontinued..everything is muddy and there is no bass at all..  The Westone UM1 sounds 10 times better than the 310's no doubt..and the UM1's are around HALF the price of the 310s..

But again, that's just my own POV..

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 26
If it is one thing I know, it is how to get a good seal. Still, I don't like how Shures are essentially midcentric.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 26
I got the srh440 model and se425. I can say that shure signature has good instrument separation. Piano, violin, vocal are heavenly with this heaphones. I
I think the sound signature for shure is described as balanced, smooth, not edgy and cohesive. It may sound too smooth for some ears. Its sound signature is somehow unheard in everyday stereo or playback devices.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 26
Shure IEMs are just very, very hard to fit properly. Otherwise, if you do get a good fit, the SE530/SE535 are amazing - probably the best headphones I've heard to date. Exceptionally natural, liquid smooth, effortlessly dynamic sound.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 26
Good seal is not the same as good fit in my opinion. You can have a comfortable seal and good isolation, but the sound quality may still not be optimal.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 26
I think the Shure lineup is made with a different goal in mind than many others. That is they are meant to sound natural.  I love my Westone 3 as my all around fun earphone. Sometimes though, I desire a more natural sound w/o bass emphasis etc. I bought a pair of Shure se315 recently and am enjoying their sound very much with acoustic..new age..vocal music etc. I don't think for anything that they sound like a cheap radio. I think that must be a seal issue. I do wish the fit was as good as westone..I could care less about the removable cable that is strong as a bike lock..I just wish I could wear it and not feel it like westone cables. I also have the Shure 750 dj cans and love them for the times when I don't use Iem's. IMHO, they have the Shure sound and great bass/soundstage. I also have had the 535 and 425 in the past few months and at their price point..I couldn't like them enough over my W3 to keep them as my main Iem. The 315 however I got for $140 and am happy to have it for a change of pace.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 26
It's amazing how we all hear things differently. Being a JH-13 and UE-10 owner, I find the 535's to be an excellent headphone. The detail is fantastic and the bass is crisp, clean, and the way that I like it. 

If we all liked the same mate (husband/wife) there would be a lot of lonely people out there (every one fighting over the same girl). I have had the E4C's, E5C's, E500's and now the 530's. I found the 500's difficult to get along with, due to lack of wire management. The 535's have addressed all of those problems (memory wire and a slider on the cable for the back of the head). I feel the same way the OP does over my Ety ER4P's.

Obviously, as stated, seal is of utmost importance. Without that, then any IEM's are going to sound thin and lack bass. I happen to like the baby blue small tri-flanges that Etymotic sells. They are the same thing as regular tri-flanges, but about 20% smaller. Next in line are the foamies.

If you don't like them, and are getting a good seal, nothing is going to change that. Just like the K701's, which I find dull and lifeless even though if you listen really hard you can hear good detail, other's swear by them. I feel the same way about the O2 stats.

To each his own. Good thing there are many choices to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back