Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #22,786 of 22,945
Hi guys, trying to mod the blue tube and i think mine got old (1st gen) and the foam fall out of the tube in pieces. Anyone has experience replacing the foam and using what? i found some foam in aliexpress for sony wondering if i can use those instead of ordering the whole tube.

Currently using the blue tube without foam and it does sounds a bit bright to my ear, i had to use a minimal phase/slow late filter on my fc6 dongle but it still does sounds fantastic after so many years or service. it does not shy to so many IEMs on the market even the current king of airy and sound-stage planners. the bass and mids are par to none. but please do try out the hiby fc6, it's fantastic pair with the 846 for vocal with good bass kick.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #22,787 of 22,945
Hi guys, trying to mod the blue tube and i think mine got old (1st gen) and the foam fall out of the tube in pieces. Anyone has experience replacing the foam and using what? i found some foam in aliexpress for sony wondering if i can use those instead of ordering the whole tube.

Currently using the blue tube without foam and it does sounds a bit bright to my ear, i had to use a minimal phase/slow late filter on my fc6 dongle but it still does sounds fantastic after so many years or service. it does not shy to so many IEMs on the market even the current king of airy and sound-stage planners. the bass and mids are par to none. but please do try out the hiby fc6, it's fantastic pair with the 846 for vocal with good bass kick.
I’ve been experimenting with Knowles filter screens and currently have brown (1000ohm) + grey (330ohm) = 1330 in the white tube. Have also used single green (1500ohm) sounds great too. Brightness/airiness is close to 7hz timeless. Bass is tight with just the right impact.
I think the blue tube has a white Knowles screen which they rate at 680ohm so if you add another white screen from AliExpress you’ll have the sound like I have and I’m loving it!

Jan 30, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #22,788 of 22,945
Howdy all,

Is the issue still there? Anyway, the very first thing I would do is a continuity test. Assuming the electronics are OK, another thing to look at is the humidity in your region. Some things that may help is leaving your Shure:
  • with some silica gel packets within the case -- rice works too;
  • at an outlet of an A/C -- air is usually drier there;
  • some friend even let his earphone under the sun for some time -- I wouldn't.
If the issue is due moisture, the above should help addressing it in the short term. Note this is a big drama in ChiFi, especially for IEMs with balance armatures. Wait... But not only in the ChiFi world.

Cheers.

Thanks, bro. Will give these a crack. New Zealand in summer is usually 90% humidity or more.

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #22,789 of 22,945
Ive had my 846's for quite a while. They are my daily drivers for work, watching videos, music on on the road. I am still really happy with them so I decided to bite the bullet and get custom earmolds done. I have to say that overall Im a little disappointed. These buds are (mostly) atttached to the Shure TW2 adapters, between the adapter shape those and how hard it is to get the silicone into your ear makes it a frustrating process. You have to apply "lube" to the earmolds before inserting, not convenient..
Once they are in, they sound amd feel great.
Just curious if anyone has found a suitable work around?

IMG_5645.jpg

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #22,790 of 22,945
Ive had my 846's for quite a while. They are my daily drivers for work, watching videos, music on on the road. I am still really happy with them so I decided to bite the bullet and get custom earmolds done. I have to say that overall Im a little disappointed. These buds are (mostly) atttached to the Shure TW2 adapters, between the adapter shape those and how hard it is to get the silicone into your ear makes it a frustrating process. You have to apply "lube" to the earmolds before inserting, not convenient..
Once they are in, they sound amd feel great.
Just curious if anyone has found a suitable work around?

IMG_5645.jpg
I had the same issue with silicone molds, it's one of the things they don't tell you. My ears are an odd shape but I do have an ultimate ear custom IEM too which is acrylic and I have no issues with that. I just use the Comply SmartCore foam tips with the 846 with an adaptor, paired with the Fiio LC-RE pro cable and a Sony wm1am2, the "rubbish" European one. :wink:

My 846 is back on rotation so I just popped in to the thread to see what's occurring. I got mine in April 2017, obviously not used all the time but still sounding great for nearly 7 years old. :thumbsup:

Happy listening everyone.

Feb 11, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #22,791 of 22,945
Have SE846 gen2 for two weeks now and it's instantly my go to, midrange as clear as I'd hear from speakers, bass outstanding, because there where is a lot of bass, you get a lot of bass, there where is no bass, you get no bass, just as you would expect from monitoring speakers. It came as default with new extended filters preinstalled and to me highs extension lacks nothing, to me these sound like end game, stage is not as wide as on my Westone W80 or Mach80, but I get all the details and balance sounding extremely "right". My go to, even got me thinking about getting a second used pair as a future back up.
Amazing that these originally were released like in 2013...

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #22,792 of 22,945
For anyone with Gen1s you can get the red filters from Shure USA. It is my favorite. $17.29 plus $10 shipping. You just need to be creative in what you tell them. You got your Gen2s as a gift and lost the Reds and pick another like whites/blues so it is more credible. They will ask for proof and I told them I have no idea where my cousin got them from so I would have to contact him for the invoice as I no longer have the box as I LOVE the IEMs so no reason to keep it. The Shure rep didn't give me any trouble and got them last month. I ordered whites $12.02 glad I did seeing the Knowles mod which I am going to try. I got my 846's used at a great price so now have Gen2s.

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #22,793 of 22,945
For anyone with Gen1s you can get the red filters from Shure USA. It is my favorite. $17.29 plus $10 shipping. You just need to be creative in what you tell them. You got your Gen2s as a gift and lost the Reds and pick another like whites/blues so it is more credible. They will ask for proof and I told them I have no idea where my cousin got them from so I would have to contact him for the invoice as I no longer have the box as I LOVE the IEMs so no reason to keep it. The Shure rep didn't give me any trouble and got them last month. I ordered whites $12.02 glad I did seeing the Knowles mod which I am going to try. I got my 846's used at a great price so now have Gen2s.
And now a lot of people ordering had very generous cousin’s 😂

Mar 8, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #22,794 of 22,945
Other than profit, forcing loyal customers to buy the gen 2 before they can try the red filters makes no sense and will just convince customers to look elsewhere for their next IEM.

I'd love to try them but for moral reasons I will not lie to obtain them, I was brought up better than that.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #22,795 of 22,945
I would spend some money were the filters readily available, but it’s not really important to me… I still like the Gen 1 as is. And I won’t buy a Gen 2 just for the red filters… I think next to nobody will actually. So holding those back doesn’t give them any extra revenue.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #22,796 of 22,945
I tried to contact them about purchasing the red filters (1st gen SE846 owner). Not going to lie about my situation, wanted to see how rigid they really were about it. To my dismay, they did disappoint. They denied a SE846 and KSE1200 customer a simple filter purchase, only because of stubbornness.

Sad to say that I'm done with Shure. And not just this issue, but the earpieces of my super expensive my KSE1200 have begun to crack open (normal usage). My SE846 show cracking around the seams as well, so it's a matter of time. This filter nonsense is just the icing on top.

I have always loved Shure's sound signature and isolation, but cannot within reason continue with them.

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #22,797 of 22,945
I'm not surprised and I'm s(h)ure you are not alone with you opinion.

Sad to say that I'm done with Shure. And not just this issue, but the earpieces of my super expensive my KSE1200 have begun to crack open (normal usage). My SE846 show cracking around the seams as well, so it's a matter of time. This filter nonsense is just the icing on top.
That issue is fixable, mine did it too, resulting in driver flex crackles whenever I inserted the KSE. Mine was out of warranty, I could argue it but I can't be bothered.

If you want to repair it yourself, get some UV cure glue, its probably what Shure use anyway, apply a little with a pin or cocktail stick and cure it while clamped lightly and you'll be good to go.

Mar 8, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #22,798 of 22,945
I did not like lying to them but I knew it was the only way to get the Red filter. I was not blown over the top by the other ones so to me the Red filter makes the 846 a great IEM especially to my favorite genre of music I listen to. I think its outrageous that a company would not sell such a minor part to people that have already spent close to $1k on their Gen1s especially those that bought theirs at full price near the release of the Gen2s . I got my 846s used for a great price. I own 535s 4 years and 215s -had these for 8 years. I did not know of filter mods prior to getting the Red but now I do thanks to this forum. I will not be buying any more Shure products given their policy in the future. I don't see the need as I just got mint 2023 version of 64Audio U12Ts today used not even 1 year old. The U12Ts have much better detail, wider sound stage, and better treble for cost just above cost of new 846s, at least what I paid. I will still use my 846s when not at home as the U12Ts are too expensive to take to beach etc. I like the fit of the 846s better and they have better sound insultation from outside noise. I would highly recommend U12Ts but not for $2k. They are not twice as better as the 846s.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #22,799 of 22,945
I own both the SE846 Gen 1 and Gen 2. Bought both new and don't regret it one bit. I use my Gen 1 with the TW2 adapters and my Gen 2 wired. Got the second one because I don't like swapping cables frequently. I can see where Shure is coming from. If the nozzles weren't removable and if the filters were not so easily interchangeable, the Gen 2 would have been an iterative update no different than what any other manufacturer seems to be doing. I like that Shure doesn't try to push updates every year and their product cycles tend to last years.

I have owned a number of Shure products over the years and have been very satisfied with them. Started with the SE530 and SRH840, both fell apart after many years of daily abuse. Shure sold me new SE535s at a discount when my SE530s finally fell apart (was happy to pay since I was out of warranty). Still have the SE535, SE425, Aonic 50s 2x SE846s and even an MV7 mic. I know their products may not make everyone happy but I am certainly happy with mine.

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #22,800 of 22,945
I tried to contact them about purchasing the red filters (1st gen SE846 owner). Not going to lie about my situation, wanted to see how rigid they really were about it. To my dismay, they did disappoint. They denied a SE846 and KSE1200 customer a simple filter purchase, only because of stubbornness.

I have always loved Shure's sound signature and isolation, but cannot within reason continue with them.
The only reason why Shure does not sell red filters gen1 user is simply they want you to spend 1k again.

Shure made se846 unintentionally too durable that it last more than 5 years+ for many users. so people just buy once and be done with it. Shure in their true mind want to extract from existing customers but their own se846 is in their way lol. Classic American large corporation method.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back