Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #22,772 of 22,960
I know someone who might want to sell theirs. I can get the details if you want. Let me know.
Would love to. Hope that person ships to/ is in EU.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #22,774 of 22,960
Something slightly different, but Shure related and I cannot find a bigger thread than this one:

I am selling my KSE 1200 here on headfi, I really enjoyed them but I want to try new stuff.

If you're interested, check them out :)

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/shure-kse-1200.59118/

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #22,775 of 22,960
Jan 5, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #22,777 of 22,960
Hi all. I've loved my old SE-846s for many years and used the hell out of them. Unfortunately today the left earphone dropped 99% of its volume. Changed sources, cables, filters, same issue. Switched left and right sides of the cable and the left earphone still is extremely quiet (i.e. problem isolated to left earphone, not cable). If I crank my source (literally 100 on my laptop volume, where usual listening volume is roughly 14/100), I get a quiet, mid-range focused sound. I suspect it's not the drivers themselves, as I'd expect to have a whole lot more volume if just one of the drivers had died and it'd be surprising to have multiple simultaneous driver failures.

First question: anyone managed to fix this issue? I'm praying that its some dry solder or a loose connection. Looks like Shure just offer a replacement earbud for USD$300 plus shipping (which given I'm in the ass-end of the world, will be expensive).

Second question: anyone have the opposite issue and want to either sell me a function left earphone or buy my functional right earphone?

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #22,780 of 22,960
Shure 846 gen 1 is so good that the second gen barely changed anything except tweaking the driver and adding a red nozzle. It effectively ended my IEM exploration for other IEMs. Now I’m collecting Headphones instead… maybe I need a cheaper hobby.

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #22,781 of 22,960
Hi all. I've loved my old SE-846s for many years and used the hell out of them. Unfortunately today the left earphone dropped 99% of its volume. Changed sources, cables, filters, same issue. Switched left and right sides of the cable and the left earphone still is extremely quiet (i.e. problem isolated to left earphone, not cable). If I crank my source (literally 100 on my laptop volume, where usual listening volume is roughly 14/100), I get a quiet, mid-range focused sound. I suspect it's not the drivers themselves, as I'd expect to have a whole lot more volume if just one of the drivers had died and it'd be surprising to have multiple simultaneous driver failures.

First question: anyone managed to fix this issue? I'm praying that its some dry solder or a loose connection. Looks like Shure just offer a replacement earbud for USD$300 plus shipping (which given I'm in the ass-end of the world, will be expensive).

Second question: anyone have the opposite issue and want to either sell me a function left earphone or buy my functional right earphone?
I'd think it's probably a multiple driver failure, especially in the highs because you lost the volume. Maybe if it could be that a certain damper in your left IEM is wet, that could mean your drivers are working, but the sound is not reaching your ear. I'm assuming you've been treating it amazingly so most likely it isn't a solder coming loose

Jan 7, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #22,782 of 22,960
Shure 846 gen 1 is so good that the second gen barely changed anything except tweaking the driver and adding a red nozzle. It effectively ended my IEM exploration for other IEMs. Now I’m collecting Headphones instead… maybe I need a cheaper hobby.
Where did you see anything about tweaking a driver? All I read is they added the red filter and added a new metallic paint colour. I’m pretty sure they did nothing with the inards.

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #22,783 of 22,960
Where did you see anything about tweaking a driver? All I read is they added the red filter and added a new metallic paint colour. I’m pretty sure they did nothing with the inards.
I stand corrected. You are right.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #22,785 of 22,960
Howdy all,

Is the issue still there? Anyway, the very first thing I would do is a continuity test. Assuming the electronics are OK, another thing to look at is the humidity in your region. Some things that may help is leaving your Shure:
  • with some silica gel packets within the case -- rice works too;
  • at an outlet of an A/C -- air is usually drier there;
  • some friend even let his earphone under the sun for some time -- I wouldn't.
If the issue is due moisture, the above should help addressing it in the short term. Note this is a big drama in ChiFi, especially for IEMs with balance armatures. Wait... But not only in the ChiFi world.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back