Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #22,396 of 22,945
I love my SE846 Gen2 with red filter, but was just wondering, if one should choose a upgrade what would it be. I have just out of curiousity checked out a few mentioned options, but none of them actually had the smooth (what some call rolled of highs). I try to understand why so many people like so extreme highs or lows, both actually seriously hurt my eardrums in longer sessions than a few minutes.

Maybe I am more sensitive to that, for that reason I have electrostatic speakers ESL Martin Logans. one of the few normal tweeters I actually like is the diamond tweeter line of B&W 800, 802 series etc... but that combination with decent amplication cost even more than electrostatic speakers B&W diamond sound smooth. in comparison, a focal berylium tweeter can sound kind of harsh in comparison.

why that comparison? because all the options (and some of them were really expensive) all sound harsh or not really neutrally balanced IEM, either to much high till it hurts or to much low, to describe the feeling, sitting in a car with way to much ooommppf 200inch woofers build in.

so what would be a real upgrade IEM, with the same kind of smooth sound signature, just really curious :wink:
(forget the comparison in price, because in hifi that's lost anyway, a little upgrade can cost you sometimes twice as much, you don't. like that than better stop with hifi :p )

As @psikey said, the Sony IER-M9 are a decent option. I'm still experimenting with tips on mine but with some they are pretty close to the SE846, at least to my ears. The metal shell is what sold me as I tend to sleep wearing IEMs to fight off my tinnitus.

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #22,397 of 22,945
I love my SE846 Gen2 with red filter, but was just wondering, if one should choose a upgrade what would it be. I have just out of curiousity checked out a few mentioned options, but none of them actually had the smooth (what some call rolled of highs). I try to understand why so many people like so extreme highs or lows, both actually seriously hurt my eardrums in longer sessions than a few minutes.

Maybe I am more sensitive to that, for that reason I have electrostatic speakers ESL Martin Logans. one of the few normal tweeters I actually like is the diamond tweeter line of B&W 800, 802 series etc... but that combination with decent amplication cost even more than electrostatic speakers B&W diamond sound smooth. in comparison, a focal berylium tweeter can sound kind of harsh in comparison.

why that comparison? because all the options (and some of them were really expensive) all sound harsh or not really neutrally balanced IEM, either to much high till it hurts or to much low, to describe the feeling, sitting in a car with way to much ooommppf 200inch woofers build in.

so what would be a real upgrade IEM, with the same kind of smooth sound signature, just really curious :wink:
(forget the comparison in price, because in hifi that's lost anyway, a little upgrade can cost you sometimes twice as much, you don't. like that than better stop with hifi :p )
Possible upgrade depends on your other gear too. Currently Shure offers very good solution for wireless audio that others just cannot compete with. Their TW2 adapter has convinced me to stop messing with cables altogether.

Some recommendations from recent discussion are: 64 Audio U12t, Campfire Audio Andromeda, Sony IER-M9. If you are not interested in Chi-Fi products, then rest of the list is very short.

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #22,399 of 22,945
Hello. Will you Audiophile expert please tell me which of these two brands, AND which models, will have the best sound quality as FLAC player for my Shure SE846?
1. I like Sony Walkman Sport because it clips on to my clothes (but sound quality is what matters, not 'clip!).
2. I like Sony Walkman. And
3. I like SanDisk.

I'm totally overwhelmed by all the choices I see on Amazon, Ebay-Best Buy, and Ebay. I won't buy Fiio brand again because it's been money down the drain for me (software 'fixes', glitches, 'black screen' - horrid). I googled to try to find the best FLAC sound quality for Sony Walkman vs SanDisk, but I didn't get any 'hits' that focused only on sound quality.

Note: I do 'go through' FLAC/MP3 players - I can be outside walking around in the rain.....accidentally drop it in my glass of water, etc. - but I try to be very careful :) TYIA for replies - I GREATLY appreciate this wonderful group and the wonderful, lovely people here !! Trish in Minneapolis MN area

Nov 19, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #22,401 of 22,945
Any opinion about the SE846 2gen? Maybe a comparison with the SE846 1gen or other IEMs such Andromeda, IE900, Xelento 2, AirPods Pro 2?
Loving mine! But, the only difference in sound is the addition of the red filters, so really that’s the comparison, rather than the rest of the IEM. Apart from shell colours, but that’s just taste rather than anything material.

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #22,403 of 22,945
If anyone is interested or on the fence, Amazon has a 15% off on the Gen 2s which comes out about 50-60 cheaper than the Gen 1s.

Is this Amazon.com? I am keen to get a set of the Gen 2 in Jade but the UK price is £960 which is still MEGA money. Also keen to know if the mmcx connectors on the Gen 2 seem better than the Gen 1 as I had issues with my Gen 1 which is why I moved away from them but keen to go back if this is now solved. I will prob buy the Amazon gadget insurance on them too just because they are too expensive for me not to want 5+ yrs of use out of them.

TIA

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #22,404 of 22,945
Is this Amazon.com? I am keen to get a set of the Gen 2 in Jade but the UK price is £960 which is still MEGA money. Also keen to know if the mmcx connectors on the Gen 2 seem better than the Gen 1 as I had issues with my Gen 1 which is why I moved away from them but keen to go back if this is now solved. I will prob buy the Amazon gadget insurance on them too just because they are too expensive for me not to want 5+ yrs of use out of them.

TIA
Yep. There is a little 15% coupon check (music15 code) on the Gen2s. Can't answer the mmcx question on them, sorry.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #22,405 of 22,945
THought I'd drop by this thread as BH Photo has the SE846 on for $499 for 10 more hours at the time of this writing. It was the SE535 that sent me down this audio rabbit hole years ago when I discovered the knowles filters here on Head-Fi while "googling" how to get more bass out of the 535s. I came close to buying the 846 many times but then discovered or rather began to understand driver tech. Well, if you read my signature everything there and in the spoiler (and so much more) sprang out of the 535s and Head-fi. Today when I got notice in my inbox about the BH deal, I thought maybe I'll pick them up. They are the best isolating IEM i've ever had including my CIEMs.
So here's the question, are SE846s still relevant today after all these years and when I just took delivery of the Xelento 2 and have 2 new IMR units on the way?

Link to B&H Deal Here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #22,406 of 22,945
What a steal! I paid 600 for a used pair and they’re amazing. 10x better than the 535s IMO. I put the 535s on my TW2s for running, +5 db eq for bass and highs makes them better, but can’t lift the heavy veil that blights them; the 846s are everything I hoped the 535s would be and more. The bass is delicious!

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #22,407 of 22,945
THought I'd drop by this thread as BH Photo has the SE846 on for $499 for 10 more hours at the time of this writing. It was the SE535 that sent me down this audio rabbit hole years ago when I discovered the knowles filters here on Head-Fi while "googling" how to get more bass out of the 535s. I came close to buying the 846 many times but then discovered or rather began to understand driver tech. Well, if you read my signature everything there and in the spoiler (and so much more) sprang out of the 535s and Head-fi. Today when I got notice in my inbox about the BH deal, I thought maybe I'll pick them up. They are the best isolating IEM i've ever had including my CIEMs.
So here's the question, are SE846s still relevant today after all these years and when I just took delivery of the Xelento 2 and have 2 new IMR units on the way?

I have audited quite some IEM lately also way more expensive one’s. I was just curious after buying se846 gen2 (I love the new red filters). In the past I had the se535, but was never fully happy with them.

And yes they are still relevant, just because you have 7 drivers or more is not a garantue they are better. The se846 with four drivers in my opinion are really good balanced drivers, but you do need a good silent and powerfull source. I use them with the ifi xdsd gryphon and I love them.

I would not exchange then for u64 or kineera baldr2, iem9 sennheiser and they are way more expensive

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #22,408 of 22,945
What a steal! I paid 600 for a used pair and they’re amazing. 10x better than the 535s IMO. I put the 535s on my TW2s for running, +5 db eq for bass and highs makes them better, but can’t lift the heavy veil that blights them; the 846s are everything I hoped the 535s would be and more. The bass is delicious!
That was my opinion after listening to the se846, it almost look like a different brand how much better they are than the se535.

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #22,409 of 22,945
Well, I certainly don't need them, I've got the Xelento 2s in now and they're pretty incredible but your collective comments have convinced me. They're coming in to the collection. Thanks!

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #22,410 of 22,945

That is a great find! For a minute I was actually tempted even though I just picked up a SE846 Gen 2 a few weeks ago and I still have my older Gen 1 on the Shure TW2 adapters. I have 2 pairs so clearly still relevant for me. If you are interested in Bluetooth connectivity, I have been very happy with the TW2 (many on the true wireless thread would probably tell you the same). They work great with the SE846 but can work with other MMCX IEMs as well (or others with a 2 pin adapter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back