Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #22,276 of 22,945
While we do thank you, Mr Oracle, for being so kind as to share your universal truths with us, we are under no illusions. Most of us actively seek out sound signatures that aren't the most "accurate" as we prefer a little verve to our sound. Your information sharing quest is now coming across as an annoying, preachy arrogance that your tastes are somehow superior to the rest of us. I, for one, find you a mere nuisance now.
I guess I just have to accept that you found much clearer words than I did :wink:

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #22,277 of 22,945
Don't feed the trolls.

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #22,278 of 22,945
So, just read up a bit on the Gen2 and two take aways:

1. If you have SE846 Gen 1 and still working/looking fine, then nothing here to see other than curiosity to try red filters.
2. If you're in market for some SE846's then get the Gen 2 unless the Gen 1 is few hundred cheaper or just have to have 'latest' thing or love jade green.

Not an upgrade or really a gen 2, just other colour choice & an additional filter. Saying that, little wrong with Gen 1 anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #22,280 of 22,945
I am a prisoner of my illusions, let me state here guys.
And by the way: Nothing-Is-Real-And-This-Is-A-Simution (NIRATIAS)
https://tidal.com/album/174966107
Great album for those who have tastes like me especially if you want to test how your IEMs manage sibilance.
The link isn’t working, just directs to Tidal homepage. What’s the artist and album?

EDIT: ignore me, found it!! 👍🏻

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #22,281 of 22,945
So, just read up a bit on the Gen2 and two take aways:

1. If you have SE846 Gen 1 and still working/looking fine, then nothing here to see other than curiosity to try red filters.
2. If you're in market for some SE846's then get the Gen 2 unless the Gen 1 is few hundred cheaper or just have to have 'latest' thing or love jade green.

Not an upgrade or really a gen 2, just other colour choice & an additional filter. Saying that, little wrong with Gen 1 anyway.
Exactly, I bought new so bought gen2 jade, but definately nothing wrong with gen1!

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #22,282 of 22,945
Got a source for that claim?
Just Japanese forums, they tend to talk about details on drivers ,etc that usually I don't pay attention because they are out my league. But they even made reference on factories ,etc . Once I get my hand on a old G1 again , maybe it could be an interesting thing to look at. On Ebay some people are selling some old ones as parts only. Again just reading info from others and not my direct experience

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #22,283 of 22,945
The design of the red filter and the nozzle are the same. Drivers are Chinese like 10 years ago. If they wanted to update something, they would have updated these drivers in these 10 years:L3000:

If you didn’t buy everything that is advertised with closed your eyes (G2) Then perhaps Shure would understand that people are do not behave like zombies and not victims of advertising:) That people use analytical thinking and these people deserve that after 10 years, Shure would make new IEMs for them at a good price.
But that won't happen. Amen!
Just in case , no affiliation with Shure and took opportunity to buy these as I had the Shure 425 and 846 long time ago. Read a few things on Japanese blogs which to really do deep dives on details. They made reference to changes including that certain manufacturers had changed or not exist. When I tested filters like the "black" I recognized some traits on the mid frequencies. The red is interesting and would recommend if someone has the measurement equipment to maybe graph these . In any case size and shape do make a difference for me.
Don't tend to "ban" a vendor unless bad quality

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #22,284 of 22,945
I purchased the red filters when Shure released them couple of weeks ago (for my 2020 gen1s) and have switched back and forth blue to red couple of times. I was already happy with the blues but after trying the reds I can see why people might prefer the brighter profile. There’s no sibilance or harshness causing fatigue like the white filters. Also for TW2 users: that extra release of volume helps to make them loud enough!

I haven’t noticed any extra detail or difference to the soundstage like Shure claims but they sound just as good and I’ve kept them in for now. I’m using the Apple dongle and Apple Music lossless, both blue and red filters sound terrific, full of life and energy and it’s hard to stop listening to them.

BTW, For those who enjoy modding their filters - I read that the location of the filter in the tube is as important as the type of Knowles filter they use. The red’s filter is all the way at the open end by the tips, looks like the blue is inserted about half way on mine.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #22,285 of 22,945
People who want to order the red filters, now you can.

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/shure-replacement-se846-filters-blue-black-white-red.html

And the one’s complaining about shure gen2 this and that… please stop, nobody is forced to buy them and nobody can force Shure what to do either.

the new colour scheme is not just plastic, they are milled aluminium casted and hard anodized, is that worth the extra money, you can deside yourself, without beeing judgmental to somebody who thinks it does. I like them and look real good, I had the clear one’s, now I have the jade one’s.

The clear one’s with the bluetooth tw2 looked kind of like hearing aids in your ear which I disliked (nomather how cool they actually look having them in your hands, but that’s personal taste ofcourse :wink: )

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #22,286 of 22,945

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/shure-replacement-se846-filters-blue-black-white-red.html

And the one’s complaining about shure gen2 this and that… please stop, nobody is forced to buy them and nobody can force Shure what to do either.

the new colour scheme is not just plastic, they are milled aluminium casted and hard anodized, is that worth the extra money, you can deside yourself, without beeing judgmental to somebody who thinks it does. I like them and look real good, I had the clear one’s, now I have the jade one’s.

The clear one’s especially with the bluetooth tw2 looked kind of like hearing aids in your ear which I disliked (nomather how cool they actually look having them in your hands, but that’s personal taste ofcourse :wink: )
That´s wonderful news! I will have to order a set to try with my gen 1´s :relaxed:

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #22,287 of 22,945

The clear one’s with the bluetooth tw2 looked kind of like hearing aids in your ear which I disliked (nomather how cool they actually look having them in your hands, but that’s personal taste ofcourse :wink: )
Awesome! Ill try to order one!

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #22,288 of 22,945
£25,93 GBP :) Plastic has become the price of gold. Shure probably uses secret nano-technologies :)
I also ordered one set, to be like everyone else! In our time, when society is intensively degrading, it is necessary to quickly adapt and not differ from others :)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #22,289 of 22,945
£25,93 GBP :) Plastic has become the price of gold. Shure probably uses secret nano-technologies :)
I also ordered one set, to be like everyone else! In our time, when society is intensively degrading, it is necessary to quickly adapt and not differ from others :)
you do understand people have to work? and people that handle stuff cost money? I mean I hope you understand people have to earn something to make a living, seeing that in perspective it is not that much.

Oct 17, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #22,290 of 22,945
you do understand people have to work? and people that handle stuff cost money? I mean I hope you understand people have to earn something to make a living, seeing that in perspective it is not that much.
Yes, I understand perfectly, and for all this that you wrote, it would be enough to put a price £10!!!
And this is already a lot for a small stamped piece of plastic :)!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back