Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #21,751 of 22,945
Sorry but the se215 do NOT sound identical to se846.
They surely don't sound identical.
However I would say that the General tuning is similar and the Se846 is a real upgrade to the 215 while the 3xx 4xx and 5xx all sound different (more neutral and less bassy)

So if you like the 215 you most likely will love the 846 while you might not like the rest of the lineup

Feb 5, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #21,752 of 22,945
The tuning and sound signature are similar, but you can clearly hear the differences in the bass quantity, impact, and speed. Even more-so in the mid details. Listen to a vocal heavy, mid forward track and a/b test. It's clear why Shure marketed the SE846 for stage monitoring.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #21,754 of 22,945
That's what I thought until I compared them side by side
It is true as regards frequency response graph the SE846 are closer to SE215 than the rest of the old SE line. (Not the Aonic 4 eg).
So I understand that they might sound similar to you.
But plug them to the same source, the difference in clarity with the 846s is astonishing. But the source is important. You might not notice this as much if you don't use a DAC.
I had the 215 several times in the past and gave them away as presents. They are a lovely set for every day use. But truly having been used to both their sound, there is an abyss in sound quality between the two.
In case you are interested in stuff like detail retreival, quality of mids and bass, imaging etc, otherwise the 215s are a fine set of IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #21,755 of 22,945
It is true as regards frequency response graph the SE846 are closer to SE215 than the rest of the old SE line. (Not the Aonic 4 eg).
So I understand that they might sound similar to you.
But plug them to the same source, the difference in clarity with the 846s is astonishing. But the source is important. You might not notice this as much if you don't use a DAC.
I had the 215 several times in the past and gave them away as presents. They are a lovely set for every day use. But truly having been used to both their sound, there is an abyss in sound quality between the two.
In case you are interested in stuff like detail retreival, quality of mids and bass, imaging etc, otherwise the 215s are a fine set of IEMs.
A DAC of an iPhone-dongle e.g. is more than adequate to experience the differences.

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #21,759 of 22,945
You do have a point. If I'm not mistaken, I believe most music producers use them as the DACs in their studios.

:smirk: This guy. Brutal. :laughing:

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #21,760 of 22,945
Is this still a good idea in 2022?

I'm not an audiophile, but just a guy who appreciates good sound. Had a few $300 pair headphones over the past 10 years. More recently, I got the SE-215s. Had those for about 4 years and was pretty rough with them and all I managed to do was damage the cable. They still work great.

Did some research over the past few weeks. The biggest complaint about these is they're 8 years old and that now there's stuff out there that sounds as good or better for a fraction of the price. I don't know about anybody else, but buying something that has to take a month to come from China (to the US) and then trying to talk with the company when it comes to support sounds like a migraine. Also, what about build quality and comfort? What good is the sound if they are uncomfortable? What good is the sound at a fraction of the price if they break in under 2 years?

Price is still kind of high, but I assume that's because they're still selling.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #21,761 of 22,945

I'm not an audiophile, but just a guy who appreciates good sound. Had a few $300 pair headphones over the past 10 years. More recently, I got the SE-215s. Had those for about 4 years and was pretty rough with them and all I managed to do was damage the cable. They still work great.

Did some research over the past few weeks. The biggest complaint about these is they're 8 years old and that now there's stuff out there that sounds as good or better for a fraction of the price. I don't know about anybody else, but buying something that has to take a month to come from China (to the US) and then trying to talk with the company when it comes to support sounds like a migraine. Also, what about build quality and comfort? What good is the sound if they are uncomfortable? What good is the sound at a fraction of the price if they break in under 2 years?

I am not a 'dinosaur' of this forum but I have been seeing this question returning time and again about the relevance of SE846 today and their asking price.
My short answer is: yes they are definitely relevant but considering the competition also yes they are overpriced.
If you enjoy their tuning and you can find a pair for around 300-400 I say go for it, they sound amazing, they are extremely comfortable, durable, and great looking.
But as much as I personally value them, I wouldn't pay 700-800 for them in 2022.

Feb 7, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #21,762 of 22,945

To me the SE846 is still one of the best in-ears I know, i still like mine very much and they regained a new life with the TW1 and now the TW2 adapters.
Would I pay MSRP now? That's harder to answer... maybe not. But not because these are not worth it (I think they still hold up well compared to new models), but I've cut my spending on headphones overall and don't go for flagship models anymore: that segment got so overrun with ever new models and price increases that simply don't tie to reality anymore that I chose to more or less ignore it.

On the other hand my pair of SE846 is now 6-7 years old -- that makes them a tremendous value even at full MSRP: having a 400,- unit break after 2 years makes the total cost of ownership much higher. And no, they do not sound any less good the day a potential successor is announced. Which obviously will happen at a point in time.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #21,763 of 22,945
I would posit also that as professional audio equipment, they're built to a durability and robustness that you might not find elsewhere for the price. You're paying for that quality. Whereas with something like the Timeless 7hz, you're paying for the components and the robustness is second fiddle. I've had my SE846 for over four years and use them almost daily for running outdoors, the gym, work, etc. and they've held up better than any other IEM I've ever owned.

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #21,764 of 22,945
I would posit also that as professional audio equipment, they're built to a durability and robustness that you might not find elsewhere for the price. You're paying for that quality. Whereas with something like the Timeless 7hz, you're paying for the components and the robustness is second fiddle. I've had my SE846 for over four years and use them almost daily for running outdoors, the gym, work, etc. and they've held up better than any other IEM I've ever owned.
I bought mine in 2015 and they are still as good as new.
Durability and build quality is excellent.

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #21,765 of 22,945
I am not a 'dinosaur' of this forum but I have been seeing this question returning time and again about the relevance of SE846 today and their asking price.
In my opinion, the fact that this question keeps coming up should tell you it is still relevant. Whether it is overpriced can only be really answered by the ultimate purchaser. Also, they can be purchased for less than MSRP (I got mine on sale for < $700 on Amazon a few years ago and they were worth every penny to me). I have seen some dealers offer discounts in the US. As has been said by many others, Shure does not try to roll out a new model every two years and, as much as I would love a new pair of (currently nonexistent) Aonic 8s, I am glad they do not. While they may not be for everyone, I think they are perfect for my tastes and still enjoy them every day (I am very sensitive to treble). They are also super comfortable to me and fit my ears really well.

I also have a pair of SE535s that lasted approx. 8 years before I needed to get them repaired/replaced (new set now on a TW2 adapter at the office) and a set of SE425s that are 8 years old next month (still use as monitors for my Zoom calls every day). Shure definitely makes a durable and quality product and the SE846 are no different. My SE846, and before that the SE535, were my daily drivers for commuting (pre-COVID) and the gym and have survived many snags on the train and subways in NYC and on the treadmill. I also use them to sleep so they have been rolled on and dropped on the hardwood floors many times as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back