Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #21,709 of 22,954
Below are measurements for some of the mods suggested by @unispeed. I can't keep pace with the rate @unispeed is suggesting these mods :wink: But I found the time to take a look at the following:

1) Trishd mod on the white filter (using blue filter foams)
2) Trishd mod on the black filter (using black filter foams)
3) HH mod on the white filter (using blue filter foams)
4) HH mod on the blue filter (using blue filter foams)
5) HH mod on the black filter (using black filter foams)
6) Half-way mod on the black filter (using black filter foams)
7) Stock white, blue & black (just for comparison)

To clarify what all this means...

Stock filters:
White with no foam
Blue with blue filter foam at open end of filter tube
Black with black filter foam at open end of filter tube

Trishd mod:
White - all blue filter foam pushed down to the damper end of the filter tube
Blue - all blue filter foam pushed down to the damper end of the filter tube
Black - all black filter foam pushed down to the damper end of the filter tube

HH (half & half) mod inspired by @unispeed:
White - half the blue filter foam at the open end of the filter tube; the other half pushed all the way down to the damper end
Blue - half the blue filter foam at the open end of the filter tube; the other half pushed all the way down to the damper end
Black - half the black filter foam at the open end of the filter tube; the other half pushed all the way down to the damper end

Black Half-Way mod suggested by @unispeed:
All foam in the black filter pushed approximately half-way down the black filter tube.

Black No Foam Mod
Hopefully this one's obvious?

The first point of reference is my current configuration of blue/trishd mod + SpinFit Cp800 eartips. I've made most of my previous measurements with SpinFit tips, but all subsequent measurements here were made with Comply Comfort foam tips, since that's what @unispeed has been using. Some important points first. Foam vs silicone makes a difference:

Cp800_vs_CCFoam.png

Also, foam tips make a difference depending on whether you properly prepare them or not. "Preparing" a foam eartip involves squashing down the end before rolling the tip. This shortens the length of foam tube the sound waves have to travel through and limits the high-frequency roll-off. Tip on the left is un-prep'd; tip on the right is prep'd:

20190514_095307~2.jpg

Here's the effect of tip prep using the blue-filter Trishd mod:

effect_of_tip_prep.png

It's a significant effect. N.B. All subsequent measurements are using prep'd Comply Comfort foam tips.

Effects of mods to the white filter tube:
white_filter_mods.png

Effects of mods to the blue filter tube:
blue_filter_mods.png

Effects of mods to the black filter tube:
black_filter_mods.png

Some points/thoughts/observations:

1) The dampers aren't the same at the bottom of each of the stock filter tubes!
2) I used the foam in the blue filters to mod the white filter, because (obviously) the white filters don't come with any foam - they only have the damper at the bottom.
3) The foam in the black filter appears to be denser than that in the blue filter and so the Trishd mod with that foam seems to have a slightly stronger effect.
4) The Trishd mod magically squeezes energy out of the mid-range and into the treble. It actually gives more treble than if the same filter tube were used without any foam at all.
5) The HH white filter mod and half-way black filter mod give a surprisingly similar effect. They both give an FR that's relatively flat.
6) @unispeed obviously has good ears - he's right that the black filter give more treble as you push the foam towards the damper/attenuator.

I continue to be impressed with what a versatile little headphone the SE846 is. Endless hours of EQing fun await you, if you're so inclined :)

P.S. All measurements here are raw/uncompensated using a 711-compliant coupler fed by a 0.025 Ohm output-impedance source (Chord Hugo 2).
But that conflicts with this post saying that the blue filter foam is at the open end of the filter tube. 🤔

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #21,711 of 22,954
Curiosity got the best of me and I tested both variations of the blue filter foam, back-to-back: all at the FE and all at the NE. TrishD/FE is 100% not my sound signature; mids take a backseat for a boost in treble and the sound signature is more v-shaped. All at the NE is exactly how I remember the SE846: balanced and smooth. To each their own, but I'm happy stock!

Dec 20, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #21,712 of 22,954
Interesting. Looking at the photos in this review, it appears the foam on the blue filter is pushed all the way down to the filter end (vs. the nozzle end). Is that what you see in your set, @fablestruck ?
For some reason, I cannot find my new set of blue filters so I cannot confirm with direct observation.
But from memory, the foam pieces looked something like this photo of my original set of black filters (see pic).
Maybe they were a little bit toward the center of the filter than on the edge, can't be sure.
In the photo from the review that you mention, I can see one foam piece pushed proximally (filter end) and this is not what I recall at all.
black filter.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #21,714 of 22,954
Where can you buy new replacement filters in the US?

Call Shure and order part no. RPE846NZLNSRT-BAL (the blue balanced filter). About $27 with shipping (expensive, I know).

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #21,717 of 22,954
Fun. I know the SE846 are the GOAT in terms of fit, but interested in your SQ impressions.
The SE846 surely hold their ground. Different in that they have more engaging mids especially upper mids which are more forward than the Timeless.
They also have more accurate imaging if somebody really notices but the Timeless does present a bit better soundstage with better separation in multilayered music parts. The bass is also cleaner with the Timeless and I would say the same in amount. Also, there is a feeling of better upper high-range extension. The high-range is very controlled. The presentation is very natural, Harmann-based but with articulate and quite present mid-range.
It is actually an excellent performer for 200 euro to say the least.
I really do enjoy them and highly recommend them even though the Mojo/SE846 combi is still addictive and special to me.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #21,718 of 22,954
I bought a relatively cheap pair for $420 AUD. I've always considering all the iem I've tried so far as a side grade to my collection of og triple armature iem, my earsonic sm64, ue fi triple 10 and custom es3x (custom um3x), well until now. The most noticeable night and day difference isn't the bass but the clarity of the vocals which remains thick and full-bodied without any veil or sibilant. Everything in general just has more body compared my other iem in my current collection. With blue filters, the bass quantity isn't much more than say my iem but it hits a lot lower with better separation. Soundstage isn't as in your head as other old triple driver iem but at the same time is nowhere comparable to true open-back headphones. Detail retrieve is better but not leagues better, really what one would expect from iem costing this much. I compared them with a demo universal fit jh16 in store and they where very similar except the se846 exhibited no sibilant whatsoever. Both have the same familiar full-body sound which seems to only be found in iem I've tested over the 1k mark.

What I want to know is how the mids of the 846 compared to the 535? Are they not as mid centric and pushed back a little? From memory the se535 had mids that where even more forwards than the um3x. I always prefer a sound signature with very forwards mids hence why I'm still on the hunt for a pair of old earsonic sm3s

P.S It might be just mine but when i remove the thread collar, the right side of the nozzle with nozzle insert still inside sits firmly in place whereas the left side without the thread locker, it doesn’t sits as firmly in place as the right side and because of this I need multiple tries to get the thread collar to fit flush with the body when tightening it back up. Does anyone have this problem?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #21,719 of 22,954
Can anyone comment on how these compare to Grado GR10e's?

I've had these for a while with little reason to upgrade... except for when I have to stop listening through a pair of Harbeth M30.1 loudspeakers late at night and switch to the Grado's. The voices, instrument separation and clarity and dynamics on the Harbeths are just SO real that it just feels like you are there, especially listening to well recorded livesets. Can this be replicated on IEM's even better than the GR10e?

It's hard to describe what the Grado's are lacking exactly, sometimes I think it is in the low-end but it's definitely not just a matter of more bass.

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #21,720 of 22,954
Can anyone comment on how these compare to Grado GR10e's?

I've had these for a while with little reason to upgrade... except for when I have to stop listening through a pair of Harbeth M30.1 loudspeakers late at night and switch to the Grado's. The voices, instrument separation and clarity and dynamics on the Harbeths are just SO real that it just feels like you are there, especially listening to well recorded livesets. Can this be replicated on IEM's even better than the GR10e?

It's hard to describe what the Grado's are lacking exactly, sometimes I think it is in the low-end but it's definitely not just a matter of more bass.
I think the transparency and clarity of vocals without a hint of sibilant is what shines through on the se846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back