Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #21,691 of 22,945
Have the same issue with the fit on the TW2. My Final Type E tips came with adapters, which I have used on my SE846. Currently using the Westone STAR black tips on them (wired). For use with the TW2, I use Spinfits CP800s (sized up to L from M), which aren't perfect, but worked ok for
It's nice to see this thread wake up from time to time... I'm also still enjoying my SE846, nowadays with the TW2. Those I had originally configured for the SE846, which made them sound rather bland and lifeless... switched back to the SE215 profile (and reduced volume of course), somehow that makes them sounds much better to me. I don't think Shure applies EQ by model, it must be just the volume level. I did not notice that averse effect with the TW1: those I had set to SE846 as well and I don't remember any problems.
Do you think the sound signature Is the same? I did try the se215 profile with the TW1 but thought I lost a little of the detail from some of the music I listened to. Maybe it was just me, and I’m by no means an audiophile but just curious. Maybe I’ll try the TW2 with the se215 profile again to see how my SE846 sound.

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #21,692 of 22,945
I'm not an eq kinda guy, but I have been trying out Wavelet (android) recently and their eq for the 846 turns it into something quite a bit more of a detail oriented iem. I don't use it too often though, as the the stock sound of these is more to my own tastes, but it's an interesting option for those who want to experiment with minimal fussing. It's actually made me appreciate the usual sound more, guess I'm just not one for the boosted upper mid/treble sound. I've never had any fatigue with the 846 but with the wavelet eq enabled find myself searching for the app to turn it off after a while.

Nov 30, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #21,693 of 22,945
Been using SE846 since 2014 on and off. It's my favorite sound signature of all time.

Does anyone know of any proper nozzle adapters for Shure to T400/T500 size tips? I just picked up the Shure TW2 adapter and it's surprisingly good for on-the-go listening. Sony WF-1000XM4s and Airpods Pro can't hold a candle to this setup SQ wise. With that said, I'm having some fit issues so I'd like to explore the other 2/3 of my tip collection which doesn't natively fit on Shure nozzle size
If you prefer foam eartips, check our Symbio F with Wa adapters, these will fit nozzles of SE846, too. Same adapter as in the photo of Symbio Wa UM Pro series nozzle similar to Shure SE... (Photo courtesy of twister6.com)
westone_eartips-04.jpg

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #21,694 of 22,945
Alas, my SE846's have finally met their final days, with one shell having split apart entirely and the other on the way. The nozzels are barely holding on (I've wrapped them in tape! Very sad I am.)
I know somewhere in this huge thread there are direct instructions on getting the shells replaced by Shure. I know it wasn't free, but I am up for it. These are my favorite headphones, and I have a few nice ones around. These need to be fixed! :xf_cool:

Any info or reports of success with Shure on this matter?

Terry

Update: I found this post and went to Shure to fill out their form. Thankfully, Sweetwater Sound still had my invoice and serial that I could send to Shure.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1431#post-16236156

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #21,695 of 22,945
Anyone have experience with the TW1 vs the TW2 with the 846? I didn't fancy the sound quality with the TW1 and returned them. Does the TW2 have any sound improvements?

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #21,697 of 22,945
Anyone know if there working on a SE846 replacement it has been a while now?

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #21,698 of 22,945
I've been wondering about this too. Even from the KSE's perspective, Shure has been real quiet on top-end earphones lately, only focusing on wireless offerings.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #21,699 of 22,945
it would be foolish in my opinion. 846 is regarded as one of the very best and loved by many. No need to jinx that. In the end there is only so much you can do with different drivers, different tunings etc. Technology hasn’t changed either. I think shure has it down. I’d rather see them use the aonic line-up as a place to experiment. What might be a nice addition to the SE line-up is a hybrid like the aonic 4, the aonic 4 which is really nice i might add.

Dec 16, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #21,700 of 22,945
Are all official Shure cables now nickel plated MMCX? I remember my pair originally came with a gold plated connectors.

Also are there any sonic differences between the clear and black cable - EAC46CLS and EAC64BKS?

Many thanks!

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #21,701 of 22,945
cry
Are all official Shure cables now nickel plated MMCX? I remember my pair originally came with a gold plated connectors.

Also are there any sonic differences between the clear and black cable - EAC46CLS and EAC64BKS?

Many thanks!
They have different part numbers for each:
EAC64BK - black, gold mmcx connectors
EAC64BKS - black, nickel plated mmcx
EAC64CL - clear, gold mmcx
EAC64CLS - clear, nickel mmcx

It seems like EAC46 only comes with nickel plated MMCX. They don't seem to mention nickel plating on the product page. Unless anyone here knows, you might want to email Shure and ask.

Shure has an official article indicating there's no audible difference between nickel and gold connectors. It was just done for increased durability etc:

https://service.shure.com/s/article/se-earphones-nickel-plated-mmcx-connectors?language=en_US

[edit] thanks everyone for the tip suggestions. I tried larger bore tips with the Final Audio adapters including some Symbios I had lying around. I ended up landing on the Spinfit CP800 in large. Strangely enough CP800 mediums fit fine 5 years ago. Need to start doing ear kegels bois 🤣 [/edit]

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #21,702 of 22,945
Maybe not, I tried to get the receipt from the second-hand seller and they told me it was a trade-in so that wouldn't be possible. It was someplace called "Hanson AV" and I guess they have multiple stores in the US. As I was reading that I'm pretty sure one of the drivers in the opened bud went out cause I lost 20% of the sound in the right channel and part of the soundstage just went *poof*. I'll probably decide to send them in or not in the next couple of weeks. Thanks to everyone who helped me anyway, your input is much appreciated!

Did you end up getting them repaired? What was your experience like? I also bought my SE846s second hand and am curious about this.

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #21,703 of 22,945
X-posting from filters thread:
Eons ago I removed the foam from my blue filter. I'd like to put my blue filter back to stock. Does anyone happen to know what the stock foam configuration is (e.g., both foams stacked at end facing ear canal, denser foam closest to ear canal, etc.)? If possible, a picture would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back