Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #21,676 of 22,945
Let me start with some preliminary remarks.

I am a se846 user for more than 2,5 years and after having tried different portable source pairings (e.g. LG V30, Fiio M11, Nextdrive Spectra) I ended up having them on a Shure BT2 adapter. The performance was very good but not what I expected from 800 euro IEM. I recently put them on sale with the thought of trying an CA Andromeda or a Solaris instead.
Two months ago I bought a Chord Mojo and plugged them in after I've made the blue filter mod. That completely changed my opinion about them, even though the high treble roll-off was still a minor issue, the resolution and musicality of the rest of the range just blew me away. This combination gave that 15% boost in performance that makes these babies truly shine. I should've known better.

So it is upon this critical background that I came to be listening to the Aonic 4 these last few days and it is understandably an unfair comparison.

Starting from an interchanging A/B session using the twin outputs of the Mojo (see picture- plugged to a laptop with Audirvana studio) one is stricken from a notable difference in clarity of the midrange and high frequencies. Compared to the sheer presence of the different acoustic items in the headspace in the case of the se846s, the Aonic 4s have a veiled, lay-back presentation.

Regardless of the frequency graphs which represent similar sub-bass amount for the two (well the se846 are represented to have a bit steeper ascent in that area -https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/shure-aonic-4/ , https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/shure-se846/) and a 1-2db boost in the high-treble, the Aonic 4s have a mid-bass expression and the highs sound over all distant and quite muffled in comparison. That is something that I actually did not expect especially for the highs. It would seem to someone that the mids would be recessed due to the difference in technicalities but at least the treble would be clear enough with at least some amount of shimmer.

But this is not the case. For example, Baby Interface from the album Microgravity by Biosphere (https://tidal.com/browse/track/4167371) is an electronica track that covers in a distinct fashion all the FR and which I often use for testing headphones. With the se846, the bass is clear and sturdy, the midrange items clean and attacking holographically around your headspace. The treble is pristine and unfatiguing (while my Sennheisers Ie400pro have even richer highs but while quite controlled they sometimes do get tiring).

Changing now to the Aonic 4s, the bass is good but midbass-centered and less in amount, the sub-bass is effectively produced when present in the production (listen to the subtle change towards the sub-region at 1:51 of the track mentioned above). The mids sound as if coming from some distance, and the highs veiled and discernibly less in resolution. This is the case with other genres I tested them with. Even though the have 7ohm impedance the se846 are less louder and turning the loudness dial up does not bring those midrange elements in the fore but an annoying midbass peak instead.

I have to disagree with Garreth83 about the aggressiveness of Aonic 4s. They actually sound quite laid-back to me, at least comparing to the se846s. They have an even presentation and they don't attempt to impress with any frequency region. The soundstage is not more extended than se846 and certainly not an expansive one as others have claimed. They offer a decent rendering of different genres, they are unfatiguing if not a bit dull.

As I mentioned above it is unfair to compare them to the top dog of the SE line. The se846 beat them in almost every respect. But I have to give them the credit for not allowing them much burn-in (either objective or brain-wise) that is why I now have them plugged on the Shure BT2 adapter for some more long-term casual listen. They actually are not a bad IEM. They are good sounding, great looking and ultra-comfortable. But in the end of the day I am considering returning them to amazon if a few days' listen does not change my mind.

interesting, I find the aonic 4 to feel more wide in its soundstage. The 846 feels like the soundstage is round and more 3D.

I’ve tried two different makes of the aonic 4, one sounded more laid back, the other more aggressive. Our differences in opinion might stem from production differences.

min interesting in doing the blue filter mod once I obtain some spare blue filters. What does one do to mod them?
I find the whites too bright in the high mids, and the blues too dark in the treble.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #21,677 of 22,945
interesting, I find the aonic 4 to feel more wide in its soundstage. The 846 feels like the soundstage is round and more 3D.

I’ve tried two different makes of the aonic 4, one sounded more laid back, the other more aggressive. Our differences in opinion might stem from production differences.

min interesting in doing the blue filter mod once I obtain some spare blue filters. What does one do to mod them?
I find the whites too bright in the high mids, and the blues too dark in the treble.
There are 2 little foam pieces in serial arrangement inside each filter. I removed the distal one (the one facing the ear when placed in listening) and pushed a little bit inside the proximal one left.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #21,678 of 22,945
Has anyone been able to test Aonic 5 vs 4? I think 846 is way too much for me. Shure is essentially the only IEM I am willing to try because of their isolation. I think it's absolutely necessary for an IEM to make you feel isolated.. and I know about Comply foam tips which work for all earbuds but you know, if they aren't tuned to be used with Comply, there's probably no reason in getting one at all.

I'm really loving Aonic 4 compared to any other headphones I tried. Reviews say 5 is more "analytical"? How are the peaks on it? Do they sound piercing? This is also what I like a lot about 4 - I can listen to it on any volume and my ears don't hurt like with other headphones, no ringing ears and anything like that.

Also if it matters, I like the yellow foam tips the most. They have a good balance between isolation and bringing the sound forward, while the stock black foam just sounded too hidden to me. I went ahead and got myself 20+ of these yellow tips in case if Shure ever stops making them, so good!

And 2nd question: is there any USB cable you'd recommend to use with Fiio K5 Pro and Aonic 4 or other Shure IEM? I'm getting the sound through USB on PC.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #21,679 of 22,945
And 2nd question: is there any USB cable you'd recommend to use with Fiio K5 Pro and Aonic 4 or other Shure IEM? I'm getting the sound through USB on PC.
It looks like your K5 Pro should have come with a USB A to B cable. If you need a replacement then any USB A to B cable should be fine. I usually just try to keep as short as possible for my needs.

If you are asking if you can improve the SQ by upgrading your USB cable to your DAC/amp then the answer is probably not unless there is something wrong with the cable you currently have.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #21,680 of 22,945
Has anyone been able to test Aonic 5 vs 4? I think 846 is way too much for me. Shure is essentially the only IEM I am willing to try because of their isolation. I think it's absolutely necessary for an IEM to make you feel isolated.. and I know about Comply foam tips which work for all earbuds but you know, if they aren't tuned to be used with Comply, there's probably no reason in getting one at all.

I'm really loving Aonic 4 compared to any other headphones I tried. Reviews say 5 is more "analytical"? How are the peaks on it? Do they sound piercing? This is also what I like a lot about 4 - I can listen to it on any volume and my ears don't hurt like with other headphones, no ringing ears and anything like that.

Also if it matters, I like the yellow foam tips the most. They have a good balance between isolation and bringing the sound forward, while the stock black foam just sounded too hidden to me. I went ahead and got myself 20+ of these yellow tips in case if Shure ever stops making them, so good!

I use comply on everything. But after what you said I might give the yellows a try. Are they more trebly than the foams? The large shure foams are too large for me. Comply fits great, I use large on the left and medium on the right.

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #21,681 of 22,945
I use comply on everything. But after what you said I might give the yellows a try. Are they more trebly than the foams? The large shure foams are too large for me. Comply fits great, I use large on the left and medium on the right.
I find foam tips adding to the treble roll-off of the whole shure line, though the isolation is indeed best.
For me the spinfit cp-800 do the trick soundwise

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #21,682 of 22,945
I'm not exactly sure but to me it sounded like the most balanced option, both in terms of sound and isolation. Black foam sounded a bit muffled to me and I was actually rather disappointed with Aonic 4 until I tried the yellow foam.

Oct 23, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #21,683 of 22,945
20211023_140929-02.jpeg

WM1A hooked up to an old amplifier, listening via the Sony Z7M2 - Electromures Delia AWS-303 (1989). Awesome experience!

The WM1A has the WM1Z sound signature, with the Plus v2 mode.

I also tried the Shure SE846, and they have a lot better bass impact. It almost sounds like a dynamic driver.

On the song "A2" by Darkside the bass is almost liquid-like.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #21,684 of 22,945
Been using SE846 since 2014 on and off. It's my favorite sound signature of all time.

Does anyone know of any proper nozzle adapters for Shure to T400/T500 size tips? I just picked up the Shure TW2 adapter and it's surprisingly good for on-the-go listening. Sony WF-1000XM4s and Airpods Pro can't hold a candle to this setup SQ wise. With that said, I'm having some fit issues so I'd like to explore the other 2/3 of my tip collection which doesn't natively fit on Shure nozzle size

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #21,685 of 22,945
20211023_140929-02.jpeg

WM1A hooked up to an old amplifier, listening via the Sony Z7M2 - Electromures Delia AWS-303 (1989). Awesome experience!

The WM1A has the WM1Z sound signature, with the Plus v2 mode.

I also tried the Shure SE846, and they have a lot better bass impact. It almost sounds like a dynamic driver.

On the song "A2" by Darkside the bass is almost liquid-like.
That's an amplifier made in Romania? Great.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #21,687 of 22,945
Been using SE846 since 2014 on and off. It's my favorite sound signature of all time.

Does anyone know of any proper nozzle adapters for Shure to T400/T500 size tips? I just picked up the Shure TW2 adapter and it's surprisingly good for on-the-go listening. Sony WF-1000XM4s and Airpods Pro can't hold a candle to this setup SQ wise. With that said, I'm having some fit issues so I'd like to explore the other 2/3 of my tip collection which doesn't natively fit on Shure nozzle size

The spinfit adapters work well, although I'm currently using the bores of the Shure foams that I cut out with an xacto knife and some Sony silicon tips. Much better fit plus these hacked adapters have the benefit over the actual adapters of being of a stiffer and tighter fit around the nozzles so you can play with the depth of them if you prefer a deeper or shallower fit. Can't really be done with the spinfit adapters. They're a much softer material and sort of squidge down as you press tips on.

Nov 30, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #21,688 of 22,945
That's an amplifier made in Romania? Great.

It's of Polish origins, but it was built in Romania. For the Polish market it was sold as Unitra (exported from Romania), while for the Romanian market it was sold as Delia.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #21,689 of 22,945

Have the same issue with the fit on the TW2. My Final Type E tips came with adapters, which I have used on my SE846. Currently using the Westone STAR black tips on them (wired). For use with the TW2, I use Spinfits CP800s (sized up to L from M), which aren't perfect, but worked ok for me.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #21,690 of 22,945
It's nice to see this thread wake up from time to time... I'm also still enjoying my SE846, nowadays with the TW2. Those I had originally configured for the SE846, which made them sound rather bland and lifeless... switched back to the SE215 profile (and reduced volume of course), somehow that makes them sounds much better to me. I don't think Shure applies EQ by model, it must be just the volume level. I did not notice that averse effect with the TW1: those I had set to SE846 as well and I don't remember any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back