Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #21,451 of 22,945
What to say? Either wait until (if) it is replaced and see if you can get a deal from an authorised dealer or check Amazon.

sometimes dealers can give you a discount and you can get a reasonable deal if you pick up the phone and start asking.

There is also a very high chance that what you purchase from Amazon will actually be the real deal and if it isn’t you can always send it back so frankly you are in a good position either way.

If the Amazon or dealer prices are too high maybe someone reputable with a worthwhile trading history on head-fi is selling and you can get a deal?
Yup, happy I found this site for that reason. I’ve been a shure fan for close to 20 years, back to the EC4 days. I’ve bought some used and some new, love them all but I did get taken once on a fake pair.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #21,452 of 22,945
How do these compare to more recent offerings around the £600 to 800 mark?

I owned them a few years ago and always regretted moving them on. Thinking of buying again but a little worried that they might not have fared well with all the new young guns in the scene!
20210308_221720.jpg

They are exceptional with your DX300.Silky smooth,organic and detailed mids,wide soundstage and wonderful treble extension without harshness,i prefer them to Andromeda S with Ibasso.Natural,neutral but musical,this combo is fantastic.If you find them for $700 i wouldn't hesitate.

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #21,453 of 22,945
I'm not sure how many of you have had extensive experience with Shure's warranty repair support but I bought a pair of SE846 on eBay for $512 about a year ago. I got all the accessories with them and everything, but a month or two ago I noticed that the right bud was starting to split apart from the bottom, and debris were beginning to get inside of the shell. I called Shure and they said to send them in, even though they usually only honor the warranty to the original buyer, but "the only way we'll know is if you send them in". I guess my question is would something like this typically be covered under warranty? I would rather have some reassurance instead of risking a shipping problem, or wasting time shipping them just for them to tell me to buy a whole new right bud.

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #21,454 of 22,945
I'm not sure how many of you have had extensive experience with Shure's warranty repair support but I bought a pair of SE846 on eBay for $512 about a year ago. I got all the accessories with them and everything, but a month or two ago I noticed that the right bud was starting to split apart from the bottom, and debris were beginning to get inside of the shell. I called Shure and they said to send them in, even though they usually only honor the warranty to the original buyer, but "the only way we'll know is if you send them in". I guess my question is would something like this typically be covered under warranty? I would rather have some reassurance instead of risking a shipping problem, or wasting time shipping them just for them to tell me to buy a whole new right bud.
From my experience they’re great with warranty. Check how much the repair is. But most likely they’ll charge the replacement cost of one and send you a new one. When I did the return they actually let me upgrade to a new version. I think it was the e3c to the se315 at the time. Currently have the se846 with the tw1 and I think they’re worth it to send and get replaced.

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #21,455 of 22,945
From my experience they’re great with warranty. Check how much the repair is. But most likely they’ll charge the replacement cost of one and send you a new one. When I did the return they actually let me upgrade to a new version. I think it was the e3c to the se315 at the time. Currently have the se846 with the tw1 and I think they’re worth it to send and get replaced.
I'm not quite sure what route I want to go. I found a pair of Campfire Andromeda for $550 a couple of months ago but those have since sold. If they quote me a replacement its probably going to be ~$500 so I was thinking of just buying fiio fh7 or going all the way down to some KZ ZSX for $50-60

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #21,456 of 22,945
I'm not quite sure what route I want to go. I found a pair of Campfire Andromeda for $550 a couple of months ago but those have since sold. If they quote me a replacement its probably going to be ~$500 so I was thinking of just buying fiio fh7 or going all the way down to some KZ ZSX for $50-60
The replacement for each bud is about $300.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #21,458 of 22,945
That seems a little more reasonable. I think I saw a singular one on eBay for about $360 so they seem about the same.
If you are in the US, they publish their flat rate repair costs

https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/service-repair

I have used this twice and they were great. Both times out of warranty and the process was pretty painless. First time they let me upgrade my SE530s to SE535s for the fixed repair cost and the second was last June (during the COVID-19 shutdowns) when the plastic around my MMCX connectors started cracking on those 8 or 9 year old SE535s. Still use those as my sleeping buds (SE846 isn't quite as low profile).

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #21,459 of 22,945
If you are in the US, they publish their flat rate repair costs

https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/service-repair

I have used this twice and they were great. Both times out of warranty and the process was pretty painless. First time they let me upgrade my SE530s to SE535s for the fixed repair cost and the second was last June (during the COVID-19 shutdowns) when the plastic around my MMCX connectors started cracking on those 8 or 9 year old SE535s. Still use those as my sleeping buds (SE846 isn't quite as low profile).
Maybe the move is to wait when the SE846 successors are announced and then send them in for repair. It's been nearly a decade since they were originally released so maybe it's possible. Mine were purchased around October 2019 so it's really odd how the glue just disintegrated in such a short amount of time. They came really dirty and the box was ripped so I suspect they didn't have a very nice life. If I do need to buy a new bud I might be open to trying to clean out and fix them myself but that seems daunting.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #21,460 of 22,945
Maybe the move is to wait when the SE846 successors are announced and then send them in for repair. It's been nearly a decade since they were originally released so maybe it's possible. Mine were purchased around October 2019 so it's really odd how the glue just disintegrated in such a short amount of time. They came really dirty and the box was ripped so I suspect they didn't have a very nice life. If I do need to buy a new bud I might be open to trying to clean out and fix them myself but that seems daunting.
If you mean that you think you would get the successor to the SE846 (whatever that might be), I didn't mean to suggest that they won't have the SE846 lying around and send you the newer version. You could still end up with an SE846. If it isn't bad enough that you really need to get it fixed now then maybe you wait and see what comes out (and save some money) but I wouldn't send them in expecting a low cost or free upgrade. I also sent my Senn MTWs (v1) back to Sennheiser last year for a broken case after the MTW2 came out and they sent me back a brand new v1. I wasn't expecting the MTW2 and was quite happy with the fact that they replaced my broken set free of charge. Whether or not there was a newer version out was not part of my decision to send them in. I only mentioned my SE530 --> SE535 upgrade because I was impressed that Shure offered me that (my SE530s were well out of warranty). If you need a repair, I wouldn't hesitate to send it in Shure. If it is out of warranty, I would just expect to pay the flat fee and shipping to them and they will most likely just send you a new earbud. Note, the cost is per earbud so if it's both sides you want to replace, you are probably better off waiting for sales.

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #21,461 of 22,945
If you mean that you think you would get the successor to the SE846 (whatever that might be), I didn't mean to suggest that they won't have the SE846 lying around and send you the newer version. You could still end up with an SE846. If it isn't bad enough that you really need to get it fixed now then maybe you wait and see what comes out (and save some money) but I wouldn't send them in expecting a low cost or free upgrade. I also sent my Senn MTWs (v1) back to Sennheiser last year for a broken case after the MTW2 came out and they sent me back a brand new v1. I wasn't expecting the MTW2 and was quite happy with the fact that they replaced my broken set free of charge. Whether or not there was a newer version out was not part of my decision to send them in. I only mentioned my SE530 --> SE535 upgrade because I was impressed that Shure offered me that (my SE530s were well out of warranty). If you need a repair, I wouldn't hesitate to send it in Shure. If it is out of warranty, I would just expect to pay the flat fee and shipping to them and they will most likely just send you a new earbud. Note, the cost is per earbud so if it's both sides you want to replace, you are probably better off waiting for sales.
If I were to do it, I would only do the right side since the left bud is actually pristine. If they're just gonna charge me for a new bud I'm probably not risking shipping it to them. Another person had the same issue with a pair of SE846 that were much older and decided to use some sort of jewelry glue to put them back together. I'm not sure how his came completely apart though since part of the top of the SE846 are completely glued in place and have no seam. I've tried to get the debris out with compressed air but it's much harder to do than I originally anticipated. My bud is only opening up at the bottom, and stuffing a compressed air tube into the tiny opening is near impossible. Both buds are completely functional so if I were to reseal the open one somehow I would be happy. (I actually just did some light searching and saw you had a similar problem on a pair of se425 you own)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #21,462 of 22,945
If I were to do it, I would only do the right side since the left bud is actually pristine. If they're just gonna charge me for a new bud I'm probably not risking shipping it to them. Another person had the same issue with a pair of SE846 that were much older and decided to use some sort of jewelry glue to put them back together. I'm not sure how his came completely apart though since part of the top of the SE846 are completely glued in place and have no seam. I've tried to get the debris out with compressed air but it's much harder to do than I originally anticipated. My bud is only opening up at the bottom, and stuffing a compressed air tube into the tiny opening is near impossible. Both buds are completely functional so if I were to reseal the open one somehow I would be happy. (I actually just did some light searching and saw you had a similar problem on a pair of se425 you own)

Yes, the glue started coming off my SE425s. They work fine and I just cut off the part of the glue that was irritating my ear. Otherwise they are still working great after 7 years.

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #21,464 of 22,945
I always found those to be interesting for some reason, I looked at them when upgrading from my se215

Very different sound signature (SE425: neutral leaning towards mid-forward; SE215: bassy/bass-heavy, warm).

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #21,465 of 22,945
I’ve used them for a cracked SE846 ear bud just last year. I sent in both sides and they sent me a new pair. Shure is good about repairs as mine were out of the warranty period. To clarify a few things; you should use their online repair form, take a few pictures, provide proof of purchase, in few word clearly describe the issue and send in both earbuds all according to the instructions. They will give you a choice of repairing them or not even if it’s at no cost to you. Also I wouldn’t wait for a successor to the SE846 in hopes of being offered those as that may not happen at all. You want to use them just get them fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back