Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #21,421 of 22,954
giphy.gif

*Krusty the Clown entered the chat.

Same thoughts, that price is a bit too low though. I managed to get them new (sealed) for about $700, and I think it's a lot more fair price.

This reminds me of when I'm trying to sell anything locally and I always get questions like "what's the last price?", even when I set the price for a lot less than others are setting for the same thing in a similar condition.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #21,422 of 22,954
giphy.gif

*Krusty the Clown entered the chat.
Well yea 350 might be too good to be true but you know, we can always hope...
IEM prices should be more accessible anyways especially for an 8 year old equipment.
As I understand you can get these for around 600 now without the Bluetooth cable, but if not 350, I find it reasonable for someone to pay for this something along the bellow 500 euro mark.
Especially while it seems that they'll soon be replaced by an updated version

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #21,425 of 22,954
E
Well yea 350 might be too good to be true but you know, we can always hope...
IEM prices should be more accessible anyways especially for an 8 year old equipment.
As I understand you can get these for around 600 now without the Bluetooth cable, but if not 350, I find it reasonable for someone to pay for this something along the bellow 500 euro mark.
Especially while it seems that they'll soon be replaced by an updated version
The lowest I’ve seen them from a reputable dealer was £570.00. Kind of kicking my self that I didn’t bite at the time.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #21,426 of 22,954
E

The lowest I’ve seen them from a reputable dealer was £570.00. Kind of kicking my self that I didn’t bite at the time.

That's a good price. Admittedly there is every possibility that they will be replaced soon but then again 18 months or so ago Chord Electronics dropped the price of the mojo by 25%. I didn't buy it at the time because I already had a Hugo2 but I did think a new one was imminent, yet here we are over a year later with the mojo selling strongly at its full retail price so who knows.

Personally I think the SE846s are exceptional IEMs and worth their price, but we live in a free market where if people don't like them or think they are over priced they can always purchase something else.

Unless they just like posting silly comments for the sake of triggering the thread which seems probable.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #21,427 of 22,954
While we’re wishing for things, I wish the Oriolus Trailii would also sell for €350, after all, it’s just a hunk of boring looking plastic, and a very basic 8 y/o Rolex watch should cost €1,000.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #21,428 of 22,954
While we’re wishing for things, I wish the Oriolus Trailii would also sell for €350, after all, it’s just a hunk of boring looking plastic, and a very basic 8 y/o Rolex watch should cost €1,000.
I reckon I should be paying that 1935 Bugatti less than 200, I mean it doesn’t even have a catalytic converter for goodness sake! 🤣🤣🤣

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #21,429 of 22,954
Wow, that suck. I would think they could easily verify them as not fake from the picture so it’s concerning. It too bad, I love my 846 and I have other shure IEM’s too but there is so much counterfeit product on the market it’s going to cause people (like me) to just look elsewhere. It’s not their fault but maybe they need a compete design change or something.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #21,430 of 22,954
Wow, that suck. I would think they could easily verify them as not fake from the picture so it’s concerning. It too bad, I love my 846 and I have other shure IEM’s too but there is so much counterfeit product on the market it’s going to cause people (like me) to just look elsewhere. It’s not their fault but maybe they need a compete design change or something.
If you go to an authorised dealer there is no chance of getting a fake. If you buy from Amazon you can return them. If your careful it’s difficult to get screwed over. I would just be careful and not worry about it too much.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #21,431 of 22,954

Well, from those pictures the biggest clue is that his brother's 846 does not have the "Shure" name inscribed on the BA drivers, together with each BA's frequency response.

Is the Shure inscription not on every original 846? That would be weird, as it's not something small.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #21,432 of 22,954
The Shure name and frequency are on the drivers, it's just the lighting kinda made it difficult to see but yea everything on it from the writings, designs etc is the same as mines except the bottom part.

I was 50/50 they were real/fake but after sending Shure a pic and they themselves couldn't figure it out, I decided it's 25/75 real/fake then after listening to them for a few hours I became 100% shure they were fake. I could definitely tell I wasn't using my shures but something else.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #21,433 of 22,954
The Shure name and frequency are on the drivers, it's just the lighting kinda made it difficult to see but yea everything on it from the writings, designs etc is the same as mines except the bottom part.

I was 50/50 they were real/fake but after sending Shure a pic and they themselves couldn't figure it out, I decided it's 25/75 real/fake then after listening to them for a few hours I became 100% shure they were fake. I could definitely tell I wasn't using my shures but something else.
Just buy from a reputable dealer, or one with an easy return policy, like Amazon, and if in doubt, return it. The downside to Amazon is that people can easily return a substituted fake, or just due to the sheer size of Amazon, fakes get intermingled with genuine merchandise. It’s unfortunately not uncommon to get good fakes, such as memory cards, etc.

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #21,434 of 22,954
Well maybe I shouldn't be generalising but to my ears a wider stage would be an improvement. I find my self noticing a spatially congested presentation many times than not.
Also the white filters accentuate the same frequency response, meaning that the over 10khz area is still suppressed relatively.
I would expect more balance in that area from the next version.
At least this is what I would prefer to hear in the future after 3 years of almost daily experience with the se846.
Totally agree with you on the soundstage observation. That had been the only thing bugging me since i first bought the 846. I wonder if that is the nature of IEM. I am hesitant to get another expensive IEM just to find out that all IEM has limited soundstage.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #21,435 of 22,954
Maybe I'm just not that perceptive to what a large soundstage would sound like, but I personally find the 846 to have an excellent, 3D one. Imaging is also top notch. I'd suggest trying tips with a larger inner diameter than the OEM Shure silicone tips - with the Spinfit bore adapters you can use almost any tips meant for regular sized IEM bores. I like the Sony silicones myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back