Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #20,881 of 22,945
I would just like to express my appreciation for these awesome IEMs. I believe I'm on my 3rd or 4th year of having them and I use them daily for running, working out, traveling, and they have served me well for all of those purposes.

I've even accidentally put them through a full cycle in the washing machine and dryer and incredibly they have been working fine for well over a year since then, although they did require some time to dry out. :sweat_smile:

It took me trying out dozens of headphones before settling on these. The things I like best about them are the great isolation and fit, a sound signature which sounds natural to my ears with great bass extension, and a high mid/treble section which isn't fatiguing at all, yet maintains plenty of detail. This is what I really need for very long listening sessions aboard international flights.

These 846s actually got me to walk away from the headphone community for years because they were and still are truly end game for me when it comes to IEMs. They're exactly what I need and want. Maybe one day when they eventually die I'll have to look into something else, but for now I'm very satisfied. However, my attention has currently turned to full size headphones for use at home.

***Somewhat off topic, but it still relates to the 846s in some ways...***

I'm excited to also find my ideal full size cans, but so far in my journey I haven't found anything that I'm really in love with. Nothing I've tried has sounded quite "right" and natural the way the 846s do to me. I'm going for something fun sounding at first, and then I plan to go for something on the very technical side (likely an HD800S since I just recently found out that Sennheiser World HQ is less than 30 miles from where I'm currently living in Germany). Those will be for listening to classical and acoustic tracks, etc.

On the more fun side of things, in the past I've owned the Ultrasone Pro 900 (too muddy in the bass and had painful treble), a Sennheiser Momentum (sounded weird (tinny?) to me in the midrange), and I currently own an HD650. I like the 650, but it's a bit light on the bass for me in most of the music I enjoy listening to the majority of the time (EDM, reggae, pop, rap, etc.).

Looking to the very near future, I'm giving the Ultrasone Signature DJ a shot as well as the Klipsch HP-3, and the Fostex TH900. All of those are brighter than the Shures and deliver even more bass (which I like), but I dont mind that to a point when I'm listening for shorter periods at home. So far I've received the Signature DJ and my initial impressions are generally pretty positive. Could be a keeper if the other ones aren't a good fit. I'm curious what you think I'll like best based on my previous observations, my music preferences, and my satisfaction with the SE846. Take a guess and I'll report back when I've assessed them all in a few weeks!
What's your source for this IEMs? I struggling to decide among Fiio's BTR5 or Dragonfly's Cobalt as my phone's partner

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #20,882 of 22,945
What's your source for this IEMs? I struggling to decide among Fiio's BTR5 or Dragonfly's Cobalt as my phone's partner
I really like how it sounds with the DFC, FWIW.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #20,883 of 22,945
Those are two different devices and depends on if you want bluetooth or EQ.

I love my Dragonfly Cobalt and use it with my SE846 every day. I would recommend it. I used to use my ES100 mostly for travel where bluetooth is just more convenient but I prefer the DFC for SQ. I have never heard the BTR5 but I do have a Qudelix 5K (same DAC chip) on the way which will probably replace the ES100 (now just connected to my receiver in my living room) but I do not expect it to replace my DFC. They have different uses for me.

The other advantage of those bluetooth devices is EQ, which I don't really care for or use with the SE846, but may be important to you. The BTR5, as far as I know, does not allow for EQ over LDAC so if you need that, check out the Qudelix, which just started shipping this week.

Jun 20, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #20,884 of 22,945

Since the usb port on my phone is broken (galaxy note 9) I mostly just use it straight out of the headphone jack on that. It's far from ideal, but it still sounds nice enough for most of my activities.

I also have a headamp Pico which I use when I do have a working USB feed, but I wouldn't really recommend that dac/amp for the 846. It's a warm amp and I think if anything these headphones could stand to be paired with something bright. Unfortunately I don't really have a recommendation for that but I'd love to hear about this from others as well.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #20,885 of 22,945
So far quite happy with the lavricables master 22awg cable and lightning-usb adaptor + DFC. On my 28th hours breaking in the lavricables, the sound is more than I expected, it sounds very similar to my home system which is multiple times the cost. Whats amazing is how this simple system can produce this kind of sound quality.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #20,886 of 22,945
I really like the sound of the se846 with a silver cable.

B773A545-90C1-4AD1-83C6-5DD779D233B8.jpeg

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #20,888 of 22,945
Which silver cable are you using? The only thing with the lavricables, the mmcx connectors are a bit wiggly on my se846 which cause some lose connection sometimes and crackling. But the sound is 😻
I‘m using the TRN T3 cable, $30+/-, but you’re correct. The MMCX connection on my left earpiece is not solid, and sometimes cuts out. I’m not exactly sure why, and this is the case with 2 different T3 cables. Other MMCX cables I’ve tried work fine with the se846, and the T3 cables work great on other MMCX IEMs w/o connection issues. I’ve just used them at home, when not moving around much.

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #20,889 of 22,945
I‘m using the TRN T3 cable, $30+/-, but you’re correct. The MMCX connection on my left earpiece is not solid, and sometimes cuts out. I’m not exactly sure why, and this is the case with 2 different T3 cables. Other MMCX cables I’ve tried work fine with the se846, and the T3 cables work great on other MMCX IEMs w/o connection issues. I’ve just used them at home, when not moving around much.
Actually im also having trouble w the left connection as well w my lavri? What I did was I took the washers from the stock mmcx and put it w the lavri it doesnt cut out anymore. Which tips are u using in the pic?

Jun 20, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #20,890 of 22,945
Actually im also having trouble w the left connection as well w my lavri? What I did was I took the washers from the stock mmcx and put it w the lavri it doesnt cut out anymore. Which tips are u using in the pic?
Thanks for the tip. It’s the SpinFit CP800.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #20,892 of 22,945
Im curious about their sound, am currently using the comply p-series tips. And youre welcome!
I think they sound similar to the gray stock rubber/silicone tips, but the bass seems better focused and a little more prominent. Treble is very clear and undamped, so it maximizes the extension that the se846 can provide. They are nothing phenomenal, but provide my favorite overall sound balance.

Jun 20, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #20,893 of 22,945
@loxxrider I feel the same about the 846. Nice impressions!

In terms of full sized cans, I've been loving life with the NightOwls. Whilst not quite the same, they very much remind me of the Shures. Comfortable, non-fatiguing and an organic sound sig, if a bit warmer sounding through the bass and mids. Not been tempted to move away from them regardless of price.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #20,895 of 22,945

This is interesting...I am using a Meze Audio Rai Silver Plated cable and don't have any connection issues but I did notice the left side fits perfectly and the right side felt a bit tight. It made me nervous at first and I thought it might be the cable because I never noticed this with any Shure cables but I wonder if Shure designed the right side to be slightly smaller? I always assumed it was my cable but now your posts have me thinking it might be the connectors on the IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back