Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #20,866 of 22,945
Opened mine today...

Have previously owned the 535s (red LTD) which were exquisite, and currently have a pair of 215s kicking around.

the initial verdict... I’m slightly underwhelmed. Mids and highs are good, but not much happening with the bass. The whole sound seems quite flat. I think the seals of the tips are fine, so maybe I need to play around with these tube inserts? Or perhaps they need some burning in?

(also, the player is new - AK SR15 unboxed yesterday), so maybe that needs some burn in.

Compared to my SE535s (currently on its way back to me from Shure) I thought there was a very noticeable difference. The SE846 reminds me of my sealed sub. I can hear the bass and has a nice rumbling sub bass to it but never overpowers my music. I use the stock filters that came installed (never found a need to change it) with Spinfit CP800 tips and my Dragonfly Cobalt. I usually listen to music on Qovuz via UAPP.

To give you some context, I am not a bass head by any means and sometimes find some dynamic drivers to have too much bass for my taste (like my Senn MTWs for example). As others have posted before, the source matters as well. If you find the bass lacking after tip rolling and using a proper source, you may want to check out some DD IEMs instead.

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #20,867 of 22,945
I’m a bass head, and definitely prefer DDs. While the bass on the se846 is not at bass head levels, for most of my music, I don’t find it lacking at all. Also, the texture, rumble, and decay are the most like DD bass of any all-BA IEM that I’ve heard. Tips, source, and filters all make a difference.

Jun 19, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #20,868 of 22,945
My Lavricables Master 22Awg litz and the lightning to usb adapter just arrived. Breaking them in together with my DFC, and comply P series to top it off. Will see if I still need to play around with the foam inside the filter once the new cables been broken in. Great service from Lavricables, on time as schedule, and I hear beautiful things already compared to my old stock cable.

355E307D-13E5-4C3C-BBE8-AB77FFECB99D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #20,869 of 22,945
Opened mine today...

Have previously owned the 535s (red LTD) which were exquisite, and currently have a pair of 215s kicking around.

the initial verdict... I’m slightly underwhelmed. Mids and highs are good, but not much happening with the bass. The whole sound seems quite flat. I think the seals of the tips are fine, so maybe I need to play around with these tube inserts? Or perhaps they need some burning in?

(also, the player is new - AK SR15 unboxed yesterday), so maybe that needs some burn in.

Is this a new unit or used?

Just to be sure: you didn't change filters, did you? Because when I once did, I did not correctly screw the metal plate in, and the resulting leak lead to an almost complete loss of bass impact, despite seal.

Otherwise, brain burn-in may help of course (i.e. changing perspective/expectations), but I'd still expect bass to be rather strong compared to the 535 actually. Maybe try another source? The AK15 may have a Higher output impedance that results in a skewed frequency response due to the low impedance of the SE864. Cable is sitting correctly in the sockets? Maybe try the other cable provided in the box.

Jun 19, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #20,871 of 22,945
Is this a new unit or used?

Just to be sure: you didn't change filters, did you? Because when I once did, I did not correctly screw the metal plate in, and the resulting leak lead to an almost complete loss of bass impact, despite seal.

Otherwise, brain burn-in may help of course (i.e. changing perspective/expectations), but I'd still expect bass to be rather strong compared to the 535 actually. Maybe try another source? The AK15 may have a Higher output impedance that results in a skewed frequency response due to the low impedance of the SE864. Cable is sitting correctly in the sockets? Maybe try the other cable provided in the box.
All brand new. I am going to give it some time and see how it goes over the next 1-2 weeks. Haven’t changed the tubes or made any mods.

I also had quite a bit of crackling/cutting out when the 3.5mm Jack was rotated (on multiple sources),but that seems to have gone after a few attempts at cleaning it.

I’m 95% sure it’s genuine as it was purchased new fro Amazon (directly, no 3rd party seller).

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #20,872 of 22,945
Get SpinFits CP800 for them. HUGE bass, I actually couldn't take any more... Also, to make sure you are getting a good seal, put a drop of oil into your ear (I use coconut oil). Obviously you are not getting a good seal...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #20,873 of 22,945
@HoratioNelson Definitely sounds like seal issues. Most previous 535 owners who chime in on here almost always notice quite an audible improvement across the board when moving to the 846, most evident in the bass.

Try the yellow foams that came with them. It's almost impossible not to get a good fit and seal with those spongy fellows.

I'm not fussy with tip selection but tend to gravitate towards the Sony tips (attached with the spinfit bore adaptors) when I'm in the mood for silicons.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #20,874 of 22,945
Been listening to Deezer Hi-Fi on the A&K SR15. Maybe I had too high expectations, but I have better memories of my AK70 mki and SE535 pairing from a few years back.
Sorry, you had mentioned your source, but I just missed it.

Others already mentioned a lot of good ideas. Just to try something with what you already have, try using the Shure triple flange tips if you can. They provide an incredible seal, and really tend to boost the bass a lot. You may not like the sound overall with those tips, but it’s just to evaluate the bass.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #20,875 of 22,945
Sorry, you had mentioned your source, but I just missed it.

Others already mentioned a lot of good ideas. Just to try something with what you already have, try using the Shure triple flange tips if you can. They provide an incredible seal, and really tend to boost the bass a lot. You may not like the sound overall with those tips, but it’s just to evaluate the bass.

I second the triple flange tips to provide a good seal, but they tend to roll off the high freq.

Jun 19, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #20,878 of 22,945
How is the comply P-series compared to the Spinfit SP800?
I haven't used the P-series. But comply tips are foam tips and as such roll off the already rolled off (upper) highs of se846. Spinfits are silicone tips and are actually enhancing high frequencies in comparison to Shure's own silicone tips. Also, the p-series are elongated tips placed deeper into the ear canal. This affects the soundstage IMO, that is, rendering it more narrow.

If you can find an sp800 size that offers adequate seal by being placed more peripherally in the ear canal you would get the best bass possible for se846, better highs, better soundstage, more comfortable listening experience. But having said that, sometimes I find Shure silicone tips (olives) to offer the most coherent sound.

Considering the above, for foam tips, I would probably go for the Comply Comfort +
(https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AQU2VL0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1) which seem to be sealing more peripherally in the ear canal.
I am actually placing an order for these to test my hypothesis and see how they compare to the silicones...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #20,879 of 22,945
I haven't used the P-series. But comply tips are foam tips and as such roll off the already rolled off (upper) highs of se846. Spinfits are silicone tips and are actually enhancing high frequencies in comparison to Shure's own silicone tips. Also, the p-series are elongated tips placed deeper into the ear canal. This affects the soundstage IMO, that is, rendering it more narrow.

If you can find an sp800 size that offers adequate seal by being placed more peripherally in the ear canal you would get the best bass possible for se846, better highs, better soundstage, more comfortable listening experience. But having said that, sometimes I find Shure silicone tips (olives) to offer the most coherent sound.

Considering the above, for foam tips, I would probably go for the Comply Comfort +
(https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AQU2VL0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1) which seem to be sealing more peripherally in the ear canal.
I am actually placing an order for these to test my hypothesis and see how they compare to the silicones...

Pls keep us updated with your find. Thank you.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #20,880 of 22,945
I would just like to express my appreciation for these awesome IEMs. I believe I'm on my 3rd or 4th year of having them and I use them daily for running, working out, traveling, and they have served me well for all of those purposes.

I've even accidentally put them through a full cycle in the washing machine and dryer and incredibly they have been working fine for well over a year since then, although they did require some time to dry out. :sweat_smile:

It took me trying out dozens of headphones before settling on these. The things I like best about them are the great isolation and fit, a sound signature which sounds natural to my ears with great bass extension, and a high mid/treble section which isn't fatiguing at all, yet maintains plenty of detail. This is what I really need for very long listening sessions aboard international flights.

These 846s actually got me to walk away from the headphone community for years because they were and still are truly end game for me when it comes to IEMs. They're exactly what I need and want. Maybe one day when they eventually die I'll have to look into something else, but for now I'm very satisfied. However, my attention has currently turned to full size headphones for use at home.

***Somewhat off topic, but it still relates to the 846s in some ways...***

I'm excited to also find my ideal full size cans, but so far in my journey I haven't found anything that I'm really in love with. Nothing I've tried has sounded quite "right" and natural the way the 846s do to me. I'm going for something fun sounding at first, and then I plan to go for something on the very technical side (likely an HD800S since I just recently found out that Sennheiser World HQ is less than 30 miles from where I'm currently living in Germany). Those will be for listening to classical and acoustic tracks, etc.

On the more fun side of things, in the past I've owned the Ultrasone Pro 900 (too muddy in the bass and had painful treble), a Sennheiser Momentum (sounded weird (tinny?) to me in the midrange), and I currently own an HD650. I like the 650, but it's a bit light on the bass for me in most of the music I enjoy listening to the majority of the time (EDM, reggae, pop, rap, etc.).

Looking to the very near future, I'm giving the Ultrasone Signature DJ a shot as well as the Klipsch HP-3, and the Fostex TH900. All of those are brighter than the Shures and deliver even more bass (which I like), but I dont mind that to a point when I'm listening for shorter periods at home. So far I've received the Signature DJ and my initial impressions are generally pretty positive. Could be a keeper if the other ones aren't a good fit. I'm curious what you think I'll like best based on my previous observations, my music preferences, and my satisfaction with the SE846. Take a guess and I'll report back when I've assessed them all in a few weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back