Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #20,731 of 22,945
I didn't get the Atlas either when I auditioned them, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. They didn't sound big like most people said they were. I read that Campfire units could have variance issues though, and in my experience, I've also tried Andros that sounded vastly different in different stores (controlling for tip rolling). However I have read comments from many people who're super happy with them too, so, power to them!

I think of my Shure SE846 as the decision between a fancy sport´s car that can be fun to drive for a while vs my comfortable luxurious Sedan car.
Whereas some others may impress upon listening (= Fancy Sports car), I'm always happy to return to shure se846 for the comfortable / fatigue-free experience (= Sedan Car).

Edit: I personally did have to swap cables though as I couldn't agree with the stock cable (memory wire).
I replaced it with a Linum Superbax.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #20,732 of 22,945
I think of my Shure SE846 as the decision between a fancy sport´s car that can be fun to drive for a while vs my comfortable luxurious Sedan car.
Whereas some others may impress upon listening (= Fancy Sports car), I'm always happy to return to shure se846 for the comfortable / fatigue-free experience (= Sedan Car).

Excellent analogy.

May 15, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #20,733 of 22,945
The thin nozzle also prevents proper tip rolling.

Yes, but also, no. I often use the RHA and Sony silicon tips on my set using the bore adaptors that come with the double flange spinfits. Probably one of the most useful purchases I've ever made in the audio realm!

You can sort of make out the adaptors in this snap of my 846s with the Sony tips:

11182419.jpeg

May 15, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #20,734 of 22,945
Yes, but also, no. I often use the RHA and Sony silicon tips on my set using the bore adaptors that come with the double flange spinfits. Probably one of the most useful purchases I've ever made in the audio realm!

You can sort of make out the adaptors in this snap of my 846s with the Sony tips:

11182419.jpeg

Wow that's good for you! I tried the Final Audio nozzle adapters and other tips, but they just didn't work as well as the stock ones. So yes, I should have mentioned that there are nozzle adapters available, but u really do need to experiment with a few tips

May 15, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #20,735 of 22,945
Yea the se846 is criminally underrated in today's league of andromedas, moondrops and chifis. Not everyone's gonna like the way its treble is tuned on the blue and black filters, and many people will find the white filter too harsh in most contexts. But the extremely articulate bass and subbass, along with the creamy, close to mic mids, and realistic reproduction of timbre (at least to my ears) still fill a niche of its own. I've tried andromedas time and time again (tip rolled and cable rolled), and while I can appreciate how breathtaking those are, the se846 still warms my heart and hits me deep above the andros.

I think whether you like se846 or not still comes down to a couple of things: whether you are tilted towards holographic or realistic reproduction of stage, upper treble shimmer, sharpness of treble, the tips, the fit and... Well. The cable.

Many demo sets use the olive foams of the wrong size, plus they don't allow u to swap filters. The thin nozzle also prevents proper tip rolling. Plus, the shells are insanely comfy in medium or larger ears, but on small ears (like my wife's) they can cause issues. These factors tend to turn off a good number of people when they first demo it. I also believe cable rolling and balanced output make a big difference, but the naysayers will immediately dismiss it and slap a few more downvotes.

If those factors mentioned don't work out for you, you're unlikely to like the se846s. But if they do, you'll probably really really like them.

Tip rolled cable rolled filter rolled, on 4.4 big boy jack and wm1a playing huge dsd files that are like 1G/per track.

Too much sub-bass presence.

May 15, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #20,736 of 22,945
Whereas some others may impress upon listening (= Fancy Sports car), I'm always happy to return to shure se846 for the comfortable / fatigue-free experience (= Sedan Car)..

I think of it as a high-performance, but dependable, sports sedan, or for our European customers, a sports wagon. A lot of fun, but it is also something you use for looooong sessions. It’ll never be a Lamborghini, but then you also won’t throw your back out while getting into it, or have your ears bleed with piercing, unnatural treble.

May 15, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #20,737 of 22,945
Have to say that the shure foam olives area quite nice and confy, but i like more the silicon tips, so i ended up with spinfits as I always does in my inears, but since some times i felt it doesent gives that kind of isolation, so i cut the "core" of another silicon tip and add the outer layer inside the spinfits
That gave better isolation and secureness, at least to my ear canals
20200515_090251.jpg

May 15, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #20,738 of 22,945
Have to say that the shure foam olives area quite nice and confy, but i like more the silicon tips, so i ended up with spinfits as I always does in my inears, but since some times i felt it doesent gives that kind of isolation, so i cut the "core" of another silicon tip and add the outer layer inside the spinfits
That gave better isolation and secureness, at least to my ear canals

Maybe try getting some foam earplugs, cutting it to length, then using a hole puncher (for leather), punch a core in it, then place it inside of the silicone tip? This is not my idea, and I have yet to try it, but others do it a lot. Better isolation, with silicone feel and structure.

May 15, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #20,739 of 22,945
Maybe try getting some foam earplugs, cutting it to length, then using a hole puncher (for leather), punch a core in it, then place it inside of the silicone tip? This is not my idea, and I have yet to try it, but others do it a lot. Better isolation, with silicone feel and structure.
I have tried to remove the core of the foam tips and do the same, but the result is a super stiff tip, but didnt try to cut it more with a hole punch cutter, and just leave like the outer layer of foam
Will try since i bought a lot of foam tips for this experiments

May 15, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #20,741 of 22,945
What about dual flange? They isolate quite well and usually give a better sound due to deeper insertion.

I've just ordered these: https://www.amazon.de/patentierte-Silikon-Ohrstöpsel-Kopfhörer-lieferumfang-enthalten/dp/B06X3VT9F9

That’s exactly what I use, when using them as a stage monitor. I use the Shure triple flange tips, but cut off the smallest flange. It isolates just as good, is more comfortable, and does not attenuate the treble as much. Bass is more prominent. I use these tips because of the incredible isolation they provide.

The treble, imaging, and soundstage are better for me with single flange tips though.

May 16, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #20,742 of 22,945
Can't wait to try my Effect Audio Leonidas here. Have just ordered an MMCX to 2 pin (female) connector. This will most likely improve soundstage and separation by quite a bit.

MMCX_2PIN_EARPHONE_ADAPTER_OE_2_1024x1024.jpg

This connector will do it, right?

Interested in these but with male 2 pin, to use my current Balanced 846 cables with Fourtes. Is the adapter fine to use with Balanced cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back