Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #20,701 of 22,954
Do any of you use your SE846 with a desktop system? If so, what do you use to drive them?

I haven't done so in years, but when I did I used the Shure SHA900 via USB.

May 3, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #20,702 of 22,954
Question for all: Does anyone know where to buy spare filters? I would like to try some filter mods for the se846. TIA!

May 4, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #20,704 of 22,954
Had my Shure se846-CL for 4 years now used most days in gym and have not showed any sign of discoloration.
I just leave them on my work desk after the gym so never put them in any kind of case but still look like new.

May 4, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #20,706 of 22,954
SE846 is extremely source-dependent in terms of output impdedance. The impedance of SE846 at some frequencies is as low as 4 Ohm. That means, any source with output impedance >1Ohm would change the sound signature, to the worse. Better is a source with output impedance <0.5 Ohm. Balanced cable will usually increase the output impedance by a factor of 2 (if not a completely different circuitry is used for balanced vs. single ended). You do the math for your source....
Did more investigating and got to listen to it on a 1 ohm source and the experience was just wonderful! Really ended up listening to an entire album of Gregory Porter just smiling away :)

May 4, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #20,708 of 22,954
Did more investigating and got to listen to it on a 1 ohm source and the experience was just wonderful! Really ended up listening to an entire album of Gregory Porter just smiling away :)
I really like how it sounds with the Dragonfly Cobalt (OI 0.65 ohms).

May 5, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #20,709 of 22,954
I don't know about other Shure owners but whenever I try other IEM's, I often feel like raising the volume before I get a satisfying experience.
With my SE846 I tend to keep the volume way down and still be happy with it :)
Is this just me because they isolate so well for me or is anyone else noticing the same?
(ex: Higher volume on Andromeda, Technics Eah-tz700, ...)

May 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #20,710 of 22,954
I don't know about other Shure owners but whenever I try other IEM's, I often feel like raising the volume before I get a satisfying experience.
Is this just me because they isolate so well for me or is anyone else noticing the same?

Every iem has different a resistance value (ohm), and yes 846 is one of the lowest ones I've tried. It also keeps the details at low volumes without sounding weird.

May 5, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #20,712 of 22,954

These are sensitive IEMs, and require much less output for big volume (and they provide excellent isolation), but I get what you’re saying. The 846s still have a lot of detail and dynamics even if playing at a lower actual volume, compared to many other IEMs. I find DDs need more volume to “wake up” compared to BAs in general.

May 6, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #20,713 of 22,954
Do any of you use your SE846 with a desktop system? If so, what do you use to drive them?

I primarily use mine with a Dragonfly Cobalt (UAPP/Qobus on Android phone) but now that I have been stuck at home for the last 6 weeks, I have been thinking of getting a DAC for my desktop Thinking Topping D50s with an A50 (for form factor but would need to use IE Match, which I have but am not fond of using with the SE846) or JDS Atom or maybe even something smaller like the ifi nano idsd BL since I have limited desk space. I was thinking the D50 since I can probably set it up once and forget it since my wife uses the desktop as well. The portables usually have batteries, which concerns me for long-term desktop use. Would use it primarily as a preamp but want flexibility to use IEMs for when I am working at night as well. Don't really want to spend more than 300-400 bucks since I am pretty happy with the Cobalt.

I was thinking of getting the D50s/A50 combo and just continuing to use my Cobalt for IEMs but was curious if there are any desktop amps that are good with IEMs as well.
The Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter is ideal for the SE846. It's dead silent and has < 1 ohm output impedance. Many desktop amps will have an audible noise floor on the SE846. There is zero benefit to upgrading beyond the $9 Apple dongle. You can also us the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter with a Lightning to USB adapter.

May 6, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #20,714 of 22,954
Honestly the beauty of the se846 is it doesn't need a great source to sound 70-80% of the way there. I use it straight to my laptop most of the time.

May 6, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #20,715 of 22,954
While the 846 sounds really good with simple sources (I often just use it straight out of my iPhone/iPad), it also scales very well with better sources. So, it’s really the best of both worlds. Just watch out for the output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back