Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #19,353 of 22,945
Hey all,

sorry to interject so randomly, but as of now I'm looking to make a big upgrade. I recently demoed the shure se846 and westone w80 for about 2 hours and I'll be quite honest--they sounded good, but they didn't sound $1000 good. As a matter of fact, they only sounded marginally better than my $100 grados. I'm still very much an amateur to the audio world so my only source was the note 5. Am I missing something here?

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #19,354 of 22,945
Hey all,

sorry to interject so randomly, but as of now I'm looking to make a big upgrade. I recently demoed the shure se846 and westone w80 for about 2 hours and I'll be quite honest--they sounded good, but they didn't sound $1000 good. As a matter of fact, they only sounded marginally better than my $100 grados. I'm still very much an amateur to the audio world so my only source was the note 5. Am I missing something here?

Yes. But, hey, buy what you like and don't worry about what people think is best. If you're getting sound you like out of $100, then that's awesome.

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #19,355 of 22,945
Hey all,

A good DAP rather than a phone makes more use of 846s abilities. They scale very well. Then a Chord Mojo increases further. A higher end DAP like Questyle or iBasso DX150/200 or A&K Futura takes up a further notch.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #19,357 of 22,945
Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread, but would any of you all happen to know some high end iems that run well on just a smartphone (I'm reluctant to spend extra cash on those aforementioned items)?

I realize I wasn't very helpful earlier. I happen to have a Note 5, and I don't think it pairs very well with the 846. The main reason is that the output impedance of the Note 5 is 4.6 ohm and the impedance of the 846 is 4-16 ohm (it varies with the frequency). Ideally, you want your earphone to have an impedance of 8 times the output impedance. Less than that, and the frequency response gets skewed, often dramatically. So, for the Note 5, that's 36.8 ohm, although, I think earphones with the very common impedance of 32 ohm would be just fine. Unfortunately, earphones that have multiple balanced armature set-ups usually have impedance ranges that dip very low, making them generally, though not always, unsuitable for use straight out of a phone. I would recommend looking for a single dynamic driver earphone with an impedance at or above 32 ohm. I'm not familiar with the Grados you mentioned, but this may be why they sound so comparatively good.

That being said, even a modest DAP will outperform your cellphone's audio performance and if you get one with less than 0.5 ohm output impedance (fairly common), you won't ever have to worry about this issue again.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #19,358 of 22,945
Jul 15, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #19,359 of 22,945
Hey all,

Perhaps you didn’t have the correct seal in your ear. It took me a few months to finally get the right tips to fit my ear - as ears are so unique - everything changes then - and you’d never give them up afterwards.

Sometimes leap of faith is required, but if possible buy second hand from someone you can trust and save yourself the money.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #19,360 of 22,945
YOUTUBE AUDIO CONVERTERS/CONVERSIONS QUESTIONS:

Hi. I use my SE846 for listening to music. I really like the boy band, Keane, and so this group taught me to make flac files from cd's --- tyvm !! However, I also really like to listen to the many hundreds of recordings of their live performances that are on youtube as video/audio. To-date I've just used various free 'youtube to mp3 converters'. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT'S BEST TO DO TO GET HIGHEST QUALITY RECORDINGS OF YOUTUBES I CAN MAKE. I tried to study the issue online, and I find all sorts of contradictory postings from so, so many 'experts in audio'. The sorts of questions I have:

1. When I choose a converter, do I look for the highest bps? See, I read one post by an 'audio expert' that said ~'doesn't matter because all youtubes are 128 bps'.
2. What is this 'aac' I see posted? My mind was way too overloaded to even begin to try to figure out what 'aac' means and why it matters.
3. What's best to convert 'TO' ------------- flac? mp3? mp4? 'aac'??????? I got completely confused - is 'aac' a type of file I want to covert youtube audios 'to'???? And, an 'audio expert' said flac conversions from youtubes are idiotic, but I didn't understand why. And, I'm in brain overload and No Way could I study what the diff' is between mp3 and mp4.
4. And there's usually a long list of choice of file types to which I can convert the youtubes - should I always choose, for EG, mp3, or for EG, flac?? Or, should I try other files types? (And, again, is 'aac' a file type????)
5. I also read that I should 'extract' the audio from the youtubes separately and before I then create the flac/mp3 file. Is that true, and, if so, what are the 2 best free apps/extensions I should use? (FYI - If it makes a diff', I always use chrome, and I do have a computer on which I make flac files from cds, but for most of my time online I use a chromebook.)

The answers you give me, PLEASE 'dumb down' your lingo' as I'm about as low on the learning curve as there is-- even the 'dummies' book lingo' can overload my brain and have me feel hopeless.

Also, freely PM me and I'll give you my email if you might consider tutoring me --- my brain LOVES listening to music, and the SE846 and this group helping and teaching me has literally elevated my daily life because my listening to music is so exquisitely beautiful now - ty !!

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #19,361 of 22,945

Hi. I use my SE846 for listening to music. I really like the boy band, Keane, and so this group taught me to make flac files from cd's --- tyvm !! However, I also really like to listen to the many hundreds of recordings of their live performances that are on youtube as video/audio. To-date I've just used various free 'youtube to mp3 converters'. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT'S BEST TO DO TO GET HIGHEST QUALITY RECORDINGS OF YOUTUBES I CAN MAKE. I tried to study the issue online, and I find all sorts of contradictory postings from so, so many 'experts in audio'. The sorts of questions I have:

1. When I choose a converter, do I look for the highest bps? See, I read one post by an 'audio expert' that said ~'doesn't matter because all youtubes are 128 bps'.
2. What is this 'aac' I see posted? My mind was way too overloaded to even begin to try to figure out what 'aac' means and why it matters.
3. What's best to convert 'TO' ------------- flac? mp3? mp4? 'aac'??????? I got completely confused - is 'aac' a type of file I want to covert youtube audios 'to'???? And, an 'audio expert' said flac conversions from youtubes are idiotic, but I didn't understand why. And, I'm in brain overload and No Way could I study what the diff' is between mp3 and mp4.
4. And there's usually a long list of choice of file types to which I can convert the youtubes - should I always choose, for EG, mp3, or for EG, flac?? Or, should I try other files types? (And, again, is 'aac' a file type????)
5. I also read that I should 'extract' the audio from the youtubes separately and before I then create the flac/mp3 file. Is that true, and, if so, what are the 2 best free apps/extensions I should use? (FYI - If it makes a diff', I always use chrome, and I do have a computer on which I make flac files from cds, but for most of my time online I use a chromebook.)

The answers you give me, PLEASE 'dumb down' your lingo' as I'm about as low on the learning curve as there is-- even the 'dummies' book lingo' can overload my brain and have me feel hopeless.

Also, freely PM me and I'll give you my email if you might consider tutoring me --- my brain LOVES listening to music, and the SE846 and this group helping and teaching me has literally elevated my daily life because my listening to music is so exquisitely beautiful now - ty !!

At the risk of being placed into quotes as another 'audio expert' - they were right and the research is not difficult to perform at Wikipedia to establish in your mind with some confidence that they are right.

AAC is a filetype, yes. A very good 'lossy' compressed audio file type that betters MP3 in many ways. YouTube is using 128kbps audio files embedded in their videos, but not 128kbps MP3 but rather the AAC format - AAC produces a superior 128kbps product.

I would simply extract the audio to FLAC files - that is a lossless compression format and saves you disk space over using WAV. Use Foobar2000 or Audacity - either will pull audio from a video file.

Please begin a new thread and point to that from here if you have further questions - this is actually quite off-topic from the se846 topic being discussed here.

Terry

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #19,362 of 22,945
https://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=72526 use it to download original audio file - that's absolutely best you can get from YouTube.

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #19,364 of 22,945
Now at last I am ready to pulle the trigger on a pair of SE846 (had to get my car repaired first :wink: )
I am a litte undecided betweed the RHA dacamp L1 and the Oppo HA-2SE.

Both are good candidates- the Oppo costing sligtly less and having the lower output impedance ( 0,5 ohm vs. 2,2 ohm ) which should match the SE846 better- right?

Any thoughts about those two options ?

Spin a coin ? :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #19,365 of 22,945
Now at last I am ready to pulle the trigger on a pair of SE846 (had to get my car repaired first :wink: )
I am a litte undecided betweed the RHA dacamp L1 and the Oppo HA-2SE.

Both are good candidates- the Oppo costing sligtly less and having the lower output impedance ( 0,5 ohm vs. 2,2 ohm ) which should match the SE846 better- right?

Any thoughts about those two options ?

Spin a coin ? :wink:

The lower impedance choice would definitely be the better one in the case of the SE846, for sure! :)

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back