Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #19,322 of 22,945
I found the SpinFit CP240 too airy.
Played with them for a while, but came out disappointed.
These are totally inferior to the "Westone STAR Silicone Ear Tips"

I found that to be true for myself as well because I just can't get a great seal with spinfits .... they're not large enough. I wouldn't generalize for everyone, though. Tip rolling is quite an individual experience.

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #19,323 of 22,945
I found that to be true for myself as well because I just can't get a great seal with spinfits .... they're not large enough. I wouldn't generalize for everyone, though. Tip rolling is quite an individual experience.
Exactly. Everybody's ears are different. There's no right or wrong. It's only a question of whether they work for you or not.

Jul 9, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #19,324 of 22,945
I usually don't try alternative tips since in most cases those delivered with in-ears fit my ears. With the 846 I used the Shure medium foam tips for about 3 years. Just to discover recently that the small foam tips actually fit a bit better, with the in-ears staying in place better during walking.
Immediately I tried the small tips on the KSE1500 and much to my surprise there they are too small... the metal bore the 846 might be a bit larger in diameter.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #19,325 of 22,945
I used to have that exact setup. The problem for me was cellular/EMI/RFI interference from the Mojo. The SE846 are pretty sensitive and pick up anything and everything. I couldn't live with the Mojo's poor shielding. (FYI, I have no problem with the Hugo 2.)

Do you need a DAC/amp for those IEMs when using an Iphone (7) as source?

Jul 9, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #19,326 of 22,945
Do you need a DAC/amp for those IEMs when using an Iphone (7) as source?
Well, you do - because you have an iPhone 7 :wink:

I guess you're asking if you can do better than the little dongly thing you're forced to carry around with you on account of Apple being courageous? Apple's DAC/amp combos (including the one in the new dongle) usually have very good (quiet) noise floors, but historically not such a good output impedance (a bit too high at ~ 5 Ohm) and (currently, with the dongle) not such a great dynamic range. So you can definitely do better with a good external DAC/amp, e.g., something like a Chord device or the Dragonfly Red or Cozy Rei. But there are problems here, because these are non-Apple devices and they often don't work properly (or at all) after an iOS update. Your safest best is probably to also carry a CCK with you. In terms of output power, the iPhone + dongle will have plenty, although there might be an issue here too, because the SE846 are very sensitive and back in the day when I had an iPhone I used to jailbreak in order to get more volume increments, because on some tracks I still found volume level 1 already too loud.

If you can one day extricate yourself from the iOS ecosystem, the LG V30 is an awesome phone, with better battery life than any iPhone and a built-in quad ESS DAC with automatic output gain control based on the detected headphone impedance via its 3.5mm headphone socket. Just saying... :wink:

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #19,331 of 22,945
I am kinda torn between the 846 and the Beyer Xelento
If I didn't own both, I would be too :) I made a direct comparison of the two in my review of the Xelentos, which also includes effects of the various SE846 filter mods (scroll down to the "Comparisons with Other IEMs" section):

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

The SE846 gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of tuning. The Xelento just is what it is - you can't tune it and it doesn't have as many eartip options on account of its short nozzles.

Everybody hears things differently, so best option (if you can) is to try both before you buy. But I think you'd enjoy either one. With a couple of easy mods, you can tweak the SE846 FR to get fairly close to that of the Xelento.

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #19,333 of 22,945
If by "correct" you mean exaggerated bass and absent trebles - yes, you are right.
There is a huge issue on headfi with people pluaralising words. The plural of treble is TREBLE.
There's also this very informative review by Lord Victor Halgaard which indicates he hears the 846 to be very neutral. His other reviews are excellent as well.

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #19,334 of 22,945
There is a huge issue on headfi with people pluaralising words. The plural of treble is TREBLE.
There's also this very informative review by Lord Victor Halgaard which indicates he hears the 846 to be very neutral. His other reviews are excellent as well.

Maybe there should be a mandatory 1 on 1 session for each new member to ensure they appreciate and promise to use the correct pluralisation. With enough resources, we could solve this problem and build a better generation of headfi-ers.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #19,335 of 22,945
Maybe there should be a mandatory 1 on 1 session for each new member to ensure they appreciate and promise to use the correct pluralisation. With enough resources, we could solve this problem and build a better generation of headfi-ers.
Vinyl is the other one. The plural is vinyl. It is the scourge of the post millennium. Forget global warming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back