Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #17,731 of 22,945
I may be in the lesser crowds here but Westone W60 and W80, try those. typically people dont like shure, they'll look at Westone.

I really like my W80, they really close in term of signature with Mr. Speakers Ether C.
thanks.. i'd considered them too but i read that their mids are even smoother and soft? Do you have any of those with you? Would you prefer that over the se846 for say something like "sympathy for the devil - guns n roses cover"?

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #17,732 of 22,945
thanks.. i'd considered them too but i read that their mids are even smoother and soft? Do you have any of those with you? Would you prefer that over the se846 for say something like "sympathy for the devil - guns n roses cover"?

i preffer the Westone due to comfort is my number 1 priority, Westone ergonomic is nnumber 1 for universals IEM. Secondly the Bass is not so overwhelming, I am Bass shy.

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #17,733 of 22,945
I'm a few hours in and what a sound!...I bough the 846s this morning, finally had some time to listen (very briefly) to them powered via my nuforce udac5. I think my jaw dropped. It is audio bliss...all frequencies well balanced (using blue filters so far) everything clear, staging unbelievable and that BASS what a F#$@ing kick!...I have a high end audio system at home but this is my first high end IEM as I seem to be spending more and more time near my laptop. I am in awe on the sound these beauties are pumping...I also have the 215s for everyday that I can knock around and even tough I love them there is a muddle in the sound signature and its very difficult to isolate the frequencies and thus the staging is not as precise - you can sense the high end signature of the 846. I also felt that the 846 are much more comfortable in my ears. The 215s being a tad lighter get more easily overpowered by the memory part of the cable making the cable exert its own demands....the 846s are perfect. They are of course soooo expensive and it all depends on one's budget of course but if you really appreciate music, crave it and live for it - don't hesitate - buy them!

In any case I love my combo so far but I was thinking that my next buy would be another dac/amp. From what I've read and seen I would be between the Chord Hugo or the Woo Audio WA7 firefly. I have read about how the Chord Mojo and Hugo pair amazingly with the 846s but I was wondering if anyone has heard them plugged to the Woo and what they experienced?

I love the Shure SE846s on the Questyle QP1R, especially after several hundred hours of burn in.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #17,737 of 22,945
  what tips are best to use for these headphones?

That is highly debatable and very subjective. Just know that there are noticeable, though small differences in sound with every tip. The material, the length, width, and shape of the bore, the fit and quality of the seal, all sorts of factors alter the sound in subtle ways. The best bet is to buy a couple of different kinds of tips and try each of them out. Go with the ones that you find most comfortable and best at sealing, and then start considering the sound adjustments.

Here are some of the usual suspects:
- SpinFits
- Westone Star
- JVC Spiral Dots
- Comply

I preferred Westones, at first. Then, I bought a new DAP and decided SpinFits were a better choice. Don't take that as a recommendation, so much as a warning against someone telling you there is a decisive winner. Too many varying factors for that to be the case.

That may sound daunting, but basically, if you get a good fit, different tips won't be adjusting the sound in very large ways, anyhow. Good luck and godspeed.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #17,740 of 22,945
For me they sound the best with spinfits, tighter bass imho.

I only use spinfit too and that's the Best for fit and sound

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #17,741 of 22,945
I agree : was liking Comply foams, but Spinfit are better for sound (very good bass and better treble). Only problems with Spinfit : isolation is not as good as Comply, and when you walk, you can hear some little "impact" when your feet hit the ground.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #17,742 of 22,945
How the hell do you remove the cable from the SE846? No matter what I do, the cable just doesn't come off...my last 846 got damaged as I put too much force into removing the cable and I damaged the connectors. Since receiving my replacement, I want to make sure that I don't damage the connectors but the damn cable just won't come off

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #17,743 of 22,945
  How the hell do you remove the cable from the SE846? No matter what I do, the cable just doesn't come off...my last 846 got damaged as I put too much force into removing the cable and I damaged the connectors. Since receiving my replacement, I want to make sure that I don't damage the connectors but the damn cable just won't come off

Pull it hard but make sure not to twist it while pulling. I'd use something to help grip onto it while pulling too. It does take a fair bit of force to get it out. Also, I'd recommend you clean the connector too while you have them removed. Use some alcohol and tissues or baby wipes to clean it. You can use a toothpick or something some enough to get into the MMCX connector. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #17,744 of 22,945
I generally hold the IEM horizontally and then simply pull on the connector in a straight motion. Clips right out. 

Never had to apply a significant amount of pressure which would damage the cable or IEM. 

The one thing I did have serious issues with was removing the standard foam ear tip, those were on there good!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back