Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #17,011 of 22,960

I will not recommend that you spend upwards of $500 until you are somewhat sure of what direction you're headed. That said, the fact that you're on this forum asking questions leads me to conclude that you do indeed want to improve the quality of the music you are hearing. After all, you've spent $1k on an IEM (only crazies do that, right?
wink_face.gif
). You do have to pay attention to the entire signal chain to realize the potential of the great IEM you own and the DAC/amp you're considering. First thing and it's fairly simple, upgrade your music collection to an uncompressed format. So instead of Apple Music, subscribe to Tidal or rip that CD collection gathering dust in the corner into FLAC. Doing that and getting a Mojo will improve your SE846.

am not regretting paying 1k on it at all actually :)

but 500$ on the mojo and i don't know if i will like it or not it's a risky move because the se846 i didn't buy it until i tried it with one of my friends

i was thinking about this AMP from sony i don't know if anyone tried it or should i just go for the mojo

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PHA1A-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00TIAYRDO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1484045766&sr=8-10&keywords=sony+amplifier

if it will only improve the bass because am kinda of basshead

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #17,012 of 22,960

but 500$ on the mojo and i don't know if i will like it or not it's a risky move because the se846 i didn't buy it until i tried it with one of my friends

i was thinking about this AMP from sony i don't know if anyone tried it or should i just go for the mojo

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PHA1A-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00TIAYRDO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1484045766&sr=8-10&keywords=sony+amplifier

I can vouch for the PHA-3 + 846. Balanced improves the bass, separation and clarity with completely black background.

Also the PHA-2A is available now...

https://www.amazon.com/SONY-Portable-headphone-amplifier-PHA-2A/dp/B01M01XEG9

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #17,013 of 22,960
Hi All

I have a Questyle QP1R DAP and Fidue Sirius A91 IEM's. Has anyone compared the Fidue's against the Shure SE846 in the same system, be it on the same DAP or desktop setup, giving a good comparison?

Regards

Darren

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #17,014 of 22,960

There are some places with a good return policy that sell Mojos. Needle Doctor is one. I don't recall what the return policies of TTVJ or Moon are. I can vouch for the Mojo sounding great with the 846. And it is powerful enough to drive full size cans. Not a lot of DAC/amps you can say that about. In most cases it is either/or due to noise floor vs. power issues that the Mojo doesn't have (namely, hiss with the 846 from amps that are able to drive cans that present a tough load). 

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #17,015 of 22,960
  Hi All

I have a Questyle QP1R DAP and Fidue Sirius A91 IEM's. Has anyone compared the Fidue's against the Shure SE846 in the same system, be it on the same DAP or desktop setup, giving a good comparison?

Regards

Darren

I'm using the QP1R with both Andromeda and 846's. Both sound great, but I prefer the Andro's. It's apples and oranges really and both IEM's have their merits. The cables I use work out very well for fine tuning. I can get more oomph in the bass with the Andro's, but I can't get the same sparkle out the the Shures. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #17,017 of 22,960
Hey guys,
I need your help. I just decided to exchange my SE846 with a th-900.
But since I have the asian version, the guy wanted to check if they're legit and sent the serial number to Shure-service.
The shure answered that the serial number is not of the usual version and could be made up by the seller itself.
now, everyone with the asian version, could you please share some photos of the S/N?
so that I could show the guy, that asian version S/N format is legit? THANKS
BTW, here is mine:

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #17,018 of 22,960
Hey guys,
I need your help. I just decided to exchange my SE846 with a th-900.
But since I have the asian version, the guy wanted to check if they're legit and sent the serial number to Shure-service.
The shure answered that the serial number is not of the usual version and could be made up by the seller itself.
now, everyone with the asian version, could you please share some photos of the S/N?
so that I could show the guy, that asian version S/N format is legit? THANKS
BTW, here is mine:

I have the asian version and I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow after school. But I have the bronze version and does it matter?

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #17,021 of 22,960
Have just purchased some 846's. Looking forward to comparing them to the Fidue A91.

Congrats, be sure to try the different filter configurations. Most popular choice on here is probably modified blues, with foam taken out of top end of tube.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #17,022 of 22,960

I can vouch for the PHA-3 + 846. Balanced improves the bass, separation and clarity with completely black background.

Also the PHA-2A is available now...

https://www.amazon.com/SONY-Portable-headphone-amplifier-PHA-2A/dp/B01M01XEG9

There are some places with a good return policy that sell Mojos. Needle Doctor is one. I don't recall what the return policies of TTVJ or Moon are. I can vouch for the Mojo sounding great with the 846. And it is powerful enough to drive full size cans. Not a lot of DAC/amps you can say that about. In most cases it is either/or due to noise floor vs. power issues that the Mojo doesn't have (namely, hiss with the 846 from amps that are able to drive cans that present a tough load). 

I have not heard the PHA-1A, but I also use the PHA-3 with the SE846 with balanced cables as well. I have found the sound quality from the PHA-3 to be superior to the Mojo and it also has a quieter noise floor. None of these DAC/amps have a completely black noise floor; not the Mojo, not the PHA-3. That said, the PHA-3 is much quieter than the Mojo. With the PHA-3 you'll have to be in very quiet environment and paying attention closely to hear the amplifier noise.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting that you were regretting the purchase. I just didn't want to be pushing you into a DAC/amp purchase if it wasn't for you. I was more wanting to point out the rest of the signal chain.

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #17,023 of 22,960
Congrats, be sure to try the different filter configurations. Most popular choice on here is probably modified blues, with foam taken out of top end of tube.

Hi

Thanks. I've read about mods you can do to the filters. Is there anywhere I can get an explanation of what to do and what it achieves?

If possible, I would purchase additional filters to mod, so I would always have a "Stock'" filter available.

I like a decent amount of bass, so the blake filter might be where I start.

Regards

Darren

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #17,024 of 22,960
Hi

Thanks. I've read about mods you can do to the filters. Is there anywhere I can get an explanation of what to do and what it achieves?

If possible, I would purchase additional filters to mod, so I would always have a "Stock'" filter available.

Regards

Darren

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802350/se846-filter-mod

You can buy the filters from Audio Sanctuary. £20 each though.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #17,025 of 22,960
  Hi

Regards

Darren

​If you want more bass than is recorded on the track, black may be the best option. But I would start with included neutral filter and see if you like it first.  846 sure goes down deep, modding blue allows extended treble so may not be what you want, particularly if you are used to a bass heavy sound. To me, foam tips produce too much bass, silicon (I prefer Westone) give a tighter bass sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back