Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #16,352 of 22,945
Oct 4, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #16,353 of 22,945
Yea I went back to the browns too. Don't think you can go wrong brown to red though. In fact, it's kinda like going from SS to tube amps. Just a preference thing. I still enjoy a slightly warmer thing to change it up, like spinning some vinyl or HD650's but with these Knowles there is that ability unlike any other component I have to slightly modify it's character. I really enjoyed the reds for a long time and then greens. The sibilance that bothered me before with the browns I don't notice as much and I always prefered the bass in the browns. Fun hobby and specially when it's that cheap. Yay for the other 98% ers.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #16,354 of 22,945
  Definitively, the brown dampers are the best on my ear.
sam

That's interesting. The browns were my favorites too and they now seem to be ahead in the polls :wink:
Although I agree with @Jamnperry's comment that brown, green and red are all very good and I could probably have lived happily ever after with any of them.  To my ears, all those three dampers give a surprising bump in SQ w.r.t. to any of the Shure stock filters.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #16,355 of 22,945
Hello,
I'm planning to buy a SE846 and I would like to know what DAP would be the best match with it.
I have tested the Cowon Plenue S and the Astell&Kern AK320 and the choice is difficult.
I think I prefer a little the Cowon's sound, but the build quality of the AK320 is better. Those differences are small. One important point is hiss, but I only tested in a store with a noticeable ambiant noise, so I can't be sure about hiss. My actual rig (Ipod and RSA Shadow amp) has hiss with the SE846, definetely more than the two DAPs tested.
Thanks for your advices about those DAPs and their match with the SE846.

Nicolas

I've found a perfect synergy for 846s using the Questyle QP1R. Slight hiss when no music, but best single DAP and an exciting sound. For maximum detail and resolution, I would suggest any reasonable DAP, I use iBasso DX90, connected to Chord Mojo or Hugo. To my ears, both of these sets ups will out perform an AK 240 or 320.

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #16,356 of 22,945
I've found a perfect synergy for 846s using the Questyle QP1R. Slight hiss when no music, but best single DAP and an exciting sound. For maximum detail and resolution, I would suggest any reasonable DAP, I use iBasso DX90, connected to Chord Mojo or Hugo. To my ears, both of these sets ups will out perform an AK 240 or 320.

Thanks for your advice.
I'm very sensitive to hiss, so I thought that QP1R would not be the best  for me. The Plenue S is maybe the best choice for me... I pref a compact solution, so no separate amp or dac. I should maybe try the new Sony WM1A or Z, but without Eu cap !

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #16,358 of 22,945

Thanks for your advice.
I'm very sensitive to hiss, so I thought that QP1R would not be the best  for me. The Plenue S is maybe the best choice for me... I pref a compact solution, so no separate amp or dac. I should maybe try the new Sony WM1A or Z, but without Eu cap !

I'm using the QP1R and don't hear any hiss what so ever, using the 846's or Andromeda which are even more sensitive. Throw pure OCC silver cable into the mix and I'm creating the perfect mix for hiss or simbilance...and I've got nothing. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #16,359 of 22,945
I must be the only one that is not a big fan of mojo.The sound is definitely hi fi,clarity,detail and timing and upgrade from smartphones but the overly smooth and laid back treble makes the overall sound boring and lacklustre.I will take ZX2/trrs any day of the week especially with se846,musicality,better detail,bigger soundstage,yeah  eagerly awaiting the new WMIZ/A,i suspect it's going to be a hit and very good synergy as se846 is with all sony daps.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #16,361 of 22,945
Anyone using a GeekOut V2 with the SE846? 

I know the V1 had hiss issues, but are they resolved?

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #16,362 of 22,945
More tip rolling musings:

The white filter and a normally installed set of Comply tips is a nice combination, the offsets work together perfectly.

I did, however, get a set of Westone Star tips (silicone) and hit the jackpot. To me, the red-bottomed tip with the white filter is the perfect combination of sound, comfort, and isolation. I also have the True-Fit foam tips to play around with - that will likely be my next experiment.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #16,363 of 22,945
Finally got my sensaphonics custom sleeves. Nothing comes close to the fit. They just fit perfectly, amd nothing--and I tried every tip imaginable--comes remotely close to these. Finally found my perfect combo. There's an intimacy factor that I couldn't get with any other tips, not to mention the excellent isolation and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back