Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #15,916 of 22,945
  The AudioQuest site says in their FAQ, "DragonFly is versatile enough to drive virtually any headphone on the market today, from impedances of 10ohm and higher."

This being a 9-ohm IEM, is that pushing it? 

Nice that the Red seems to push more power and so could be used for the Ultrasone's as well, but would the Black suffice?

"While all DragonFly models offer enough output to drive most headphones, DragonFly Black (1.2-volt output) comfortably drives most medium- to moderate-efficiency models and DragonFly Red (2.1-volt output) easily drives even the lowest-efficiency models."

Source: http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series-faq/#general

I have to set my volume pretty low on my Samsung S7 with the DFR. From what I've read, the Black is more than enough; note that users have mentioned that the DFB has a warmer signature compared to the DFR. That being said, I'll probably give the Mojo a go soon :D

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #15,917 of 22,945
If thats what you crave then i dont think the shure is for you. Look in to HD800.

Is HD800 a huge improvement over HD600 ?  What about theoretically comparing non-balanced HD800 with balanced HD600 (would a balanced upgrade of HD600 be more worthy than going to HD800) ?

I'm looking into multi-driver IEMs as alternative to wearing over-ear cans all the time. Otherwise I'm also happy with the Philips X2 Fidelio, except perhaps its semi-truck-over-your-ear-drum bass. :)

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #15,918 of 22,945
  err hello,

I just bought second hand se 846. I was using sony headphone before with my iPhone..

right now I was confused which DAP should I go..
AK300 or Sony ZX2 ?

or do you others have any other opinion ?

I'm listening to pop and edm..

Rewire your SE846 to 3.5 TRRS and then get the ZX2 for its balanced output.  No other single box solution in the market compares.

Not even my Mojo + VorzAmp Pure II sound as good as ZX2 balanced.  Same goes for the AK380 + AK Amp I've tried.  ZX2 + SE846 balanced has left my KSE1500 and Layla v.2 collecting dust =)

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #15,919 of 22,945
err hello,

I just bought second hand se 846. I was using sony headphone before with my iPhone..

AK300 or Sony ZX2 ?

For that price, if sound quality is main criteria, I would go Chord Mojo. But that means a stack. For less money DX90 and Fiio X5 I/ii pair well. Also depends if you want to stream? Best standalone DAP to my ears, after hearing a further 15 at weekends Canjam, including overpriced AKs, is the Questyle QP1R. Just read Hifi Choice (Uk mag) that says different league to AK 300 and others tested like Pioneer. But of course, people hear differently, and only sure way is hearing yourself.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #15,920 of 22,945
  err hello,

AK300 or Sony ZX2 ?

Great synergy with ZX2.Buy a trrs plug for ZX2 from a cable manufacturer.Funnily enough i have yet to see an ak300,ak320+se846 combo,so how it sounds is anyones guess.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #15,921 of 22,945
For that price, if sound quality is main criteria, I would go Chord Mojo. But that means a stack. For less money DX90 and Fiio X5 I/ii pair well. Also depends if you want to stream? Best standalone DAP to my ears, after hearing a further 15 at weekends Canjam, including overpriced AKs, is the Questyle QP1R. Just read Hifi Choice (Uk mag) that says different league to AK 300 and others tested like Pioneer. But of course, people hear differently, and only sure way is hearing yourself.

Don't agree with that.ZX2 +se846 with trrs and sound adjustment disabled is above chord mojo in sound quality,although mojo does have its strengths,the battery advantage of ZX2,the stand alone factor as well as the musicality make ZX2 a winner.I agree with QP1R being a great dap for thje money although a bit too clinical for my taste(15 min demo).

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #15,922 of 22,945
  Don't agree with that.ZX2 +se846 with trrs and sound adjustment disabled is above chord mojo in sound quality,although mojo does have its strengths,the battery advantage of ZX2,the stand alone factor as well as the musicality make ZX2 a winner.I agree with QP1R being a great dap for thje money although a bit too clinical for my taste(15 min demo).

All opinions, so don't agree with your fact! Heard the ZX2 and too soft for my liking, prefer excitement, cymbals sounding clinical like they do if you stand next to them, I do in my band!  Musicality to me is not a rounded off safe sound, but it may well be for you. Another poster likes Balanced but Chord point out Balanced Output only needed if deficiencies in DAP's single-ended output :wink:  Not saying who is correct! Thing is, there is no right or wrong, the OP asked for opinions, so this is not the thread for disagreeing with others views on favoured DAPs. People are free to put forward what they think are best options.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #15,923 of 22,945
You haven't heard ZX2 if you've never heard its balanced out.

Its too bad Sony doesn't market it, literally none of the ZX2 reviews even knew about its balanced out.  But once you utilize it with a TOTL IEM, nothing I've heard compares.  (no, not even Mojo paired with one of the best portable amps in the industry)

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #15,924 of 22,945
You haven't heard ZX2 if you've never heard its balanced out.

Its too bad Sony doesn't market it, literally none of the ZX2 reviews even knew about its balanced out.  But once you utilize it with a TOTL IEM, nothing I've heard compares.  (no, not even Mojo paired with one of the best portable amps in the industry)
Funnily, I would say it depends on what you want from your audio...

For definition, I would say DFR / mojo are ahead of the ZX2, but tonality, you pick your poison and drink deeply... The ZX2 is quite a tonally balanced player, but it's relative lack of drive is still a massive jab in the ribs, add into that that with IEMs as sensitive as the 846 you can hear hiss (which is why on my audio journey I then went to the ARM2, whose noise for is much better)

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #15,926 of 22,945
I'm torn between hd800 and se846

From memory I find the se846 clearer and more detailed in thr bass region. But the imaging on hd800 is great... Does anyone else find thr se846 more intimate forward and clearer?

Well I don't personally find the SE846 to be clearer but I definitely feel it is more intimate and forward than the HD800 IMO.

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #15,927 of 22,945
I'm torn between hd800 and se846

From memory I find the se846 clearer and more detailed in thr bass region. But the imaging on hd800 is great... Does anyone else find thr se846 more intimate forward and clearer?

For 800S as in my case, home listening use on my system hands down 800S wins. Out and about ok 846.. They both provide balanced sound to me with good mids.

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #15,929 of 22,945
What has an even more forward sound and intimate sound than se846, in full sized headphones and IEMs?

Well I wouldn't know since I don't know that many forward sounding headphones since I mainly use open backed headphones. For IEMs I would probably have to say the SE846 tops my list but I haven't heard any CIEMs yet so I can't be too certain. The SR009 paired with a tube amp (I'm not sure which one it was but it was by Woo Audio), was real nice and intimate but that's a crazy expensive set up and not one I would get anytime soon. HE560 paired with the WA8 made a really nice intimate sound too.

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #15,930 of 22,945
For 800S as in my case, home listening use on my system hands down 800S wins. Out and about ok 846.. They both provide balanced sound to me with good mids.

But you've also got $$$$ upstream feeding the 800S. Mere mortals can't hope to have such source equipment connected to their headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back