Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #15,736 of 22,945
  Portably speaking, thats why I use my 128 GiG phone, and i don't use my cell for biz or really much other than camera, vid, tunes, apps and data. so i use vamp verza as my portable small direct to lightening dac amp, primarily use the larger hugo with leather case and cck for most portable listening tho. I wouldn't use the phone or CCK for any desktop amp. You gotta go with premium usb with midi control from iMac to quality dac amp combo to hear all you are missing otherwise.

Two questions - what does MIDI have to do with any of this? (I'm a musician and studio engineer...)

What is a "premium USB"? Are you saying "normal" USB doesn't get my data into my external hard drives accurately enough? (You know, those 1's and zeros that make up the music data stream...)

These both sound like some marketing hype that got to ya. Sorry about that.

Anyway, please ignore and return to discussing the beloved SE846! :)

Terry

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #15,737 of 22,945

Portably speaking, thats why I use my 128 GiG phone, and i don't use my cell for biz or really much other than camera, vid, tunes, apps and data. so i use vamp verza as my portable small direct to lightening dac amp, primarily use the larger hugo with leather case and cck for most portable listening tho. I wouldn't use the phone or CCK for any desktop amp. You gotta go with premium usb with midi control from iMac to quality dac amp combo to hear all you are missing otherwise.

Two questions - what does MIDI have to do with any of this? (I'm a musician and studio engineer...)

What is a "premium USB"? Are you saying "normal" USB doesn't get my data into my external hard drives accurately enough? (You know, those 1's and zeros that make up the music data stream...)

These both sound like some marketing hype that got to ya. Sorry about that.

Anyway, please ignore and return to discussing the beloved SE846! :)

Terry

MIDI controller allows one to choose 16 bit 48 fr to 32 bit 786 fr in any combo your ears like.

I'm not talking USB boxes that are all the rage on mojo or Hugo or shiit threads, that I'm not calling snake oil but just don't get the benefits it causes to packet flow of 1 and 0. I'm talking quality USB to galvanized quality USB ports. In combo with midi selection produces musicality that is preferable to my ears as opposed to cck and other imposed lower quality transfers.
Now to refrain once more I'm cool with 846 cck through Hugo default 16 48 but even with non galvanized ports the Hugo produces better sound through USB and midi control at 384 32 bit and the Hugo TT with galvanized HD port another level of imaging. Quality dac amps is self evident
These are not put downs but observations. Granted 846 only can take this imaging so far, over ears cans take up the rest.
Back to tips, filters, lubes, and cables

Jul 29, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #15,738 of 22,945
MIDI controller allows one to choose 16 bit 48 fr to 32 bit 786 fr in any combo your ears like.

I'm not talking USB boxes that are all the rage on mojo or Hugo or shiit threads, that I'm not calling snake oil but just don't get the benefits it causes to packet flow of 1 and 0. I'm talking quality USB to galvanized quality USB ports. In combo with midi selection produces musicality that is preferable to my ears as opposed to cck and other imposed lower quality transfers.
Now to refrain once more I'm cool with 846 cck through Hugo default 16 48 but even with non galvanized ports the Hugo produces better sound through USB and midi control at 384 32 bit and the Hugo TT with galvanized had port another level of imaging. Quality dac amps is self evident
These are not put downs but observations. Granted 846 only can take this imaging so far, over ears cans take up the rest.

Oh, I didn't realize that these output devices recognized any MIDI commands at all. That's cool if they do! Which ones do that? (MIDI is the "Musical Instrument Digital Interface" and does not involve any audio signals at all - only control signals, just in case readers don't know what we're talking about. Think player-piano rolls on steroids.)

I agree you want good quality USB cables (meaning, not $6 super-cheap ones... but rather ones that won't break). But I can guarantee to you that one is under placebo effect if you hear any difference in USB cables (which might not be what you meant - yes, digital transfer rocks!). USB cables cannot corrupt the digital signal flow if they are working at all. If they could, they would be worthless as a standard for digital transfer.

Not to change the subject but... I got a Shozy Alien that arrived last week, and its synergy with the SE846 is quite remarkable. Nice low-impedance output perfect for the Shure's. I'm using it mainly to listen to full-album rips in wav format from my CD's (via Foobar). It only does 44.1 at either 16 or 24-bits. I find 44.1/16 to be just fine. The Alien has a really nice sound! This solves my portability dilemma, as I did not like the impedance mismatch of the iPod Nano's I have into the 846 (4th and 7th gen), and wanted light yet powerful with the low-impedance output that the 846 is made for. Very happy with it!

Terry

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #15,739 of 22,945

Now to refrain once more I'm cool with 846 cck through Hugo default 16 48 but even with non galvanized ports the Hugo produces better sound through USB and midi control at 384 32 bit and the Hugo TT with galvanized HD port another level of imaging. Quality dac amps is self evident

I'm well versed on MIDI (been using it since the mid 80s) but I'm not following you.  Are you referring to the DAC being configurable via MIDI?  Which one?  What MIDI program are you using to control it?

I've had professional audio converters (by MOTU, Apogee, etc) that have software applications that allows you to configure the bit rate and frequency, but it wasn't using MIDI.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #15,740 of 22,945

I'm well versed on MIDI (been using it since the mid 80s) but I'm not following you.  Are you referring to the DAC being configurable via MIDI?  Which one?  What MIDI program are you using to control it?

I've had professional audio converters (by MOTU, Apogee, etc) that have software applications that allows you to configure the bit rate and frequency, but it wasn't using MIDI.

Im referring to mac midi controller. Every imac has one, pick your source pick your bit rate and fr. Its a keyboard icon symbol thingy

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #15,743 of 22,945
Im referring to mac midi controller. Every imac has one, pick your source pick your bit rate and fr. Its a keyboard icon symbol thingy

Also known as "Audio MIDI Setup", although that should probably be "Audio / MIDI Setup". FYI, setting the bit depth / sample rate / etc of your audio output device has nothing to do with MIDI.

Well looks like i created a stir concerning audio midi controller provided by apple.
Im so glad we strsightened this out, now i can carry on

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #15,744 of 22,945
Ok. I've listened to mine couple of hours. How they did this? I mean how it's possible? Really. It's really really unexpectable. I hate Sennheiser because the sound is heavily engineered down to last details. I like westone because they really tried to make the best sound possible. But this one! They are something else. It has a unique character I never seen anything come close to it not even on ears. The sound is fun in serious songs it's serious at some places dark when you need them to be bright when you don't expect ... . I think this thing can not made by humans. My only regret is why I didn't get them sooner.

Jul 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #15,745 of 22,945
Ok. I've listened to mine couple of hours. How they did this? I mean how it's possible? Really. It's really really unexpectable. I hate Sennheiser because the sound is heavily engineered down to last details. I like westone because they really tried to make the best sound possible. But this one! They are something else. It has a unique character I never seen anything come close to it not even on ears. The sound is fun in serious songs it's serious at some places dark when you need them to be bright when you don't expect ... . I think this thing can not made by humans. My only regret is why I didn't get them sooner.

Great first review :) Clearly they are good then? Ha.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #15,747 of 22,945

Fashioned by Elves.

Jul 30, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #15,749 of 22,945
Or you could consider going into a completely stand alone DAP/DAC for just a bit more than the price of a Mojo, and need nothing else as an outboard piece of gear. I've never asked this question before, but is the reason that so many people prefer to just use their existing iPhone as their source, due to their library primarily being iTunes? 

I regularly upgrade my iPhone, generally yearly. This leaves me with an extra iPhone that I "hand down" or repurpose. Currently, I use the iPhone 6 128 GB as the transport for my main travel rig (paired with HA-2 usually, Skyn or Sony PHA-3 occasionally).

I do not use iTunes music or even the iTunes Player app on the iPhone. All my music is mostly 16/44.1 FLAC ripped from CDs and some HD FLAC files; all of it is played using the Korg iAudioGate, which is capable of playing and outputting all the way to 32/384 and DSD 11.2.

Since the iPhone is dedicated for this purpose, I use two-sided tape to secure it to the amp/DAC and use a short (~ 4 inch) right-angled Lightning cable for the HA-2 and a short (~ 3.5 inch) right-angled Lightning to micro USB cable with built-in CCK capabilities for the PHA-3. It keeps everything super compact, pocketable (in the case of the HA-2), and travel friendly.
As a bonus, I have a full blown iPhone with all its other capabilities and easy to use interface with me as a backup.

Jul 30, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #15,750 of 22,945
1050 pages is nothing!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back