Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #14,926 of 22,945
Not only was it great to listen to some great audio equipment and Shure headphones, but I was finally able to meet up with one of the integral staff members of Shure at AXPONA yesterday: Matt Engstrom, Category Director, Wired Products.

Matt is a down-to-earth and knowledgeable person, and it was simply inspiring to have a talk about all areas audio and talk about our families as well. One of many highlights of the show for me, that is for certain.

Cheers my friend!

(Imitating the Jack Vang pose)

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #14,927 of 22,945
The easiest way to use larger bore tips is to just cut the white triple flanges that came with the se846, they didn't sound good to me anyway. After that place the piece on the bore, now any large bore will fit over that.

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #14,928 of 22,945
Hi guys! Here's the update on my SE846's cracked shell...

I contacted Shure Asia and they proceeded to contact GrandTech (Singapore Distributor) to authorize a replacement earbud. So I went down to GrandTech and they said they received the principal's email and will do the replacement according. However, I had to leave my SE846 with them for 5 working days. As I had my proof of purchase, I did not have to pay a single cent. I'm currently waiting for them to contact me for collection. Hooray! :D  

No luck for me :frowning2: I'm under the impression that the warranty is 2 years but to my disappointment, only one year for Shure Asia. So I'm 2 months out and Shure Asia is not helping. Even though I notice the issue early, my assumption delayed my actions (my bad).

So, for those in Asia, please note the shorter warranty period of only 1 year.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #14,929 of 22,945
Hi. Does anyone have recommendations for a new cable for my SE846s? I had no luck with google.
I need one with android mic+remote. Color should be white or clear and I prefer L-shaped or really small plug. My budget is $50-$150. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #14,930 of 22,945
Hi. Does anyone have recommendations for a new cable for my SE846s? I had no luck with google.
I need one with android mic+remote. Color should be white or clear and I prefer L-shaped or really small plug. My budget is $50-$150. Thanks!

i knew a filipino friend who can do that for you. a custom mmcx. oh but the mic, im not sure

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #14,931 of 22,945
  Guys, im between two dilemma to combo with my se846...

1 = Silver Dragon Shure V1 ( moon audio ) 
> this cable is a hybrid
The Silver Dragon IEM is a coaxial design using a 99.99998% UP-OCC Stranded Silver 26AWG center conductor for the positive leg. The center conductor uses the same Kevlar reinforcing as the other Dragon cables. It is wrapped concentrically by a 99.99998% UP-OCC silver plated single crystallized UP-OCC pure copper stranded 26AWG gauge conductor with 7N purity 99.99998%. 

2 = Silver Litz ( from Ted - headphonelounge.com )
> this cable is a full silver litz
24awg occ Silver Litz

* Some guys told me that, the ( Silver Dragon V1 ) using on se846, made his more balanced, not so much bright
* As the silver litz, some told me that, is more bright

- Each are on my ( cost to spend on cable ) = US$ 220
- The silver dragon ( is black and dont will get yellow parts with the time )
- The silver litz ( is a custom and beaultiful wire silver ) - i just have afraid to yellow ( after some times and with somes sun UV when i out on street )

# SO GUYS, WHO HERE HAVE USING THIS CABLES ON SE846 OR OTHER IEMS AND CAN GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACKS ABOUT IT...?

1 = The Silver Litz ( Will yellow? - i saw some picture os silver litz go yellow )
2 = The silver litz is more bright as silver dragon?
3 = How is the quality sound and... have some ( difference where can i see the more bright to the not so much bright )? some example ( audio to have ideia )?

1. Depending on the material of the jacket and degree of UV exposure. I have a Toxic SW that is turning yellow, yet a Silver Poison that looks mint and silvery-white. Also, can you now get them in black/pewter rather than clear if you are concern with color change?

2. Yes for my ears, comparing brightness with what I have, Twag v3 > DHC SP (litz) > Toxic SP > Toxic SW(litz) > Silver Dragon > Cadence Silver Series

3. With your current cable, what is lacking and what do you REALLY seek to improve? I think once you know, you will have your answer to whether to have bright/dark sounding cable.

Also, whilst I subscribe to the cable-makes-a-difference camp, try with different tips first and find that optimum insertion depth. The difference is far greater than any cable change IMHO. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #14,932 of 22,945
Just tried the SE846 with black nozzle today. I'm really impressed with the sound of it. I think it sounds very close to the Fitear MH334/MH335DW, can anyone confirm whether they get the same impression? The bass is real good for a balanced armature earphones. Fit wise its a little too big for my ears, the Westone series of earphones seems to fit better for me.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #14,933 of 22,945
I don't know whats wrong but after 1 hour+ listening i get massive headaches from 846 by using white filters witch i like the most, blue sounds too boring for me and black is to warm maybe it could be ear tips problem what you guys think about it? I tried all of them it seems yellow foam or whatever its called feels the best for me. I get these earphones about a week ago and now thinking about returning them :/ though i like how it sounds.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #14,934 of 22,945
@PerfectCircle

You could try the "blue filter mod" if it is related to the white filters' treble. I haven't tried that mod myself as I prefer the white filters the most and therefore didn't see a need to even try, but the sound should just sit right between the blue and white filters from what I've read. Just search this thread for "blue filter mod" and you'll find plenty to read.

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #14,935 of 22,945
  I don't know whats wrong but after 1 hour+ listening i get massive headaches from 846 by using white filters witch i like the most, blue sounds too boring for me and black is to warm maybe it could be ear tips problem what you guys think about it? I tried all of them it seems yellow foam or whatever its called feels the best for me. I get these earphones about a week ago and now thinking about returning them :/ though i like how it sounds.

There are a ton of different tips you can try that change the sound slightly. Some of the more popular ones are the Westone Star and TruFit tips and also the SpinFits. The headache may be from the pressure of the foam expanding and not the sound so much. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #14,936 of 22,945

There are a ton of different tips you can try that change the sound slightly. Some of the more popular ones are the Westone Star and TruFit tips and also the SpinFits. The headache may be from the pressure of the foam expanding and not the sound so much. 

Yea mby it could be from foam, but i get that feel from all of the ear tips though i didn't tried star tips just all the stock ones from se 846 accessories box  

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #14,937 of 22,945
  Yea mby it could be from foam, but i get that feel from all of the ear tips though i didn't tried star tips just all the stock ones from se 846 accessories box  

I couldn't get a single tip that comes with the SE846's to fit or feel comfortable. I would expand my tip collection if I were you. Another tip worth trying are the Comply tips. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #14,938 of 22,945
I kinda liked bass on 535 more. 

I listen to a lot of electronic music, and on 535 bass would "go away" once mids come into play, but here that is not the case. 

I suppose this is better in terms of fidelity, but i feel like i was much closer to mids with 535, here bass is standing in between kinda, and i dont feel as close to mids. 

Listening to 535 was closest to listening music on a big pa, i hope 846 will tone down the bass one they burn in? 

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #14,939 of 22,945

I listen to a lot of electronic music, and on 535 bass would "go away" once mids come into play, but here that is not the case. 

I suppose this is better in terms of fidelity, but i feel like i was much closer to mids with 535, here bass is standing in between kinda, and i dont feel as close to mids. 

Listening to 535 was closest to listening music on a big pa, i hope 846 will tone down the bass one they burn in? 

A quality dac amp like Hugo will snap the bass and give you detailed Mids. DHC cables will further provide detail and sound stage. Just an FYI I don't find the bass reaches more than it should. But I have never listened to 535 so respect the opinion.

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #14,940 of 22,945

Don't think the bass on the SE846 will tone down with burn-in -- usually the bass will increase with burn in.  It's a fact that the bass on the SE846 is more pronounced and reverberant than bass on the earlier model Shures as a result of the much touted "subwoofer".  Frankly, imo the bass can be a bit too much at times, depending on the music -  sort of reminds me of my LCD-X which i sold mainly for that reason. 

I suppose you could say that it "bleeds" a bit into the mids -- if that bothers you than maybe the SE846 is not for you. But I would give it some time until you get used to the sound, you might find, as many have done here, that the bass grows on you and you end up preferring it. In fact, I would think that since you like electronic music the SE846 with its solid bass and overall improved clarity would be far preferable to the 535.  So, give it some time until you adjust and then decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back