Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #14,881 of 22,960
I'm a service/customer service manager by trade, and was absolutely astounded by the warranty departments resolution to the worn Nozzle Interface Gaskets. I still can't believe how well they responded to my claim.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #14,883 of 22,960
I think the blue SE846s look stunning.  There's almost a faint glimmer of purple underneath.  It doesn't photograph well, but if I didn't already have the clear ones I would buy the blue color.  Bronze also looked nice, and black was just a good, deep black, but nothing terribly special.  My only gripe would be that I think the blue ones should ship with a clear cable, or a white cable, not a black cable, but that's just a tiny aesthetic preference.  

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #14,884 of 22,960
(User who asked about Q1PR + SE846)

It's actually a pretty nice combo -- not sure if it's worth it's asking price (but this is my first DAP) It sounds better than out of my NFB-15, has a cleaner, more upfront sound with clearer details. It sounded pretty damn good during comparison, like I got my moneys worth. I may keep my 846's because of it. If it had been ~600 dollars I think it'd be a good deal. Comparing with my I-Phone 6, the sound has a major improvement in presentation and is very clean, though I wish it had that something extra I can't describe without sounding corny ( the cleanest OOMPFH )- something with a speaker feel to it.

I'm just not sure it's worth the asking price though, as I was expecting MUCH more than what I paid for.

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #14,885 of 22,960
After listening to 846 for years now, with Hugo, I can really say, I don't see the sq as a bass monster anymore. The 846 is just a clean full range with good mid detail iem. Now it may be not as neutral as hd800S, but tunes sound to me as they should. Granted I'm years in and don't remember the change from bowers and Wilkins ( too much mid) and ear buds, but to me its just doing what it's supposed to do. Portray a sophisticated detail of the full spectrum within the parameters of an iem.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #14,886 of 22,960
tried blue mod a few months back, did not find any discernible difference. got the hd600 yesterday and found se846 a bit muddy with blue filters. tried blue mod once again and i am impressed. guess the se846 is truly a masterpiece or i am getting the hang of power in belief. maybe having a good quality reference made the difference.

Apr 15, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #14,887 of 22,960
I'm actually confused why people mod the filter. It sounds weird to me both for the sound quality and the reasoning behind it. Just my 2 cents

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #14,888 of 22,960
I'm actually confused why people mod the filter. It sounds weird to me both for the sound quality and the reasoning behind it. Just my 2 cents

I think it's a combination of reasons from people's ears and preferences, to the type of dac amp, to types and quality of cables. I too found the blue mod not to my liking, given my chain and ears.
Possibly also it shows that there is a predisposition to get more Mids among some users that find the white filters lacking depth.

Apr 15, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #14,889 of 22,960

How so?Clarity is better,treble is livelier comparatively,you need that if you want to compete with the other $1000 iems and the blue is the most musical and the one more people will use at default.White filter comes without a foam and it is more clear and detailed than blue stock but also brighter so it's up to individual taste and partning equipment.Nothing strange about removing the foam especially since one of the three filters also comes without a foam.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #14,890 of 22,960
Personally the difference it makes isn't massive but it's enough to make for me to prefer the blues without filters. It might sound stupid but the difference between unfiltered black and unfiltered blue is enough for my ears. 

Blue without filters doesn't have the sibilance in the 4-8khz region that the whites do while the white does. It lets more of the upper sparkle through and keeps the sound crisp yet not sibilant. 

Apr 15, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #14,891 of 22,960
kind of weird question but its my personality:
i keep hearing (on my left earphone) whenever i push it into my ear deeply or whenever i shake my head, i keep hearing an beep, high pitched tone ; twittering, chirping or call it however you would like.
some electric beep.. a small one. but still an tone..
does anybody think it is normal thing?
was tested without music playing of course. just with the cable connected to the source. no music playing.

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #14,893 of 22,960
  Ok guys...
What is the best cable over $150 do use on se846?

- im was think to go ( moon audio silver dragon cable V1 shure ) 
so... exist anothers over $150 that is good too?

Thanks

Be careful with going to silver cables - they may change the sound to the bright side.  Before you buy, ask Drew (at Moon Audio) his opinion.  IMO the silver will brighten-up the sound, if it's too bright for your taste that's not easy to change back...

When I bought my SE846 (from a fellow Head-Fi'er) they came with a Forza Claire Hybrid cable.  It is quite nice.  I never heard the SE846 with the stock cables, as the Forza were already attached, but I suspect the Forza are quite a neutral cable - at least that's how the SE846 sound to me.

Good luck,
RCBinTN

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #14,894 of 22,960

Be careful with going to silver cables - they may change the sound to the bright side.  Before you buy, ask Drew (at Moon Audio) his opinion.  IMO the silver will brighten-up the sound, if it's too bright for your taste that's not easy to change back...

When I bought my SE846 (from a fellow Head-Fi'er) they came with a Forza Claire Hybrid cable.  It is quite nice.  I never heard the SE846 with the stock cables, as the Forza were already attached, but I suspect the Forza are quite a neutral cable - at least that's how the SE846 sound to me.

Good luck,
RCBinTN

Thanks bro, yeah... im think over the silver dragon cable... 
i heard some reviews talk about nice combo ( silver dragon + se846 ) and how better sound is with the silver dragon over the stock cable,
i'll send him a email about it

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #14,895 of 22,960

Good luck,
RCBinTN

Also, i was think over the LinumBax but... i wanna some nice cable the made the se846 be happy to play alot of songs and give him
the power to be very clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back