Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #14,641 of 22,945
Tried the spinfits today after using the complys some days. And absolutly little or No bass.But i have a little question.When i unmodded the blue filter,i placed the foam Just at the end (outside/where the tips go on)on the filter. But cant remember if it should be all inside at the bottom???

Are you saying you have tried the SpinFits with the unmodded blue filters and have very little or no bass response?

If so... You can use the Shure Olives and cut out the wax guard for a better alternative... 

It will give you treble extension and give you a good bass response due to the isolation... with lush mids...

Im using the Chord Mojo as my DAC...

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #14,642 of 22,945
My camera really can't do the close macro shots I'd need The filter info and links are in the extensive thread for the filter mod for the SE535 here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers 

And here's the thread I started with my method.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/802350/se846-filter-mod

Can you post some pictures of your modified filter... 

Have you got any good website links from where you buy the Knowles Dampers from?...

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #14,643 of 22,945
Are you saying you have tried the SpinFits with the unmodded blue filters and have very little or no bass response?

If so... You can use the Shure Olives and cut out the wax guard for a better alternative... 

It will give you treble extension and give you a good bass response due to the isolation... with lush mids...

Im using the Chord Mojo as my DAC...

Tnx for the tips :) will defently check it out. The spinfits gives me No bass.If i press the spinfits longer inside my ear, they give some bass.but they wont stay there if i get my hands of them.Maybe i have wrong size for my ears?

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #14,644 of 22,945
Tnx for the tips :) will defently check it out. The spinfits gives me No bass.If i press the spinfits longer inside my ear, they give some bass.but they wont stay there if i get my hands of them.Maybe i have wrong size for my ears?

Don't you worry yourself... i'm in the same boat as you... for sure...

Spinfits may be great for others...

However most certainly dont agree with me...

I've used Medium / Large sized CP800 Spinfits...

I think i've finally quit searching for next high with the SE846...

(Stock SE846 cable from Shure)

Medium Shure Olives... Is the KEY for deep bass...

(Due to the isolation from the tight seal)

Modded Blue Filters... Is the KEY for clear highs / mids...

(Due to removing all of the foamies with a needle)

Wax Guard Removal Mod... Is the KEY for crystal clear treble / reverb...

(Due to using a blade then tweezers to pick out the remaining guard)

Chord Mojo... Is the ultimate DAC to bring every KEY mentioned to life

(Due to 27 years of experience in high-performance audio)

Thankyou for reading...

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #14,645 of 22,945
Don't you worry yourself... i'm in the same boat as you... for sure...

Spinfits may be great for others...

However most certainly dont agree with me...

I've used Medium / Large sized CP800 Spinfits...

I think i've finally quit searching for next high with the SE846...

(Stock SE846 cable from Shure)

Medium Shure Olives... Is the KEY for deep bass...

(Due to the isolation from the tight seal)

Modded Blue Filters... Is the KEY for clear highs / mids...

(Due to removing all of the foamies with a needle)

Wax Guard Removal Mod... Is the KEY for crystal clear treble / reverb...

(Due to using a blade then tweezers to pick out the remaining guard)

Chord Mojo... Is the ultimate DAC to bring every KEY mentioned to life

(Due to 27 years of experience in high-performance audio)

Thankyou for reading...

This is quite spot on! I'm on a very similar setting except for the modded blues (using stock blues) and the medium silicone stock tips. Oh, and minus the Mojo :)

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #14,646 of 22,945
I modified the filter to use the Knowles type last week and I'm never going back to the standard filters. Really worth the effort. I posted earlier how I did it. I only had a white pair on hand but IMO way better than stock blue with/with out foam and stock white. I will probably order more types of the Knowles. If anyone wants to try it, willing to combine and save on their ridiculous shipping charges. 

I wish I knew what you were tslking about, I would love to try

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #14,648 of 22,945

I modified the filter to use the Knowles type last week and I'm never going back to the standard filters. Really worth the effort. I posted earlier how I did it. I only had a white pair on hand but IMO way better than stock blue with/with out foam and stock white. I will probably order more types of the Knowles. If anyone wants to try it, willing to combine and save on their ridiculous shipping charges. 

I wish I knew what you were tslking about, I would love to try

x2

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #14,649 of 22,945

Try the westone startips, they got good bass.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #14,650 of 22,945
Tnx for the tips
smily_headphones1.gif
will defently check it out. The spinfits gives me No bass.If i press the spinfits longer inside my ear, they give some bass.but they wont stay there if i get my hands of them.Maybe i have wrong size for my ears?

What size are you currently using?  Try going up or down in size based on which size you are using.  Medium seems to be the best fit for me, but zero sizes-fit-all tips are a great fit for me compared to the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (SCS).

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #14,651 of 22,945
New player, only a month old. Following the latest comments in the thread now that others have gotten one. Awesome!
Waiting on my litz cable to show up after sending it out for some work. No big deal, I have stock cables to use.

Waiting to get my earbuds back from SHURE after sending them in for gaskets while still under warranty.  What!!!! 
rolleyes.gif

I refuse to break out the stock buds that came with my Note 5...lol

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #14,652 of 22,945
Are there any full sized headphones which would be good fit for 846? I prefer closed ones and I use bright filter on the 846... I was thinking of LCD-XC (have heard them myself), but they cost a lot.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #14,653 of 22,945
  Are there any full sized headphones which would be good fit for 846? I prefer closed ones and I use bright filter on the 846... I was thinking of LCD-XC (have heard them myself), but they cost a lot.

I would say the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Mahogany compliments the Shure SE846 rather well.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #14,654 of 22,945

Th900 but its bass is bigger and faster

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #14,655 of 22,945

Th900 but its bass is bigger and faster

I wouldn't say the TH-900 as much since there is more treble/siblance than the TH-X00, as the SE846 has primarily been heard as a rolled-off treble IEM.  With the SCS, it negates that known fact (to most people's ears/posts using sizes-fit-all tips) somewhat to my ears.  Also, the TH-X00 costs considerably less (would be better fit for the OP's budget), since the OP mentioned the LCD-XC "cost a lot".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back