Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #14,266 of 22,954
I guess you should be specific as to which brand and model of headphone you recomend and at what cost as a comparison. concerning the apple ear bud, i really disagree except that its cheap
The Shure are a better phone and every iembi had are better then them, but after using the ibiud while I was without my 846 I realize that it's probably 2.5 time better then the ibud at most and I remember when I moved up from my ue900 to the Shure it was at that moment I realized I don't really need these even tho the Shure outperformes the ue in almost everything. It's been so long sense I heard cheap iem that I forgot what they sounded like until the past few months. It's true that the biggest difference in performance comes from the transition from the lower tier to the med tier but mid to hi it's not much a difference and hi to super hi tiers is even less then that. And I'm not saying all of this from memory. I have both with me and a jh Angie and my statement still stands. Those item are better but the whole diminishing return thing really hit home. Headphones is a different story I have no experience with them so I can't comment on that

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #14,267 of 22,954
I can't really recommend any iems I probably only own one iem in every price bracket or tier with the exception to the angi and se846. Those are the only two I could compare and maybe the Weston's and tripled I 10 but that's to narrow of a selection to recommend anything

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #14,268 of 22,954
All I know is my rigs are worth every penny and I can't go back. :tongue:

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #14,271 of 22,954
KSE1500 on general dont WOW. Its just pure sound. So weather you have the mind blown or not factor depends on if you like that style of signature or not haha.

On general I feel the 846 is more exciting especially with a good amplifier. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #14,273 of 22,954
Most rigs aren't worth the money if you hear how the $320 Sennheiser HD 650 sounds on a good system. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #14,274 of 22,954
KSE1500 on general dont WOW. Its just pure sound. So weather you have the mind blown or not factor depends on if you like that style of signature or not haha.

On general I feel the 846 is more exciting especially with a good amplifier. 

I had a chance to demo KSE, it is very picky with its source. But it has loads of resolution, stage and clarity. It doesn't have as much bass as 846 but there's EQ.

846 with Hugo is amazing.

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #14,275 of 22,954
Many may not agree with me but I came to the conclusion that, you really don't need $1000 headphones, even $500. Honestly a $40 iPhone earphone with high bit rate file is not to far off from expensive headphones, maybe this is the law of diminishing Return, furthermore I go to a lot of concerts and big venue and a good pair of headphones sounds better then the real thing with the exception being live music at a small venue or if you go to an orchestra l

Your analogy is like saying you do not need paying double for a 911 Turbo S since it's merely a second or so faster than a Carrera?  But as in a lots of other hobby/sports/competition, people paying the most bucks for the very last bit of enhancement/performance, diminishing returns and rational thinking doesn't play any role in these scenario..

And by saying the iPhone earphone with high bit rate file is not too far off is really a bit extreme??  You can't possibly compare the iPhone earphone to 846, it's night and day difference for me already going from 535 to 846, I can't stand more than 1 song with the standard iPhone earphone personally! 

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #14,277 of 22,954
I feel like my rig is decent, but definitely not worth the $, it just doesn't wow, no point in lying to myself

There needs to be more people like you

I always get the feeling that some people rate expensive stuff 5 stars because they are subconsciously trying to suppress the fact that it isn't worth the money. some reviews may be legit, some may not, who knows. Just my thoughts though, I always take reviews with a bucket of salt.

Kudos for speaking the troof.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #14,278 of 22,954
Hey all, long time no see!

Well how odd is this?? It would seem as though the last time I had my filters changed (the guys at Jaben Audio Melbourne usually do it for me due to my poor eyesight) I ended up having a blue filter inserted in one phone and a black in the other.

I thought something was awry! 'Course I have ended up with three blues and one of my preferred blacks.

So I've used this as a convenient excuse to go filterless. Hopefully my iPhone 6S plus is up to the task. Though looking for anyone wanting to do a swapsie - blue(s) for blacks?

But somewhat more disconsertingly the rubber ring at the base of each headphone is wearing thin. I have only two months warranty left on them hence once I have finished the transcribing job ahead of me (interviewing a handful of Australian craft brewers on the subject of water saving initiatives) they will go back for servicing - for the third time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back