Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #14,146 of 22,945
What other tips should I use next?

Did you insert tips like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Zc5meSooI

I personally found the longer the foam tips are, the more sound is blocked (muffled) after a week or two. In terms of foam, I found the shure (small for me) foams works best, i.e they don't go soft so fast.

In terms of silicon, part from going custom. I found the new spin fit CP800 the best (I use the medium size) by a large margin in terms of a combination of comfort, isolation and sound.

I use the shure foam when isolation is required, otherwise I use the spin fit for sound (only when inserted right with good seal) and much longer lasting.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #14,147 of 22,945
I got some high quality pure 6n silver cable from a reputable friend/shop from Taiwan. The cable has low impedance and the sound quality is improved quite drastically. I think if you guys get a chance, try to audition as many different cables as possible coz maybe its due to 846s sensitivity the sound improvement is actually quite drastic O.o

I second that emotion, from not so much difference to wow, cable dependant, not all are the same. I might change the metaphore in my case from drastic to surprising, I didn't expect it, not hat the change was that massive.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #14,148 of 22,945
Would it be fair to describe the 846s as " a bit forward in the higher frequencies "? I've always read reports of "rolled off treble",which suits me fine,I'm sensitive to treble.My perception of the 846's with the blue filters,and more so the black,
was of a full and dynamic delivery with a detailed but softened treble.The comment was from a Shure retailer,hence my
question.-Thanks.

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #14,149 of 22,945
I second that emotion, from not so much difference to wow, cable dependant, not all are the same. I might change the metaphore in my case from drastic to surprising, I didn't expect it, not hat the change was that massive.

I think my previous cable was brining down the sq:frowning2: it was a silver hybrid cable, but the impedance matching was too high. My 846 sounded thick & lacked clarity. It also Requires a slightly higher volume when it went into my phone. Initially I was waiting to get some decent cables when I return to nyc. Luckily my bro in Taiwan showed me the way...

The sq has really improved. It's noticable even with spotify and google play^.^

I truely appreciate the differences.

Oh, and terrible earthquake in Taiwan. I hope the survivors will be ok... Sucks when this happens right before a huge holiday:frowning2:

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #14,150 of 22,945
is the shure SE846 better then the Sennheiser HD700 ?

I have both and the shure has better sounds in my opionion... I enjoy heearing music more with the shure

sennheiser HD700 is pretty neutral.

is shure better then the sennehiser HD700 ?

whats the best hearing device on the market right now does not matter if earbuds / headphones

Feb 6, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #14,151 of 22,945
  is the shure SE846 better then the Sennheiser HD700 ?

I have both and the shure has better sounds in my opionion... I enjoy heearing music more with the shure

sennheiser HD700 is pretty neutral.

is shure better then the sennehiser HD700 ?

whats the best hearing device on the market right now does not matter if earbuds / headphones

Orpheus 2 probably. The best I have heard with my own ears so far is the HD 800 S.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #14,152 of 22,945
is there another better / even earbud like the SE846 WIHTOUT over ear cables that is in and out of your ear fast and 
more convenient?

cause these cables keep on bending back and hang over my ear...

I just need the best convenient earbud on the market cause I mainly use them for working out in the gym...
and maybe at the computer incase they are better then sennheiser HD700

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #14,153 of 22,945
There is no best set-up, gadgets, devices on the market...even the Orpheus 2 may not be for every body. Just like me, I love music, but I absolutely do not like Hard-metal rock or Hip-hop....

The best gears and devices for one taste is determined based on one discovery of his/her own taste and interests....just like food.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #14,155 of 22,945
Question for those with blue filter nodded, what cable are you using? Reason I am asking is that I have been using a silver cable and with the blue filter modded, I find the sound a tad edgy and less refine. I had to change back to stock blue.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #14,156 of 22,945
Does anyone know if you can buy replacement filters from anywhere? I'd like to do the filter mod but if the filters are inexpensive it would be easier to have one stock and one modded where I can compare easily. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #14,157 of 22,945
Does anyone know if you can buy replacement filters from anywhere? I'd like to do the filter mod but if the filters are inexpensive it would be easier to have one stock and one modded where I can compare easily. 

You can call Shure and have them send you some replacement nozzle inserts/filters. When I purchased mine from them, they were $17 plus tax and shipping. The number is posted several times in this thread; you can search the thread for my post(s) where I state the number to call. ProTip: It may be much easier to find the post(s) if you search for a specific word that I used that included the number ("exorbitant").

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #14,158 of 22,945
Question for those with blue filter nodded, what cable are you using? Reason I am asking is that I have been using a silver cable and with the blue filter modded, I find the sound a tad edgy and less refine. I had to change back to stock blue.

I'm using single Crystal 6n silver cable and I got the modded blue filter in my 846s. Honestly, no edginess to my ears. But I've heard that copper might be better for taming treble energy. Less clarity and details though...

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #14,160 of 22,945
  anyone noticed a decrease in sound quality after you used the shure se 846 for around 6 hours?

the bass and subwoofer decreased a lot since the first hearing?

LOL.That's just your ears getting used to the sound.Did you actually time it to be 6 hours precisely or just guessing here.Welcome to headfi and sorry for your wallet and all but seriously don't post things like that unless you're joking. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back