Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #12,632 of 22,945
Thank you, well my amp + Dac has a ohm greater then 8, I think it's 15ohms, so it wouldn't be good to use the se846 with my schiit amp and dac?

You'll get some HF roll-off.  You could correct this with EQ if your player has it.  I notice quite a difference between the signature of the iPhone 6+ vs. the Fiio X5ii.  The Fiio X5ii is just brighter than the iPhone 6+ with the SE846s.  Interestingly, the Fiio X5ii is a bit warmer than the iPhone 6+ with my Westone W3s.

I find that IEMs and amps make far more difference to the sound quality than does the rip bitrate once you're above about 160 kbs (AAC).  I recently purchased both the Westone W30s and UM Pro 30s and have found that both have toned down the treble tremendously, so much so that I'm sending them both back.  I suspect that the audiophile community's quest to quell sibilance may be making the manufactures tune down the HF.  That's too bad.  If the signal is there in the recording, it should be reproduced by the transducers.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #12,633 of 22,945
It might effect the sound later on, on my last pair the logo area, thebpart that connect the drivers to the sound port shifted to the left and right and it was noticeable, maybe that was caused by over fighting. That silicon pice might be use to remove some stress or absorb stress when you tighten the screw. My new pair does not shirt at all To the left or right as of right now

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #12,635 of 22,945
Se846+ZX2 probably the best portable sound i 've heard yet and haven't ordered the semi balanced trrs cable yet.It is truly stunning,all the strengths of se846 are amplified,the engineers of ZX2 must've had se846 when they did their tuning of the dap.I am still not at the 200h mark yet so the sound can only get better
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #12,639 of 22,945
@Caruryn: Wait - the N6 has got even less hiss than the DX90? Wow. Do you know anything about its output impedance?

Another important spec worth mentioning is the HO and LO output performance where HO is rated at 220mW+220mW w/32ohm load and super low output impedance of 0.26ohm, and LO rated at 1.7V of output power.  I had no issues driving any of my IEMs or open/closed back full size headphones, and even in low gain setting had a volume at only 30%.  Even with low sensitivity headphones I never exceeded 50% of volume level.  With high sensitivity headphones, I didn't hear any hissing and found background to be solid black.  From Twister6
 review of cayin N6.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-n6-pcm1792a-chip-dsd-lossless-music-player/reviews/12489

Sep 18, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #12,640 of 22,945
Hi everyone!  I've just bought a Chord Hugo to use with my iPhone 6 and Shure SE530s.  That setup sounds great but I would like a little more low end and have read that the SE846s would deliver that.  Does anyone know if the 846s would be a good match with the iPhone and Hugo; I'm finding it a little difficult to find somewhere in or around London where I can get a demonstration.  Thanks.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #12,645 of 22,945
I've said on this thread way before i bought the ZX2,that se846 and sonys are match made in heaven,the hi hats,bass drum,guitar strings the whole percussion shibang is something to behold.The sonys are just tuned for the shure character and signature.Look for the new sony  ZX100,bound to be good with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back