Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #12,318 of 22,945
Many say connectors are dirty as if Peopke lay them on the ground. Stop pulling the earpiece, stop changing cables every week, dont pull ear piece off from the cable.

I've taken the cables off at most 5 times since i bought them.

rawrster
Are these original cables you've tried it on?

I have a different cable than stock

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #12,319 of 22,945
Now that I have had my 846's for about 48 hours....

Of all possible things....my biggest gripe about them is the damned memory sleeves on the cables at the earpiece end.    I don't know why these are such a problem, my Fidue A83 cables (also with memory sleeves) were never a problem. These are about to drive me nuts.  Every time I have to re-seat them, they knock the phones out of my ears and I have to start all over again from scratch.

....sT

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #12,320 of 22,945
  Now that I have had my 846's for about 48 hours....

Of all possible things....my biggest gripe about them is the damned memory sleeves on the cables at the earpiece end.    I don't know why these are such a problem, my Fidue A83 cables (also with memory sleeves) were never a problem. These are about to drive me nuts.  Every time I have to re-seat them, they knock the phones out of my ears and I have to start all over again from scratch.

....sT

Check out "Cable Woes and Solution:" in my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves (SCS) review (on signature and profile) for detailed instructions regarding how to remove the memory wire and sheath. 

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #12,321 of 22,945
Yep, most of us did some surgery on ours and removed the wire.

I also popped the Comply foams off in favor of the Shure yellows. I forgot that they leave the bass rather noticeably reduced, and given that my tastes have begun to drift more toward "neutral" this was a VERY welcome alteration. 

I swear the coolest thing about the 8s is that by fiddling with filters/tips/etc you can shape them in into whatever you want.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #12,322 of 22,945
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also popped the Comply foams off in favor of the Shure yellows. I forgot that they leave the bass rather noticeably reduced, and given that my tastes have begun to drift more toward "neutral" this was a VERY welcome alteration. 

I actually prefer silicone. But my problem is that I've terribly narrow window between too small to get a seal and that's too large, it hurts.  I dislike foamy as their lifespan seems to be pretty short.  Not to mention that they change the sound

As for the Shure tips, the largest olive worked best...but still became uncomfortable within 30-45 mins.  I'm playing with the Westone tip kit right now....same problem, no silicone that is right.  So...I'm playing with the W/O foams.

...sT

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #12,323 of 22,945
Comply can knock off some of the top end.  Silicon can make things a bit bassy-er.  I finally went with the Snesaphonics, no more tip playing.  Note that Radio Shack makes some decent tips that you might try.  

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #12,325 of 22,945

I actually prefer silicone. But my problem is that I've terribly narrow window between too small to get a seal and that's too large, it hurts.  I dislike foamy as their lifespan seems to be pretty short.  Not to mention that they change the sound

As for the Shure tips, the largest olive worked best...but still became uncomfortable within 30-45 mins.  I'm playing with the Westone tip kit right now....same problem, no silicone that is right.  So...I'm playing with the W/O foams.

...sT

I'm one of those odd lucky ducky guys who can easily wear the medium tips of everything. The westone red-barrel silicones are easily the best "fit" of everything to me, but they make the bass boomier than I like (it's hyperapparent with spoken vocals at a low pitch, I discovered the oddity when editing a video I'd made). So the yellow foams tamp it down juuuuust right.

Aug 9, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #12,326 of 22,945
The older and less fertile man starts to detest bass and desire flat audio?

Which is quite easy to achieve with the Shure SE846. Take the blue filter and with an EQ remove the bass. If you use an iPhone, the HF player (free) is descent to use. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #12,327 of 22,945

Take the blue filter and with an EQ remove the bass.

Complete Blasphemy!!! I've used two output options with my X5. LO or CO and have never even considered using the EQ with the HO. The X5 sounds fine straight out of the HO but I prefer to use the LO with the E12A. It's just my preference if I'm listening with my 8's. At least the latest posts support what I believed to be true after following this thread for almost a year. I'm disappointed that the folks that damned the SCS's haven't chimed in to explain what measures they tried to correct what was displeasing about the sleeves right out of the gate.
After modding the blue filters I like them better than stock, but still prefer the stock whites because of the incredible mids and highs they create. I've laid in the dark listening to live tracks from Incubus and Tori Amos in utter disbelief of what I was hearing. I'm hoping that the SCS will only enhance that experience, and intend on having that conversation with the audiologist when I meet with him this week.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #12,328 of 22,945
The sleeves are great.  Wonderful seal, for me they cleaned up the bass a bit and delivered slightly more treble.  Though that might be a combo of the seal and the material.  

The white filters remove 2.5 of what the blues deliver.  the blacks add 2.5 of what the blues deliver.  I found that a modded blue or just a complete removal of the filter altogether was best for me.  The mids sounded a bit less rich with the whites to my ears.  

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #12,329 of 22,945
Originally Posted by kino lau /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm disappointed that the folks that damned the SCS's haven't chimed in to explain what measures they tried to correct what was displeasing about the sleeves right out of the gate.

I did!  Check this link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749859/review-chi-town-chi-sound-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-is-a-slice-of-the-windy-city/15#post_11699431

As for changes to the sound, as long as there's no issue with the bore holes blocking the nozzles, I find the sound very similar to that of properly prepared and inserted foam tips. But to be honest, this is tough to AB properly, on acount of the time needed to remove the IEMs, change tips/shells, and then properly re-insert the IEMs. There are a couple of issues to be aware of with foam: 1) If inserted properly, they give a fantastic seal, which is great for the bass. 2) If the foam tips ever end up partially blocking the gap between the nozzle opening and your eardrum, you'll get a treble roll-off (this can easily happen with foam and sometimes you won't even notice without doing a frequency sweep - things might just sound a tad warmer). The SCS give a consistent and comfortable fit.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #12,330 of 22,945
Anyone paired the SE846 with the new JDS Labs "The Element"? Boasts an output impedance of 0.1 Ω
May be too early for impressions but thoughts on how the Element compares with the O2+ODAC are most appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back