Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #11,746 of 22,954
  Thanks for your thoughts guys. I am really close to pulling the trigger on the ZX2. Does anyone know if you can install and use android wear on it (ZX2)? Would be nice to be able to change tracks etc with my Moto 360 when on the move.Hardly essential but would be nice. Also, can you get a mic cable, so that I can take calls with the 846s? If so, what is the "best" one to get? One thing I have noticed is that they respond really nicely to EQ tweaks. I haver always hated EQ presets on apps like Spotify and iTunes etc as I always just thought most of them were unlistenable but with the 846s some of them actually add to the sound and make a nice difference and are actually listenable ( I still prefer it off in most cases) Is there anyone that owns the ZX2 and is using it with the 846s that can attest to whether or not they will pair well? 

Unless you want to go ak the se846 is a very good match with sony daps as far as musicality,full sounding and deep bass go,having demoed the a15 and owning the old f805.Don't be too concerned about impedance mismatches or hissing problems by some posts,the end result is very good.Technical side aside i prefer listening to se846 with the old but still kicking f805 rather the dx90 which i don't consider the best pair(good detail but thin sounding,weak bass).

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #11,747 of 22,954
You'll get used to it. At first I couldn't put them in, now I can in less than a second per ear. The key is to have it rotated forward and try and make the first thing just getting the ear canal part to fit into your ear. Once that's in at all it's easy to rotate back and everything falls into place.

Thanks - getting the hang of it now .

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #11,748 of 22,954
Since SE846 has a very low input impedance of 9 ohms. It requires the source of output impedance to be less than 2 ohms. So your ZX3 should have the impedance of less than 2 ohms. For all smartphones their volume adjustment is not minute enough to get the best SQ out of SE846. I would get a dedicated DAP rather than a smartphone.

To a point.  My Pono does not match up impedance-wise with my 846 and still sounds great.  But I have read a number of posts here about smartphones having more issues due to impedance (mostly hiss or painful treble).  Fiio DAPs are <1 so should be fine, and there are a number of reasonable price points for its products.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #11,749 of 22,954
i bought mine full price new "Ships and sold by Amazon". What i got was an obvious reseal. since Shure uses glue on their box it makes it easy to tell. wires were obvious re-tied. initially, i figured i was just going to live with it. but then i looked at the used section and thought that if i'm going to deal with an open box, i might as well have gotten it from Amazon Warehouse Deals instead and saved almost 20% from the price of new.

before returning it in the box, i couldn't resist a test listen. the two things that immediately stood out at me are the details and the bass. the bass is so tight and very punchy. it is never boomy. i didn't buy this IEM for the bass but the bass from the SE846 really do sound like bass coming from an actual subwoofer.

i know it's almost cliche when people get new speakers or headphones and they say that they are able to hear things in their songs that they never heard or noticed before. i now know exactly what this means. the SE846 is so detailed that i was able to hear and notice very subtle things like the very slight wet slurp sound the singer's lips make when she is about to open her mouth in one of the songs i listened to thousands of times in the past and never noticed it before. i'm quite sure that if a sound was picked up in recording no matter how slight, the SE846 will be able to reproduce it.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #11,750 of 22,954
  i bought mine full price new "Ships and sold by Amazon". What i got was an obvious reseal. since Shure uses glue on their box it makes it easy to tell. wires were obvious re-tied. initially, i figured i was just going to live with it. but then i looked at the used section and thought that if i'm going to deal with an open box, i might as well have gotten it from Amazon Warehouse Deals instead and saved almost 20% from the price of new.

before returning it in the box, i couldn't resist a test listen. the two things that immediately stood out at me are the details and the bass. the bass is so tight and very punchy. it is never boomy. i didn't buy this IEM for the bass but the bass from the SE846 really do sound like bass coming from an actual subwoofer.

i know it's almost cliche when people get new speakers or headphones and they say that they are able to hear things in their songs that they never heard or noticed before. i now know exactly what this means. the SE846 is so detailed that i was able to hear and notice very subtle things like the very slight wet slurp sound the singer's lips make when she is about to open her mouth in one of the songs i listened to thousands of times in the past and never noticed it before. i'm quite sure that if a sound was picked up in recording no matter how slight, the SE846 will be able to reproduce it.

Sucks they sent you a used pair. If you complain to amazon they would probably next day the new ones to you because they messed up. Amazon wouldnt be likely to shrug off a customer whos spending upwards of 1k.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #11,751 of 22,954
actually, i chose the option "Item not as described" and it didn't give me an option to exchange. it only had one option which was to refund. i did refund and re-ordered again that should be here on Friday. it's effectively a cross-ship.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #11,753 of 22,954
Evening
I just recieved my 846s today.
The few minutes I was able to listen was, well not impressive.
Very low bass and I'm not a bass person.
Maybe the tips but I was very disappointed.
Hope this changes for a iem that's nearly $1000

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #11,754 of 22,954
Evening

It's the tips. You need a good seal. The 846 is a bass monster with sub bass like no other iem. Try different tips until you get a good seal and you will be happy.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #11,755 of 22,954
Evening

Chodi is correct try different tips. After almost two years with the 8s I have never found a better set of tips than the Westones. Here is a hyperlink from Amazon to the complete Westone sample pack for a paltry $15. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DD2BZRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1435201154&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=westone+star+tips&dpPl=1&dpID=31evn4vTyrL&ref=plSrch
I like the Star Tips (silicone) but the pack includes the full set of True Fit (foam) as well. The Westone tips utilize the same 2.5mm nozzle as Shure so they fit perfectly.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #11,756 of 22,954
Ear Tips are a very personal thing. What works for one person may not work for another. We all have different ears. I had to experiment with each of my iem's until I found the best seal and comfort with each of one. That means just because one brand works on your sure 8's it may not work for you on another iem. Has to do with the fit of each individual iem and your ears. You can download the free Sensaphonics test and then you will easily know if you are getting the right seal.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/test

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #11,757 of 22,954
Evening

User error.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #11,758 of 22,954
Evening

As others have said it's most likely to bad seal.

On the other hand, it could also be due to two other things: source and wrong expectations.
  1. Where have you plugged them in?
  2. Their bass emphasis starts fairly low. There isn't such thing as emphasised upper bass and ground tone area with the SE846, just like most other IEMs with bass emphasis have got (such as your IE 80 which is a very bass-heavy IEM and has got more energy in the upper bass and ground tone area).

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #11,759 of 22,954
  If you CALL Amazon, they are VERY nice.  That's partly why I use them so much (I'm a Prime member now).  

i already placed the order but i went ahead and called Amazon customer service just now. wow, very friendly and concerned. i have been a Prime member for a few years in a row now but this is the first time i have actually talked to someone. the reason i called is so they can make a note on my re-order to make sure that the mistake will not happen again. we're going to Asia this weekend for a few weeks and i really want to take these earphones on the plane with me!

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #11,760 of 22,954
Evening

Like others said, if the bass is bad you've got a serious seal issue. The bass should be damn near overwhelming at first. The first time I put mine in I seriously thought I was going to end up returning them thanks to how potent it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back