Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #11,686 of 22,954
ya that is good. I have the red thingies wire stuff in the large photo. Thats how much of an engineering guy i am, any rate two year no problemo

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #11,687 of 22,954
Inconsistencies are inconsistencies. Especially when it effects the sound. And for $1000 dollar headphones that's unacceptable.

I wouldn't have found the solder or even the wire if the left side functioned correctly.

Long time shure customer. Owning several of their microphones I've never had a problem with any of there stuff except for the 846, given the premium I paid because of the faith in their brand I expect the best.

Good on them tho for helping me out.

The Rep did not confirm that the solder was a defect or not. But he did seem to think that it was possible the wire or solder could have caused issue.

Frankly I believe the solder wouldn't be a problem because I've seen several 846 with this and several members have said their items have this too but reported no problem.

I would be more suspect of the wire if anything. I couldn't find any pictures of the 846 left side or right with the wire in that place. But who knows.

A few things.

1. If you're going to say "for a $____ whatever this is unacceptable" then lord help you if you ever buy a car, house, laptop, big screen TV, or get a medical procedure done. There is absolutely zero price point at which suddenly there is a 0% failure rate. 

2. Do not fall into the trap of "because I had a problem it means all of them have problems."

3. If the solder doesn't matter (and it might not) then the fact that you found it is irrelevant. It sounded funny so you sent it back.

There have actually been studies showing that more expensive things tend to be more failure prone because their design and construction is far more particular and delicate. Cheap headphones can get their parts rattled and jostled all over the place because there's a ton of empty space in there and the wiring doesn't need to be carefully placed. Something like the SE846 has absolutely no spare room, nothing can shift or be where it shouldn't. It's like how cheap phones can fall out of helicopters and be fine while iPhones die when they drop out of your pocket.

And of course it's not as intricate as the Mars Rover, but that's like saying the Atlantic Ocean isn't big because the Pacific Ocean is twice its size. These things are still miracles of technology and the fact that they're commercially available is insane.

I'm not saying that problems don't exist, I'm saying maybe we all need to stop a moment and not start waving the pitchforks of "BOOO SHURE YOU MADE A SHODDY PRODUCT" without taking a moment to consider what the heck is actually going on here.

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #11,688 of 22,954
A few things.

1. If you're going to say "for a $____ whatever this is unacceptable" then lord help you if you ever buy a car, house, laptop, big screen TV, or get a medical procedure done. There is absolutely zero price point at which suddenly there is a 0% failure rate. 

2. Do not fall into the trap of "because I had a problem it means all of them have problems."

3. If the solder doesn't matter (and it might not) then the fact that you found it is irrelevant. It sounded funny so you sent it back.

There have actually been studies showing that more expensive things tend to be more failure prone because their design and construction is far more particular and delicate. Cheap headphones can get their parts rattled and jostled all over the place because there's a ton of empty space in there and the wiring doesn't need to be carefully placed. Something like the SE846 has absolutely no spare room, nothing can shift or be where it shouldn't. It's like how cheap phones can fall out of helicopters and be fine while iPhones die when they drop out of your pocket.

And of course it's not as intricate as the Mars Rover, but that's like saying the Atlantic Ocean isn't big because the Pacific Ocean is twice its size. These things are still miracles of technology and the fact that they're commercially available is insane.

I'm not saying that problems don't exist, I'm saying maybe we all need to stop a moment and not start waving the pitchforks of "BOOO SHURE YOU MADE A SHODDY PRODUCT" without taking a moment to consider what the heck is actually going on here.

1. Sometimes people pay a premium price for an item for quality. Of most headphones $500 is a lot yet alone $1000. Of course there are more expensive ones. But the average consumer would not pay that much.

What are our reasons for buying the se846? Most people would say things like sound quality and build quality.

2. I never said it did. As of noticing the solder joint the first time I suspected mine was a one off as I had never heard of it before.

3. Correct. It was only speculation. Which we determined to be likely not the cause of my issue. But it is possible it could be, or just a manufacture inconsistency that doesn't matter.

I think you are right we were getting a little pitch fork ish but it still doesn't hurt to speculate and observe potential faults or even just design/manufacturing characteristics.

I would actually have to argue that my 846 can take far more of a beating than apple headphones or many budget cheapo phones. Maybe its because I subconsciously care about them more given the price tag, but I also know they have lasted far longer than any other headphone I use in my daily life/pocket life.

The se846 seem more involved than a lot of other IEMs but I wouldn't go as far to say the crossover circuitry is so advance that it would be wrong to speculate about it. That stuff is pretty standard it seems.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #11,689 of 22,954
Well, we are not trying to do any pitchforking. wat we are concern if its suppose to be bridged or not. it may not be an issue to the earphone. i just want to know if its suppose to be that way as its not everyday i can drop $1000 on an earphone. it took me a year of review and hunting and auditioning to get the SE846 so i was hoping it could last me for years to come. same as my DX50. it took me half a year to get it. 

so at the end of the day i'm not justifying my right as a consumer or anything. we are just trying to find out if it is supposed to be built this way.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #11,691 of 22,954
1. Sometimes people pay a premium price for an item for quality. Of most headphones $500 is a lot yet alone $1000. Of course there are more expensive ones. But the average consumer would not pay that much.

You missed my point. I was saying that eeeeeevery product has a failure rate >0%. That's why warranties exist. Saying that because you spent $XXX on something it means it should have no chance of defects is silly. Obviously no one wants to get a lemon and if the failure rate seems oddly high (see: Xbox 360) then that's a good reason to steer clear, but with ANY product there's a risk. 

I'm just trying to get everyone to relax here. Shure has an AWESOME warranty on these bad boys. I didn't even have a receipt on mine and they let me return them, no questions asked. So, yes, it totally sucks that anyone would spend a full grand on headphones and we all really would hope it works, but take heart. It's not common, and they'll take care of it. :) 

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #11,692 of 22,954

You missed my point. I was saying that eeeeeevery product has a failure rate >0%. That's why warranties exist. Saying that because you spent $XXX on something it means it should have no chance of defects is silly. Obviously no one wants to get a lemon and if the failure rate seems oddly high (see: Xbox 360) then that's a good reason to steer clear, but with ANY product there's a risk. 

I'm just trying to get everyone to relax here. Shure has an AWESOME warranty on these bad boys. I didn't even have a receipt on mine and they let me return them, no questions asked. So, yes, it totally sucks that anyone would spend a full grand on headphones and we all really would hope it works, but take heart. It's not common, and they'll take care of it. :) 

I can dig that. I see what you mean.

The warranty was pretty good but I was annoyed that the first time it took them two weeks to get them back to me :frowning2:
This time around seems much better tho.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #11,694 of 22,954
i'm thinking of trying a pair of these. my one and only concern is my perceived issue with the connector. is there really an issue with cutting out of audio? it seems like a big issue with the SE215.

Depends on who you speak to. The thread goes into detail about connector issues and non-issues, cleaning the connectors with DeOxit, using different washers/rings to create tighter connections, etcetera. Personally, I only had slight connection issues with the Estron Linum BaX MMCX cable, review, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/719062/review-estron-linum-bax-new-iem-cable-for-a-new-age/105#post_10637444. I have had no connection issues with my stock SE846 cable as well as Ted Allen's Silver Litz cable, review, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread/225#post_10747626. His connectors are tighter than stock, and he sent me washers as well if I wanted an even tighter connection.

Either way, you shouldn't have connector issues.

Good luck and welcome to the club if you decide to purchase the SE846!

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #11,695 of 22,954
  i'm thinking of trying a pair of these. my one and only concern is my perceived issue with the connector. is there really an issue with cutting out of audio? it seems like a big issue with the SE215.

This was where my initial issue came up with my first set of Shure IEMs. Whats nice is Shure will actually send you a cleaning kit for the connectors, if you ask, that works very well. You might have to do this every 6 months to a year. Its really not that terrible.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #11,696 of 22,954
Two years, no problemo, no cleaning no nothing just sonic bliss.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #11,698 of 22,954
No problems here, and I walk with mine every day (so they get plenty of exposure to movement/light/heat/sweat).  
me either. .only had these bad boys for about two months though and no problems. I also had two pairs of the se535.the 535 Ltd. And the 315.I only had a slight problem with cut out sound once on a pair of se535 .I cleaned the connection on both sides and never had a problem after that.☺

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #11,699 of 22,954
Hello all.

Completely new this thread and would really appreciate a bit of help.

I apologise if these questions have been asked a few times before.

I'm very close to getting these for use at work, from the this site:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=23700&setcurrency=gbp&gclid=CO39jPe2psYCFUvItAodFngPkg

Am I right in saying there are two different versions of this IEM,  like a grado sr80 and sr80e for example? Given the release date and where we're out now is it safe to say I would get the most improved version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back