Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #10,396 of 22,945
  Google is your friend.

I don't think that the filters were meant to be changed frequently. I've only changed 3 times and the larger of the 2 rubber gaskets are showing wear on both left and right earpieces. However, I'm positive Shure will just mail you replacements if you need them. Shure service and support was at least 50% of the reason why I went with their 8s instead of other makers. Westone is also high on my list.

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #10,397 of 22,945
I just received my Shure se846 and all I can say is AWESOME! I bought a pair of Westone 4R awhile ago and 30 minutes later I took it out and left it in the drawer since then. I was affraid that it's another waste of money. But man! This set is well worth the money.

I usually have no problem getting about 70% of what I paid for an IEM reselling it on Amazon.  I'm not a hoarder - if it's not being used, it gets sold or junked.  Why does anyone need a bunch of different IEMs?  Buy the best and use it.

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #10,399 of 22,945
  Anyone able to offer some kind of DAC advise with these headphones. I've got a budget of sub £300 ($500) - suggestions?

The Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 works wonders with them.

---

I decided to go along with someone's suggestion a month or so ago regarding using an impedance adapter with the SE846. I have to say I'm quite disappointed. Instead of making it get a much larger soundstage, I found that the soundstage struck and clarify was compromised as well. Overall, I'm not impressed, but for $9, I don't really see myself returning it to where I got it from (postage to Hong Kong from the US would cost way more than $9 lol).

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #10,400 of 22,945
  Anyone able to offer some kind of DAC advise with these headphones. I've got a budget of sub £300 ($500) - suggestions?

I heard the Ifi micro idsd pairs with them really well.  Unfortunately, after buying the se846 I'm broke, so can't speak for it myself yet :p

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #10,401 of 22,945

I decided to go along with someone's suggestion a month or so ago regarding using an impedance adapter with the SE846. I have to say I'm quite disappointed. Instead of making it get a much larger soundstage, I found that the soundstage struck and clarify was compromised as well. Overall, I'm not impressed, but for $9, I don't really see myself returning it to where I got it from (postage to Hong Kong from the US would cost way more than $9 lol).

That might've been me 
triportsad.gif

Hooked up to my DAC/amp, I do agree that SQ takes a bit of a hit.  But no where as much as the attenuator included in the se846 box.  I actually like this impedance adapter when I listen directly out of my phone's headphone jack.  For some reason I get positive results out of the phone and negative results out of the DAC.  (I have a Nexus 6)

Since then I've also purchased the Ifi Attenuator.  I wouldn't be a surprise if you haven't heard of it.  Ifi hasn't made it a production product yet.  They made a prototype and gave it out to certain people/companies.  There's a thread about it. They claim to use a "special" kind of resistor that barely touches the FR.  And it works for me.  I've done lots of back and forth with my Mk2 and can't notice a difference with the SQ.  Only that I don't hear the hiss anymore :D

So how to obtain it?  That was the hard part for me.  I emailed Ifi directly, and heard nothing back.  When I Google'd it, I saw the product page at Music Direct (if I remember correctly) and placed an order.  But then they told me they didn't have any anymore and took the page down.  However, they were kind enough to refer me to Avatar Acoustics, which I quickly contacted and they said they had a limited quantity.

So you can hit them up and try.  But bear in mind they're not as cheap as the impedance adapter.  There's a -12db and -24db attenuator, running $20 individually or $35 for both.  I got both since I wasn't sure what impact they would have.

Hope this helps!

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #10,402 of 22,945
I got that $9 impedance adapter off Ebay and it's really bad. I don't think it has anything to do with the theory I think the part is just very low quality. I tossed it. Wasn't worth sending it back for $9.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #10,403 of 22,945
One of my black spacers fell off during a filter change. Had no effect on SQ. Didn't bother replacing. As, they will probably fall off again. Unless, you don't ever change the filters.

Reminds me of the time a family friend convinced me to change the clutch plate in my front wheel drive car instead of taking it in.

It took us two full work days, and at the end we discovered a big beefy bolt that we somehow missed putting back in the car.

LOL, the car seemed to run OK without that bolt, and I sold the car before it became a problem. Yikes!

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #10,404 of 22,945
One of the perils of getting old[er] has bitten me over the past 24hrs...

Started getting distortion at certain frequencies on my left driver, started to panic when swapping cables (sides) and the distortion stayed on the same side - turns out it was an errant ear hair causing it...

Grr!!

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #10,405 of 22,945
Anyone tried Logitech UE 900 cables with this? Both are MMCX so it should be ok... Logitech seems to be selling the black stock cable for 20 euros, blue one with inline controls for 30 making it extremely good value compared to any custom ones. I´ve also looked into Westone EPIC cables, but they seem very expensive at 70-80 euros (for the MMCX connector ones) plus it looks like you have to cut off some of the rubber in the connectors for them to work with the SE846.

Oh and I started my quest of getting back into desktop audio, but this time it will be IEM based :) Just ordered a Fiio E12A and an ODAC/O2 with unity gain.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #10,408 of 22,945
slightly unrelated but what makes a bigger impact driver count or diver size, i was looking at my se846 and notice the drivers are big compared to other iem i had

Depends immensely. There are other parts of the equation that need to be considered as well regarding overall differences in sound signatures, not just the number of drivers or how large they are. What does "bigger impact" mean? Leaner sound? Fatter sound? Clearer perception of certain frequencies? I personally like to listen to the IEM myself and come to the conclusion that something sounds great regardless if it is a 2 driver BA, hybrid BA and DD, or 12 driver IEM, such as the A12, Roxanne and Layla. The type of driver plays a huge role as well, as some are in configurations like micro drivers and some have DD, both changing the overall sound signature. Then you have to figure out if you like the sound or not, regardless of the driver configurations.

The 4 driver SE846 holds its own against higher driver models, but some of the higher driver models sound more coherent and refined to me compared to the SE846.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #10,409 of 22,945
Anyone tried Logitech UE 900 cables with this? Both are MMCX so it should be ok...

The UE900/SE846 cables are indeed interchangeable.  Using the UE900 blue cables w/the SE846 as I speak.  

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #10,410 of 22,945
  I agree for me also the white filter was way too bright. I tried the black filter and I can see where that might please the basshead heavy rock fans. In my case the blue filter are perfect. Once you get a good seal with some tips that are comfortable enough  is enough. 

I'm back on the white filter, but I"m already thinking of going back to the blue filter. It's way brighter than my Sennheiser HD800 which quite surprises me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back