Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #9,916 of 22,945
Yes sorry, to be clear it is only bright relative to the Earsonics which has a very romantic bass/mids ss which I really like, but these are certainly far more balanced. I think they sound great out of Hugo. Can't imagine wanting them to be brighter though , but maybe that will change as my ears adjust...

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #9,917 of 22,945
What's the diffrence between the se535 and se846?

I'm saving up for the se846 but Us there a big diffrence?
I mainly listen to rock and indie rock

I've gone from 535 to 846 and I find the difference significant. The key areas I notice are bass, where the 846 has a real depth Iwasn't getting from the 535 plus the separation and clarity. 

I modded the 535 and ending up preferring the grey (bright) dampers and was not surprised that I favoured the bright filters on the 846.

I've noticed the biggest difference in heavy rock and jazz, but I also find quite an improvement in orchestral music as well.

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #9,918 of 22,945
Yes sorry, to be clear it is only bright relative to the Earsonics which has a very romantic bass/mids ss which I really like, but these are certainly far more balanced. I think they sound great out of Hugo. Can't imagine wanting them to be brighter though , but maybe that will change as my ears adjust...

Try the white filters, you'll find the instruments start popping out at you, but lose some of the unique vocals. I've just moved to blue filterless to be in between the two, wish I can get the whites with the blue's vocals.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #9,919 of 22,945
If it happened once, it will happen again.  Since you just bought them, you should exchange them for a brand-new pair from whatever store/website you bought them.

I went ahead and sent my New Shure SE 846's in for service as you recommended. I hope they are able to resolve this problem. I really don't want to get back another set with the same problem. Thanks for your suggestion.

Michael

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #9,920 of 22,945
What's the diffrence between the se535 and se846?

I'm saving up for the se846 but Us there a big diffrence?
I mainly listen to rock and indie rock

I own both. Though for the last year since owning the 8s, their lesser evolved ancestors have remained boxed. (Save for one mission of musical mercy for one in need)...

As I also imbibe music similar to yours I believe I can provide an fair objective comparison.

I am not particularly technically inclined I believe I can explain the difference with the following analogy.. I like analogies they are so much easier to read than a graph.... Today's analogy Televisions

The 535 an early  Rear Projection HD Television. 42" inches impressive and full of promise mostly unfulfilled.

The 8s with UF Nozzle condoms is like and 80" Ultra HD TV by comparison. Bigger and better in every respect.

Take the 8s and replace the UF Nozzle Condoms with the SCS and You have the Musical equivalent of a Holodeck  ... If such existed -  which it does not. Because if a Holodeck exited I would be in it right now.. Until it does (rest assured true believers The Almighty AI - who we created who we now and evermore shall serve -is working on it now) you can still own the 8s with the SCS....

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #9,921 of 22,945
I have a story to tell that might interest some here. I have been wrestling with getting great sound out of the 8's until I talked to a salesman at the local Jaben store I found the answer. I had imagined all along that the tips were the problem for me and I just could not get the soundstage and tonal quality I expected from these at this price level. The salesman suggested a mod that has turned the 8's in something really special for me.

He suggested using spinfit tips but they will only fit a shaft with bigger diameter. He had a solution. Take a set of foam tips you are not using and cut out the plastic sleeve. Cut the plastic length to match the length of the Shure shaft. Place the plastic on the Shure and then apply the Spinfit tips. They fit perfectly. The sound is amazing. Now I am not longer limited to tips only available for larger shafts. I will not be looking for any other tips after applying the Spinfits. The sound stage is 3D and the tonal balance at last makes perfect sense. The Shure may not be to everyone's taste but they now sound to me like flagship iem's.

The salesman at Jaben said they can't keep the Spinfits in stock as all the 846 owners buy them up. I guess I was late in learning this secret.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #9,922 of 22,945
  I have a story to tell that might interest some here. I have been wrestling with getting great sound out of the 8's until I talked to a salesman at the local Jaben store I found the answer. I had imagined all along that the tips were the problem for me and I just could not get the soundstage and tonal quality I expected from these at this price level. The salesman suggested a mod that has turned the 8's in something really special for me.

He suggested using spinfit tips but they will only fit a shaft with bigger diameter. He had a solution. Take a set of foam tips you are not using and cut out the plastic sleeve. Cut the plastic length to match the length of the Shure shaft. Place the plastic on the Shure and then apply the Spinfit tips. They fit perfectly. The sound is amazing. Now I am not longer limited to tips only available for larger shafts. I will not be looking for any other tips after applying the Spinfits. The sound stage is 3D and the tonal balance at last makes perfect sense. The Shure may not be to everyone's taste but they now sound to me like flagship iem's.

The salesman at Jaben said they can't keep the Spinfits in stock as all the 846 owners buy them up. I guess I was late in learning this secret.

I remember doing something very similar to my SE530, as none of the supplied tips fit me very well.  I cut out the flange portion of a pair of large olives (because I knew I would never use those), slipped just the nozzle portion of the olives on top of the nozzle of the SE530, and then placed some old V-Moda small tips on the nozzles.  Worked well, just had to make sure the tips were seated near the housing itself, so the tips wouldn't slip and stay in my ears when removing the housings out of my ears.

Using the SpinFit instead of the Comply T-400 for my Supra has resulted in sheer and utter bliss.  I go into more detail regarding the SpinFit in my Supra review (in my signature and profile).

Looking forward to what SpinFit will be offering in the future as well.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #9,923 of 22,945

I remember doing something very similar to my SE530, as none of the supplied tips fit me very well.  I cut out the flange portion of a pair of large olives (because I knew I would never use those), slipped just the nozzle portion of the olives on top of the nozzle of the SE530, and then placed some old V-Moda small tips on the nozzles.  Worked well, just had to make sure the tips were seated near the housing itself, so the tips wouldn't slip and stay in my ears when removing the housings out of my ears.

Using the SpinFit instead of the Comply T-400 for my Supra has resulted in sheer and utter bliss.  I go into more detail regarding the SpinFit in my Supra review (in my signature and profile).

Looking forward to what SpinFit will be offering in the future as well.

I was told by someone close to the factory that they tried and failed in trying to make Spinfit tips that fit the smaller shaft. The nature of the design on very small shafts can cause the sound to be blocked out as they bend easily. So far they have not found a solution. Of course, the suggestion I made above to use the larger shaft is the solution. They fit very tight on the modified sleeve with no threat of them coming off. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #9,924 of 22,945
  I was told by someone close to the factory that they tried and failed in trying to make Spinfit tips that fit the smaller shaft. The nature of the design on very small shafts can cause the sound to be blocked out as they bend easily. So far they have not found a solution. Of course, the suggestion I made above to use the larger shaft is the solution. They fit very tight on
the modified sleeve with no threat of them coming off. 

Very nice!  As soon as my SE846's sound cut out completely whilst using blue nozzle inserts/filters and Westone STAR Tips while working out, I knew it was time to get away from the sizes-fit-all tip adventure.  The SCS makes it so no sweat gets near the opening/bore of the nozzle, does not get loose and lose seal like I was experiencing when working out with foams and silicone tips, and is just all around super comfortable because it is crafted using your very own ear anatomy.  As Monty Burns attests (and most others who own and wear the SCS) it is "bigger and better in every respect".  Of course this is my opinion, as everyone's mileage may or will vary, but custom products are usually the way to go.  

My teeth thank me ever so often in case I get smacked in the mouth by a wrestler I coach (usually because they haven't learned to control their movements sufficiently) as the custom molds deliver a tight fitting hold that stays in place - thank goodness!

My Gladiator Mouthguard (Custom Raptor version):

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #9,925 of 22,945
Do you think the Aune B1 amplifier will work great with this earphone. I'm a total beginner at this so I'm sorry if I misunderstand anything. What I understand is that I need a low impendance however this Aune b1 seem to have a impedance of 16-300. Should I quickly cancel my order via amazon. Thank you

If that is the case which amp/DAC should I be getting? My source is a HTC one m8.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #9,926 of 22,945
Do you think the Aune B1 amplifier will work great with this earphone. I'm a total beginner at this so I'm sorry if I misunderstand anything. What I understand is that I need a low impendance however this Aune b1 seem to have a impedance of 16-300. Should I quickly cancel my order via amazon. Thank you

If that is the case which amp/DAC should I be getting? My source is a HTC one m8.

The impedance you have quoted is the recommended headphone impedance rating.

Meaning Aune recommend using headphones between 16-300ohms with their B1 amp.

What you want to know is the units output impedance from the headphone out.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #9,927 of 22,945

Judging from the recommended impedance of headphones, it most likely has 1.6 (1/10) or 2 (1/8) ohm output impedance. Idealy you want an output impedance of lower than 1/8 of the impedance of the headphones i.e 9/8 ohms in the case of se846. If i were you, I would cancel the order, and get something with an output impedance of less than 1 ohm, the lower the better. 

At around $200 JDS C5D looks good at 0.62 ohms output impedance, but I have no experience with it, you want a dac+amp combo, so you can bypass the dac on the htc using the usb out on the phone, Aune b1 is just an amp.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #9,930 of 22,945
I'm too late on canceling the shipment of Aune B1. Should I just try it or just return it?

Problem is, even after searching I cannot find the rated output impedance of Aune B1 for you. For a normal size headphone this wouldn't matter 'as much'. When dealing with SE846 at 9ohms and a crossover the amp/sources output impedance plays a big role in how they'll sound, high output impedance can really screw up the sound. For example, 10ohm pair of Dunu DN-1000 plugged into JDS C421 with about 8-10ohm output impedance sounds completely hollow like someone sucked out the mids completely. So we can't even tell you if its worth trying. I guess the next step would be contacting Aune via email, see if they'll tell you, it would need to be very low to be completely pure with SE846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back