Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #9,406 of 22,945
Trust me, you don't need a dedicated audiophile dap or additional amp to enjoy the 846 or any efficient iem for that matter, your sony walkman x or any media player will get you 95% there. Only worry about the those things later once you've decide on the iem that suits your preference. Think of fancy high end daps and amps/dac as the icing on the cake. Truth is the majority of people can't discern any difference after 320kbps so flac and high res music is any over kill and really just for show. It's better to put more effort discovering new artist and storing more tracks than worrying if the quality if good enough. 

thank you for the explanation . I'm a bit noob in these things. :D
I currently have a sennheiser ie80 . you guys think there is a huge difference between the two to justify the purchase? for me to realize better in terms of sound which the main differences between the two?

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #9,408 of 22,945
  Trust me, you don't need a dedicated audiophile dap or additional amp to enjoy the 846 or any efficient iem for that matter, your sony walkman x or any media player will get you 95% there. Only worry about the those things later once you've decide on the iem that suits your preference. Think of fancy high end daps and amps/dac as the icing on the cake. Truth is the majority of people can't discern any difference after 320kbps so flac and high res music is any over kill and really just for show. It's better to put more effort discovering new artist and storing more tracks than worrying if the quality if good enough. 

I disagree. High res music isn't over kill and not for show because I can hear the differences pretty easily with the Sennheiser HD800.

But since most people use Beats headphones with their iPhone's, ofcourse they won't be able to hear it. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #9,410 of 22,945
I find having a good chain from music files to player to iems makes the most difference to me.  So I use FLAC or DSD in a good player with good iems.  But when I used an iPhone to play music, I did find improvement in its sound with Apple Lossless files and better iems.  I just found more improvement using a better DAP and better iems (and since Apple Lossless doesn't always play with better players, I re-ripped to FLAC).

Many folks swear by iPods and mp3 files.  Many folks find both lacking.  Part of the "fun" of this sport is figuring out what you want, what you need, and what you can pay for.  Will the 846 make your phone sound better?  Probably.  Will you be happy?  Probably.  Will you at some point wonder if you can do better?  Probably.  
wink_face.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #9,412 of 22,945
  Personally i found pairing it with the right amp made a bigger difference for me than mp3 vs flac.

My experience was dependent on the quality of the recording.  There is always a difference--the FLAC files consistently sound better--but the superior sound of the FLAC files becomes more audible with higher-quality recordings.

Even with the best amp I have, I found MP3 sound unacceptable for serious listening.  As background music or for casual listening, MP3 files work just fine, as they were intended to. MP3 files, iPhones and a pair of Apple IEM make a perfect match.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #9,414 of 22,945
The site says tomorrow, but tomorrow is a holiday, so.....  Guess all 30+ of us will find out when we start getting tracking #s.  I hate this part.  
mad.gif

"Domestic and international orders will be shipped by Massdrop.

Estimated ship date is February 16, 2015.

After the drop ends, check the discussion page for updates."

All it says in Discussions is: "Howdy, this has actually been updated for shipping audio products over $500 internationally. The SE846 will be shipped via USPS Priority with tracking information."

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #9,415 of 22,945
Lol. It doesnt look like I got whacked with tax either. Here's to the wait. Apparently the usps will start delivering for Amazon soon on Sundays. It likely wont be too far out before the other couriers follow suit.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #9,416 of 22,945
Tax for Florida and CA.  I got hit for $58.50.  A bit painful, but still less than I could find it anywhere else.  And no telling if it would be taxed from there too.  

USPS delivers Sunday for Amazon Prime members.  I've had several Express packages delivered on a Sunday.  

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #9,417 of 22,945
And i'm back to the blue filter again. The mids are much better with the blue filter. We'll see how long till I go back to the white filter. I predict in 2-3 weeks. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #9,418 of 22,945
The site says tomorrow, but tomorrow is a holiday, so.....  Guess all 30+ of us will find out when we start getting tracking #s.  I hate this part.  :mad:

"Domestic and international orders will be shipped by Massdrop.

Estimated ship date is February 16, 2015

After the drop ends, check the discussion page for updates."

All it says in Discussions is: "Howdy, this has actually been updated for shipping audio products over $500 internationally. The SE846 will be shipped via USPS Priority with tracking information."

Changed you mind on 846s Dude?! Hope you like them. Do try Westone Star tips for a precise exciting sound. PS - no amp needed with X5, doubt with pono.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #9,419 of 22,945
Changed you mind on 846s Dude?! Hope you like them. Do try Westone Star tips for a precise exciting sound. PS - no amp needed with X5, doubt with pono.

Liked the price, and the UERMs seem like they can be iffy with source files that aren't well-mastered.  I have live stuff and 60's music (Stones for example) that are a bit lacking in the good -mastering area. 

Also, since I got the custom balanced Moon cables for my Fidue, I "think" they will also fit the 846.  The UERMs would need another balanced cable and I don't want to do that.  

I'm hoping my Spiral Tips will work as well.  They didn't for me with the Fidues- too shallow to get a good seal.  

I think the Pono has more power than does the X5.  In balanced mode it seems very powerful indeed.  

Now I'm just waiting for the Shures to ship/arrive so I can play with them.  Once I pulled the trigger and bought them, I wanted them now.  Damn Amazon Prime, I've gotten used to 2-day shipping.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back