Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #9,361 of 22,960
I have heard that the M has issues with certain low impedance phones. Hopefully the 846 is not one of those.

Only with certain dynamic drivers. BA is OK.

I am new to Massdrop however I have heard that if enough people continue to join after the lowest drop they may drop it lower.

I hope so since I've decided to re-buy the 846 and joined the drop 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #9,365 of 22,960
One last thing are we assured that these 846's are authentic through massdrop? Do they let you know where they purchase them through? Is warranty a concern?

They will be authentic. They're authorized dealers now. That's why Head-Fi allows us to discuss them by name now. They order direct from the manufacturer, split up the bulk shipment, repackage the items, and ship to their respective buyers. 

I've purchased from them a few times. The only thing to note is that you need to be prepared to be patient. It can take over a month sometimes to receive your item after the drop ends. That's the trade off. You save money, but you have to wait longer than normal. As long as you're OK with the trade off, Massdrop isn't all that bad. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #9,369 of 22,960
yeah its because of the immersion and isolation, its easy to get sucked in into the music and also im not able to hear certain things that help me when im normally walking with in ears such as, not hearing my own footsteps. the se846 keeps its integrity so the outside noise does not have an effect on the sound to the degree as in other iem.i caught my self tripping when walking up stairs or past bumps on the pavement because i cant hear or feel my self walking. like how you can hear or feel your self swallow with cheaper iem. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #9,370 of 22,960
I got some loud popping sounds when my DAC ran out of battery (on why is beyond me).  It freaked me out.  How susceptible are the drivers to damage from this?

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #9,371 of 22,960
  Anyone here experiment with a Magni/Modi combo with the SE846s? How is it?

i sorta tried it with it and what sorta bothered me was the volume difference between ears a little bit maybe it was just me or because i plugged a couple new things into my computer throwing my usb off for the magni modi combo but i dont think magni modi is too suitable for sensitive iem 

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #9,372 of 22,960
  I got some loud popping sounds when my DAC ran out of battery (on why is beyond me).  It freaked me out.  How susceptible are the drivers to damage from this?

any plug that uses that plug if ungrounded (especially with quarter inches instrument wires and the like) is a live active electrical feed so if you plug like it into your dac when its on with the music playing and the earphones in your ears im sure you will hear a similar pop can't avoid it though the safest way is to plug it in with the whole unit off and so on but i haven't heard of any stories of it damaging driver or stuff unless the volume you listen to are very very high levels. 

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #9,373 of 22,960
I have heard that the M has issues with certain low impedance phones. Hopefully the 846 is not one of those.

thats the lowest and its a limited buyin i believe for 35 units. and they are low impedance most iems are lol they have an impedance of 9 ohms so i dont think its a good pairing if it has issues 

sorry for the spam! im new and just learned about the multi quote button!

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #9,374 of 22,960
  any plug that uses that plug if ungrounded (especially with quarter inches instrument wires and the like) is a live active electrical feed so if you plug like it into your dac when its on with the music playing and the earphones in your ears im sure you will hear a similar pop can't avoid it though the safest way is to plug it in with the whole unit off and so on but i haven't heard of any stories of it damaging driver or stuff unless the volume you listen to are very very high levels. 

Yeah, I try not to do that or turn on/off the DAC while the IEM's are plugged in.  But I can't tell when the thing is gonna run out of battery.

The volume knob is generally low, these IEM's don't need a lot to run.  But the popping sounds sounded louder than I had the volume set to :frowning2:

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #9,375 of 22,960
Yeah, I try not to do that or turn on/off the DAC while the IEM's are plugged in.  But I can't tell when the thing is gonna run out of battery.

The volume knob is generally low, these IEM's don't need a lot to run.  But the popping sounds sounded louder than I had the volume set to :frowning2:
what dac do you use if you don't mind me asking same thing happened to me cause my amp runs on 9v. This is why prople get dac amps with xlr or balanced plugins and get the converter to get a more grounded stable line

Users who are viewing this thread

Back