Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 8, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #9,302 of 22,960
Hey guys, just got the se846... anyone could tell me if I can use a portable dac/amp combo for both Android (currently SIII mini) and a laptop? Or is it much better to buy a high-end audio player instead?
I'm ready to kill a tiny bit of power if I can keep smartphone abilities but if difference is that great I might directly buy a player.

Tried the e12 but doesn't sound that great, especially on smartphone (because no line out I guess).

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #9,303 of 22,960
balanced amp is more important than DAP for SE846 if you have to choose (SE846 likes power to come to life).  I like the Intruder and SR71B with balanced silver litz cables for the SE846.  

The AK240+HUGO is much better but also much more expensive.  

Finally, I find samsung smart phones to have impedance problems with the SE846.  If you don't get an amp, at least buy a cheap iPod touch as it works much better with the SE846.  Then get a good player like Onkyo app to play those high rez files.  

Good luck.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #9,304 of 22,960
balanced amp is more important than DAP for SE846 if you have to choose (SE846 likes power to come to life).  I like the Intruder and SR71B with balanced silver litz cables for the SE846.  

Finally, I find samsung smart phones to have impedance problems with the SE846.  If you don't get an amp, at least buy a cheap iPod touch as it works much better with the SE846.  Then get a good player like Onkyo app to play those high rez files.  

Good luck.

I have to agree with my friend MCoupe. Having owned the 8s since it was first released in August of 2013. A balanced amp with the 846 with silver litz cables really make them sing. The low impedance of the 8s means that when bass is called for it needs more than normal power instantly to drive them. This theory is why Red Wine modifies the AK240 with greater rail capacitors.

Also, owning the RSA Protector, RSA Lightning and now the RSA Intruder all balanced amplifiers. The Intruder is truly a spectacular pairing with the the 846.

Finally, let me openly and publicly thank MCoupe for the GIFT of his RSA Intruder to me. We first met on this website and I dare say we have become true friends. It was a gift beyond measure that words cannot express how much it means to me. Thank you Joe aka MCoupe

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #9,305 of 22,960

Good luck.

I have to agree with my friend MCoupe. Having owned the 8s since it was first released in August of 2013. A balanced amp with the 846 with silver litz cables really make them sing. The low impedance of the 8s means that when bass is called for it needs more than normal power instantly to drive them. This theory is why Red Wine modifies the AK240 with greater rail capacitors.

Also, owning the RSA Protector, RSA Lightning and now the RSA Intruder all balanced amplifiers. The Intruder is truly a spectacular pairing with the the 846.

Finally, let me openly and publicly thank MCoupe for the GIFT of his RSA Intruder to me. We first met on this website and I dare say we have become true friends. It was a gift beyond measure that words cannot express how much it means to me. Thank you Joe aka MCoupe

I agree with both of my friends - as they were the first ones on Head-Fi that were helpful to me and are just plain old nice and intelligent gentlemen.

The Intruder with Silver Litz SE and Balanced cables sounds amazing, and I concur the Hugo is a portable euphoric-sounding device, albeit more expensive than most portable DAC/Amps currently on the market.  Also agree the Onkyo app is great to pair with iDevices, as it sounds the same (with no EQ set) as Neutron Music player to my ears. 

As for the gift, wow, that's simply epic!  I guess I can now say a huge thank you to M Coupe as well for loaning me the Intruder (and silver Balanced cable) for review - I sincerely appreciate it!

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #9,306 of 22,960
I have two ALO dac/amps with balanced outputs that I haven't tried yet - but I have a balanced silver cable coming from Ted soon - looking to have a bit of fun trying it out.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #9,307 of 22,960
I am looking for a Balanced Amp for my SE846. I will also order balanced cables. At the moment I think that the balanced connecter will be the 4-pin (rectangular one).
I will still keep my Single Ended output DAC/AMP as well.

Can you recommend a small Balanced to SE adapter to connect to my balanced SE846 cable/connector, in order to connect with my SE AMP/DAC a well?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #9,308 of 22,960
  I have two ALO dac/amps with balanced outputs that I haven't tried yet - but I have a balanced silver cable coming from Ted soon - looking to have a bit of fun trying it out.

which cable did you order from ted?? I as well have a silver litz cable order for my babies from ted with a silver litz interconnect wire for my amp :D 

i tried using my klipsch x10s cause its just an easy fit and boy was it dissatisfying like i was listening to music in a stuffy closet once you go totl i guess you can't go back...

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #9,309 of 22,960
  I am looking for a Balanced Amp for my SE846. I will also order balanced cables.
I will still keep my Single Ended output DAC/AMP as well.

Can you recommend a small Balanced to SE adapter to connect to my balanced SE846 cable/connector, in order to connect with my SE AMP/DAC a well?

Thanks

you should talk to ted allen for a custom cable! very pleasant to deal with and is very quick to reply as well as reasonable pricing! he does interconnects as well. 

I actually use a cMoyBB v2.03 amp with the bass boost in an altoid tin and it makes my baby's bass give it some thump and a bit more space satisfying enough and cheap too unless someone else can give a better suggestion + bang for the buck. But I am quite happy much with it over the fiio amps i have 

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #9,311 of 22,960
Do you email Ted through his site or do you send a PM within head-fi? Thanks!

You can contact Ted either through his email address on his website (headphonelounge.com) or through PM on Head-Fi, but I would personally email him at his email address to contact him: tedallen0220@gmail.com.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #9,313 of 22,960
Thank you all for your answers.

Quote:

Good luck.

The Intruder and SR71B are affordable to me, just have to pick one. 

To be honest AK240+HUGO is too expensive for now, but maybe later if it's really a stellar difference with smartphone+amp.

Will the iPod touch alone be able to drive the SE846 to a good level?  What about the iPod classic and iPhone 6? (EDIT: same question for Huawei Ascend Mate 7 )

Thank you

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #9,314 of 22,960

The Intruder and SR71B are affordable to me, just have to pick one. 

To be honest AK240+HUGO is too expensive for now, but maybe later if it's really a stellar difference with smartphone+amp.

Will the iPod touch alone be able to drive the SE846 to a good level?  What about the iPod classic and iPhone 6? (EDIT: same question for Huawei Ascend Mate 7 )

Thank you

If the AK240 & HUGO setup is too expensive for you, purchase an iBasso MK2. If possible, buy a Dragonfly 1.2 for laptop use. The latter is superior to the former in every way (I have both btw).

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #9,315 of 22,960

If the AK240 & HUGO setup is too expensive for you, purchase an iBasso MK2. If possible, buy a Dragonfly 1.2 for laptop use. The latter is superior to the former in every way (I have both btw).

Thanks for your answer. They look cheap and interesting. I wonder how well they can drive the SE846.
Kinda hesitating between them and The Intruder / SR71B now. Have to check if the price difference worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back