Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #9,226 of 22,945
I think this is a duplicate post?

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #9,229 of 22,945
What I wrote is just to share what I went through with se846 as I notice many new buyers has the same experience as I went through which dislike it initially. Now, I would said the se846 is the best iem instead of thinking selling it away. I share my experience because of what I read about others who dislike it initially too. And they also went through the process of trying the tips, filter, player, the source and cables. All these do play a part in affecting the overall experience of the sound of se846. Once you found the right combination, the WOW!feeling will be there. Hope new buyers will give se846 a chance to perform. They will definitely give you satisfaction once you get the right combination. I share all my setup as a reference but not everyone will like the sound that I like as I come from Westone W4R which emphasis on vocal. So I am more of treble but appreciate the bass that se846 has given me which let me see the other side of spectrum of frequency.

I am now the happy owner of the se846!

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #9,232 of 22,945
Just tried the black filters (warm) and holy crap, this rocks!  I've always pushed towards being neutral, didn't even care that these earphones came with different filters.  I tried out the black filter just for fun and freakin blown away.

Can't see myself going back.  Shure helped me discover about myself, that I'm a warm-signature kinda person :)

I should've probably figured it out on my own, since I'm sensitive to higher frequencies and I like a good amount of bass.  I was just so stubborn about being neutral/balanced.  It's more about enjoyment!

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #9,233 of 22,945
Maybe is the balance cable but I had try another balance cable which is worst than my stock cable. So I also don't know but anyway now I enjoy my music. Hope everyone also enjoy their music too!

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #9,234 of 22,945

Maybe is the balance cable but I had try another balance cable which is worst than my stock cable. So I also don't know but anyway now I enjoy my music. Hope everyone also enjoy their music too!

Unquote

Unquote

As long as you enjoy your music / setup, that's the importance.

I have a AK120II attached to SE846 with Alo XC22 Copper balance cable, SQ improved a lot and now the phone output (SE)  is only for the portable speaker use.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #9,235 of 22,945
Agree with MadGTI. Actually, fiio x5 matches w4r very well. I was so satisfied with them that I thought I had found my ideal setup but my itch ear go to audit other iem which begins my search. Although my current setup is better but my previous setup also not bad. I notice the synergy between player and earpiece is very important. I learn this also from my hifi system setup. It is easier to change a new iem then changing the player as the current earpiece might not match which this issue happens to me.

Feb 5, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #9,236 of 22,945
I posted this over at the Headphone Lounge thread, but I thought I would post it here too. 
I got my Silver Litz cable for SE846 last week, I have to say I love it. I will briefly compare the Litz to the 3 other cables I have: stock, Plussound Exo, Effect Audio Apollo. 

Here are some photos (please click original to see large photo):

Stock

Plussound Exo

Effect Audio Apollo

Ted's Silver Litz

Super closeup of the litz braid (click to see large size)

Comparisons:

1. Stock Cable
Build Quality: Built like a tank, absolutely no issues at all. Don't really like the memory wire, but that's mainly because I wear glasses. 
Ergonomics: The cable will untangle itself, a little bit annoying, but acceptable. Microphonics is average. 
Sound: Slightly grainy, congested sound. Smallest soundstage size, lacks layering and depth. More bass quantity than Apollo and Litz. 

2. Plussound Exo
Build Quality: The one I have may be an earlier version, not sure if they improved on the build quality since. The heat shrink and ear guides are quite sloppy and rough, especially at the MMCX and plug terminals. The cable itself not braided very tightly and uniformly, however the copper color does look very nice. 
Ergonomics: Worst of the bunch, tons of microphonics making on the go quite irritating. The cable is very hard, will always try to straighten itself, and is easy to kink if enough force is applied. Nylon covering is highly recommended.
Sound: Slightly thinner sounding than stock and Litz, vocal is a tad recessed. Soundstage is wider than stock but the depth stays the same. I would say this is the brightest sounding cable of the bunch. 

3. Effect Audio Apollo
Build Quality: It doesn't look like it's built by hand, as it is very consistent looking and the build is generally good. The heat shrink by the MMCX connector came loose after light use, and the memory wire inside turned black also. The first cable I got arrived with the left ear completely not working, but Effect Audio quickly replaced it with another one. 
Ergonomics: Thinnest cable of the bunch, but the ergonomics is very good. Least microphonics of the 4, and the cable is very soft, easy to roll up. I got the white cable, so it is not the best looking cable in the world.
Sound: Slightly reduced bass compared to stock. Overall sound is not very exciting, but slightly less veiled and good for long listening. The sound is actually quite close to the stock cable. 

4. Ted's Silver Litz
Build Quality: Fantastic build quality considering it's hand built. The braid is very consistent and the terminations look great. I had to remove the washers from the MMCX, otherwise it would easily pop off the earphones. The cable looks very sexy in person, has a beautiful silver sheen. 
Ergonomics: Good ergonomics, microphonics is slightly less than stock. Considering it is the thickest cable, it is very soft which can easily be rolled up and magically it doesn't pop back. Easiest of the 4 to store. 
Sound: Biggest improvement to sound of the bunch, I would say about 10-15% depending on the recording. Songs with good recording will have a bigger difference. The soundstage is the widest, and layering and texture is great, giving a bit more out of head experience. The bass is tighter and has more impact. Overall the sound is less veiled and more clean, the silver cable attribute really shows here. Detail retrieval is also better with the Litz. 

Summary
Build Quality: Stock = Litz > Apollo > Exo
Ergonomics: Apollo > Litz > Stock > Exo
Sound: Litz > Exo > Apollo > stock

I personally think changing cables do make a difference in sound, but generally it's very small, like 5-10% improvement compared to the stock cable. Like with the Apollo I had to AB with stock several times to find noticeable differences.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully it's somewhat helpful to those who are trying to decide which cable to get for their beloved SE846. =)

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #9,237 of 22,945
Good information! I wonder anyone can compare Litz with ALO sxc24. So far, the description of Litz's sound is like ALO sxc24 but personally never try Litz before. I agree with Kwang411 on the stock cable description. Same feeling. So from description of the Lits, it seems like what I heard the sound of ALO sxc24. Hope to hear a comparison of both Litz and sxc24.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #9,238 of 22,945
I posted this over at the Headphone Lounge thread, but I thought I would post it here too. 
I got my Silver Litz cable for SE846 last week, I have to say I love it. I will briefly compare the Litz to the 3 other cables I have: stock, Plussound Exo, Effect Audio Apollo. 

Stock

Plussound Exo
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Effect Audio Apollo
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Ted's Silver Litz
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Comparisons:

1. Stock Cable
Build Quality: Built like a tank, absolutely no issues at all. Don't really like the memory wire, but that's mainly because I wear glasses. 
Ergonomics: The cable will untangle itself, a little bit annoying, but acceptable. Microphonics is average. 
Sound: Slightly grainy, congested sound. Smallest soundstage size, lacks layering and depth. More bass quantity than Apollo and Litz. 

2. Plussound Exo
Build Quality: The one I have may be an earlier version, not sure if they improved on the build quality since. The heat shrink and ear guides are quite sloppy and rough, especially at the MMCX and plug terminals. The cable itself not braided very tightly and uniformly, however the copper color does look very nice. 
Ergonomics: Worst of the bunch, tons of microphonics making on the go quite irritating. The cable is very hard, will always try to straighten itself, and is easy to kink if enough force is applied. Nylon covering is highly recommended.
Sound: Slightly thinner sounding than stock and Litz, vocal is a tad recessed. Soundstage is wider than stock but the depth stays the same. I would say this is the brightest sounding cable of the bunch. 

3. Effect Audio Apollo
Build Quality: It doesn't look like it's built by hand, as it is very consistent looking and the build is generally good. The heat shrink by the MMCX connector came loose after light use, and the memory wire inside turned black also. The first cable I got arrived with the left ear completely not working, but Effect Audio quickly replaced it with another one. 
Ergonomics: Thinnest cable of the bunch, but the ergonomics is very good. Least microphonics of the 4, and the cable is very soft, easy to roll up. I got the white cable, so it is not the best looking cable in the world.
Sound: Slightly reduced bass compared to stock. Overall sound is not very exciting, but slightly less veiled and good for long listening. The sound is actually quite close to the stock cable. 

4. Ted's Silver Litz
Build Quality: Fantastic build quality considering it's hand built. The braid is very consistent and the terminations look great. I had to remove the washers from the MMCX, otherwise it would easily pop off the earphones. The cable looks very sexy in person, has a beautiful silver sheen. 
Ergonomics: Good ergonomics, microphonics is slightly less than stock. Considering it is the thickest cable, it is very soft which can easily be rolled up and magically it doesn't pop back. Easiest of the 4 to store. 
Sound: Biggest improvement to sound of the bunch, I would say about 10-15% depending on the recording. Songs with good recording will have a bigger difference. The soundstage is the widest, and layering and texture is great, giving a bit more out of head experience. The bass is tighter and has more impact. Overall the sound is less veiled and more clean, the silver cable attribute really shows here. Detail retrieval is also better with the Litz. 

Summary

I personally think changing cables do make a difference in sound, but generally it's very small, like 5-10% improvement compared to the stock cable. Like with the Apollo I had to AB with stock several times to find noticeable differences.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully it's somewhat helpful to those who are trying to decide which cable to get for their beloved SE846. =)

thanks for sharing! :)

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #9,239 of 22,945

Stock

Plussound Exo

Effect Audio Apollo

Ted's Silver Litz

Comparisons:

1. Stock Cable

2. Plussound Exo

3. Effect Audio Apollo

4. Ted's Silver Litz

Summary

Thank you for sharing!  Would you mind also posting the prices you paid for those cables too?  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back