Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #9,166 of 22,945
I'll colour myself intrigued...

I am now (until I complete my order with Toxic Cables) running with white filters, and Fiio SE1 cable - and the treble is much much sweeter (and, extended) when on a direct A/B with the Senn IE800, which oddly, sound metallic, and unnatural...

I am a relatively self prescribed mid / treble head (it's all about the vocals!!), do these push the treble further, but - still keep sibilance in check?

When I got my 846 about 1/2 year ago, I also found the IE800 thin and metallic and found that the Sony H3 sounded even more full bodied and better and just had to sell them.
So after 1/2 year .. 846 keeps impressing me. Just got a Sony Z5 and it is also excellent and I think it's very much on par with the 846 for sound quality .. just different. 
Looks like I have found my 2 end game iems .... I'm not even curious about anything else. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #9,167 of 22,945
  Guys need some advice, i have been using Westone UM3X for few years now and im thinking to upgrade to either Westone UM Pro 50 or Shure se846 (actually i hate the wire of shure) which one should i go for ? And is there any cable that is similar to Westone Epic ones if i go for shure se846?

What do you like/dislike about the UM3X?

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #9,168 of 22,945
I am now (until I complete my order with Toxic Cables) running with white filters, and Fiio SE1 cable - and the treble is much much sweeter (and, extended) when on a direct A/B with the Senn IE800, which oddly, sound metallic, and unnatural...

I am a relatively self prescribed mid / treble head (it's all about the vocals!!), do these push the treble further, but - still keep sibilance in check?

That's SPC right? Have you tried them with silver cables? With the Chord Hugo as a source, methinks you can keep pushing that envelope :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #9,169 of 22,945
Actually i love the punch on the um3x, their bass punch are awesome anyway i just auditioned the 846 in one of the local shop, it's truly a different experience with these played with them for about 20 min but i hate the shure cable its too stiff and feels sticky.. is there any flexible cable like the one from westone that would suit Shure 846?

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #9,171 of 22,945
That's SPC right? Have you tried them with silver cables? With the Chord Hugo as a source, methinks you can keep pushing that envelope :)
SPC, yes - I'm ordering a Silver Litz cable to push that very envelope you mention :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #9,172 of 22,945
  I bought the Rush album "Sprit Of Radio: Greatest Hits 1974-87" off HD Tracks at 48/96 and have enjoyed the sound through most of my IEMs - haven't bought any of the other albums there. "Take 5" was another purchase - along with "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report - some of the Jazz selections do sound superior than the rock recordings - I'll have to go back and listen to the sax solo to see if I can spot what you are talking about. 
wink_face.gif

My copy of Take Five is on DSF format though.  I got it from the guy who used to own my DX90. :)  Looking forward to hearing your feedback on the FLAC version if it had that mic cut-off in between one of the sax solos. :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #9,174 of 22,945
How's the sound with a silver cable? Which silver cable would you recommend? I tried the Fiio SPC with 846 and found it missing out a little details in the mid range.

Not an expert on cables. I just go with Fonebone (legendary local diy guy in Singapore)'s silver cable. He calls it the Cadence. Affordable, great service, and has that silver sound that I like :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #9,175 of 22,945
Not an expert on cables. I just go with Fonebone (legendary local diy guy in Singapore)'s silver cable. He calls it the Cadence. Affordable, great service, and has that silver sound that I like :)

Ahh. He's still making the cadence cable? I had it once to pair with UE900 and its really good! Extremely love the sound and ergonomics. But no longer have the cable. Do you have any idea if I can still get the cadence cable from him? :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #9,176 of 22,945
Ahh. He's still making the cadence cable? I had it once to pair with UE900 and its really good! Extremely love the sound and ergonomics. But no longer have the cable. Do you have any idea if I can still get the cadence cable from him? :)

Yes :) he just made one for iichigo to pair with his Legend R this week!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747038/earwerkz-legend-r-8-driver-7-way-6-crossover-flagship-discussion-thread/105#post_11275805

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #9,179 of 22,945
Yes :) he just made one for iichigo to pair with his Legend R this week!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747038/earwerkz-legend-r-8-driver-7-way-6-crossover-flagship-discussion-thread/105#post_11275805

Thanks for the info! Will definitely be getting the cadence cable from him! :)

I'm getting double helix copper silver Litz 8 braid in a few weeks, post impressions then as I enjoy some copper muscularity with my silver Litz. It's pricey I'll admit, but attention to detail seems high. I'm also receiving from ALO their sxc8 also 8 braid copper silver hybrid, post impressions on that. I had to return the quad ribbon 8 braid from ALO , fruit loop looking thing, cause of spotty connection near the 3.5, but it was a copper silver hybrid as well and the sound enhancement was spectacular. Just some varied ideas....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back