Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #8,911 of 22,954
  to all westone tips users, which one are you using? the foam or the silicon ones?
I keep changing between them. On the one hand, I find the foam is more comfortable. On the other hand, I feel the silicon has greater fit thus producing better sound.

I'm a silicone fan myself.  I like to be able to take them in and out easily without waiting for the foam to expand.  For me, I also find (somewhat counter-intuitively) that I can keep a better seal with movement (like shifting my head on a pillow) with the silicones over the foams.

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #8,912 of 22,954
It depends on if you like ease of removal and what kinda sound you want.

Silicones WILL result in more bass. They just do. This might be a good thing to you, but the silicones will give a more profound subwoofer feeling. I use the Westone foams now because it just balanced everything the way I like it. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #8,913 of 22,954

I'm using the Westone Starfit regular size, bought on eBay, pack of 5. Still the best comfort I've come across so far for the 846; couldn't get used to the olives unfortunately :frowning2: 

yeah the starfit is the silicon one. for sound I prefer startfit, but for comfort, I prefer truefit. I hope I could get the best of both world ha3. I think I'll settle in with the truefit. Comfort>sound XD

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #8,914 of 22,954
So I previously mentioned that I won't be doing any audio equipment shopping until the end of the year, but I ran into an ad for an used DX90 in our local classifieds.  It's being sold $100 cheaper than a new unit in the local market (about $330).  Seller bought it Nov 2014.  Should I bite?  :D 

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #8,915 of 22,954
  So I previously mentioned that I won't be doing any audio equipment shopping until the end of the year, but I ran into an ad for an used DX90 in our local classifieds.  It's being sold $100 cheaper than a new unit in the local market (about $330).  Seller bought it Nov 2014.  Should I bite?  :D 

That seems like a very good deal, I would jump on it. The Shure and DX90 pair very well. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #8,916 of 22,954

End of the year sounds like a wildly unrealistic goal!

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #8,917 of 22,954

Haha, just read that. 

Good luck to the poster. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #8,918 of 22,954

I know!  It's just to save a few bucks since audio gear is cheaper in the USA, and I'm flying over there at the end of this year.  At this price, it's worth it for me to get it now.  As an added bonus, I'll get some nice gear to accompany me on the 16h flight.  

I just contacted the seller and I'm awaiting his response.  If all goes well, all I'll need to do is ask permission from the Mrs.  That's the hard part. LOL

Jan 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #8,919 of 22,954
I know!  It's just to save a few bucks since audio gear is cheaper in the USA, and I'm flying over there at the end of this year.  At this price, it's worth it for me to get it now.  As an added bonus, I'll get some nice gear to accompany me on the 16h flight.  

I just contacted the seller and I'm awaiting his response.  If all goes well, all I'll need to do is ask permission from the Mrs.  That's the hard part. LOL

I always believe, seek forgiveness not permission :)

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #8,920 of 22,954

Another one bites the dust

Jan 18, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #8,921 of 22,954
So I had hoped that my upgraditis would be over after getting my CIEM, but that's not the case. I currently have a pair of Miracles and I love the sound of them. They are very comfortable, but only for an hour. After that it hurts my ears, and I am contemplating on replacing then with the se846. My favorite sound from IEM before the Miracles were the se535 and favorite full size was the Ultrasone Edition 8. I've done a bit of reading and think that the se846 would be a good fit and I've always been a fan of the Shure olive fit and comfort. Anyone happened to have heard both the se846 and UM Miracles? or Ultrasone Edition 8s? Thanks in advance@

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #8,922 of 22,954
  So I had hoped that my upgraditis would be over after getting my CIEM, but that's not the case. I currently have a pair of Miracles and I love the sound of them. They are very comfortable, but only for an hour. After that it hurts my ears, and I am contemplating on replacing then with the se846. My favorite sound from IEM before the Miracles were the se535 and favorite full size was the Ultrasone Edition 8. I've done a bit of reading and think that the se846 would be a good fit and I've always been a fan of the Shure olive fit and comfort. Anyone happened to have heard both the se846 and UM Miracles? or Ultrasone Edition 8s? Thanks in advance@

Longgg time owner of the SE846. I auditioned a UM Miracle recently and loved them too. Never heard the Edition 8s, though. You can check out my brief review thread for more impressions.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/50-iem-brief-review-thread-incl-legend-r-customart-harmony-8-hidition-nt-6-and-aaw-w500

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #8,923 of 22,954
  Longgg time owner of the SE846. I auditioned a UM Miracle recently and loved them too. Never heard the Edition 8s, though. You can check out my brief review thread for more impressions.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/50-iem-brief-review-thread-incl-legend-r-customart-harmony-8-hidition-nt-6-and-aaw-w500

I had read the entire thread last week and do remember reading a short comparison of the the K10 and se846 but not the Miracle. To be honest, I am most interested in the K10 but don't seem to be able to find that on for sale too ooften. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #8,924 of 22,954

I had read the entire thread last week and do remember reading a short comparison of the the K10 and se846 but not the Miracle. To be honest, I am most interested in the K10 but don't seem to be able to find that on for sale too ooften. 

The Miracle was part of the latest instalment. Together with the Mentor and the Legacy :)

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #8,925 of 22,954
I have owned the Miracle in both the custom and universal models and the SE846 is hands down better for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back