Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #8,746 of 22,945
Speaking of foam and silicone, do the sony hybrids work on these? I remember people raving about those in the triple fi 10 thread.....

I might have to get the westone sampler. Probably gonna get the p100s as i love foam and isolation, but im wanting to hear feedback and read up first.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #8,747 of 22,945
Finally got my shure.....

Anybody know how they stand up to cold weather and snow/Rain?

I wear mine with the SCS. so I am locked and sealed.

In regular cold they are great and act as a deterrent to earaches'. . As for Minnesota cold (which is really cold) I cannot say.

Light rain .. No problem but I avoid it. Light to medium snowfall ok but again I have limited use with the 8s in winter weather. The 8s prefer indoors when it is not summer.

What the 8s are not very well suited for is Volcanos the Ash really messes with the signal from the A.I. .

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #8,748 of 22,945
Afterall, HTC One (M7) has a slight hiss, but it's not very bothering.. Really great sound for a phone otherwise. But Bifrost Uber / Schiit Asgard 2 on low gain is absolutely black compared to it. Love the sound I'm getting from my Schiit stack on SE846.

Jan 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #8,749 of 22,945
I use them is all weather.  In the extreme cold, put them inside the house, the car or train before going in the cold.  I also like to keep my phone or iTouch inside the inside pocket in my coat.  The cold stiffens up the cord and stiffens up the foam buds.  The warm allows the foam to expand nicely in my ear canal.

Btw, these are the best earbuds I've ever used.

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #8,750 of 22,945
I use them is all weather.  In the extreme cold, put them inside the house, the car or train before going in the cold.  I also like to keep my phone or iTouch inside the inside pocket in my coat.  The cold stiffens up the cord and stiffens up the foam buds.  The warm allows the foam to expand nicely in my ear canal.

Btw, these are the best earbuds I've ever used.

Glad to know your liking them. These things really are something else and they sound they can produce is just out of this world to me. It's just incredible that it's coming from such a small, portable, and easy to drive package. I sometimes forget I'm listening through earphones until I take them out and realize how small they are.

Good tips for weather use btw. I guess I'd be curious to see how water tight or sweat resistant these are, but I'm definitely not willing to find out for myself........

Any uber rich takers that don't care if they feel like busting a pair of 1k earbuds by pushing them to their limits?!....... Hehe

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #8,751 of 22,945
Glad to know your liking them. These things really are something else and they sound they can produce is just out of this world to me. It's just incredible that it's coming from such a small, portable, and easy to drive package. I sometimes forget I'm listening through earphones until I take them out and realize how small they are.

Good tips for weather use btw. I guess I'd be curious to see how water tight or sweat resistant these are, but I'm definitely not willing to find out for myself........

Any uber rich takers that don't care if they feel like busting a pair of 1k earbuds by pushing them to their limits?!....... Hehe

The SCS review below (in my signature) puts the SE846 to pretty good limits regarding resistance to sweat and working out - but uber rich? Rich pertaining to happiness, sure! :bigsmile_face:

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #8,752 of 22,945
Hi guys, if you're interested, I dusted off my camera, found my other tips and completed a full review- the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves for the Shure SE846.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749859/review-chi-town-chi-sound-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-is-a-slice-of-the-windy-city

I've changed my avatar to one of the pics used in my review. Hope you enjoy it!

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #8,754 of 22,945
Does anyone know if the 846 impedance match will be a problem with the ak120, or how it would sound?

I'm using the ak100ii with output impedance of 2. Seems to match just fine. I'll be posting my impressions later, but from what I hear it's sounding fantastic. Everything I've read about it is that it may add a tad mid bass, but doesn't hurt the overall sound quality in any fashion. I Agree cause it's fantastic so far. Again I'll post some more in depth impression tomorrow, but rest assured it sounds good. Hopefully warrior will chime in cause I know he is using his 846s with his AK, just not sure what model he has.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #8,755 of 22,945
Does anyone know if the 846 impedance match will be a problem with the ak120, or how it would sound?

The AK120II was one of my favorite standalone DAPs when I listened to it with my SE846 - didn't seem to have any impedance issues to my ears; neither did the AK240 in my opinion.

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #8,756 of 22,945
Thanks Grinded Down and Moewdawg140. I remember reading somewhere that there needs to be a balance or ratio between impedance matching. To the point that some people were modding their ak120s to have an impedance rating of below 1 for the fear of missing out on the full frequency of sound. It's probably not enough to reduce the enjoyment of the 846's and I'm just being paranoid :s
Thanks again!

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #8,757 of 22,945
Thanks Grinded Down and Moewdawg140. I remember reading somewhere that there needs to be a balance or ratio between impedance matching. To the point that some people were modding their ak120s to have an impedance rating of below 1 for the fear of missing out on the full frequency of sound. It's probably not enough to reduce the enjoyment of the 846's and I'm just being paranoid :s
Thanks again!

Yeah it's generally recommended that you have an impedance ratio of 8 to 1 with the impedance of the headphone being 8 times that of the output impedance of your source. That's to make sure that the headphones are properly dtriven and receive The correct amount of current. If I'm not mistaken, if there is too large of a disparity, the volume won't be there and if they are far too close, the headphones frequency ranges will muddy and flatten due to too much power. At least that's my understanding of it. Someone feel to correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #8,758 of 22,945
Yeah it's generally recommended that you have an impedance ratio of 8 to 1 with the impedance of the headphone being 8 times that of the output impedance of your source. That's to make sure that the headphones are properly dtriven and receive The correct amount of current. If I'm not mistaken, if there is too large of a disparity, the volume won't be there and if they are far too close, the headphones frequency ranges will muddy and flatten due to too much power. At least that's my understanding of it. Someone feel to correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it's true. Else the Chord Hugo with an output impedance at approximately 0 would sound very quiet with the Sennheiser HD800 which is not the case. 

In my opinion, every amplifier should have an output impedance close to zero. High-end desktop amplifiers such as the Taurus MKII also have a very low output impedance. In the end, it's the available power that determines how well it can drive a headphone rather than how high the output impedance is (an output impedance that is too high can cause problems obviously). 

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #8,759 of 22,945
  Tonal balance is very similar to LCD-2F. But .. OMG. Details!! Separation. And the seal.. nothing distracts from the music. It's pure injection right into the brain. Very good balance overall.

By the way, the soundstage isn't too bad, I was expecting more "in the head" sound, but it's pretty wide. Bass is right there, nicely textured, very good weight but not overpowering.

So far I've only tried it with factory foam tips, which are a bit large for my ears. Going to try the medium or small olives now...

Is it on the same level as the LCD-2F or is it a step down (or maybe even better than the LCD-2F)? 

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #8,760 of 22,945
Is it on the same level as the LCD-2F or is it a step down (or maybe even better than the LCD-2F)? 

I think as it was told many times before - it's not better or worse, it's just different. Sound stage is slightly narrower, but I like more intimate sound and slightly more details (probably thanks to superior isolation compared to open-backs). The mids are a bit more forward compared to LCD-2, the bass is definitely on par or even better (it has more weight and body in it, maybe just a tiny bit less texture).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back