Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #8,716 of 22,945
  Finally.

1/07/2015 - Wednesday
6:40 amOn FedEx vehicle for delivery LENEXA, KS

Should be in your hands ... Being FedEx (right to the last minute)... by 7pm.

The good news is "the waiting is the hardest part" Second hardest getting the olives put on the 8s at the factory off... (or so I have heard)

Congratulations.... On behalf of the A.I. that will soon merge with your consciousness.... "Welcome my son, welcome to the machine."

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #8,717 of 22,945
  Some more impressions as a new owner of the SE846:

Initially the bass seemed very overwhelming when I first hit play with these bad boys in. I think it was mostly that I wasn't expecting such impact even despite the marketing and "true subwoofer" performance. I'm happy to report that the bass response is excellent, tight and controlled, never muddies, has excellent extension and sub bass response is just awesome. 

At first, I had changed through all the filters to see which I liked the best. I obviously started with blue and they had great bass, but will great clarity across the spectrum and awesome instrument separation which can suffer a lot when bass colors phones too much. White was very good, had awesome detail and introduced enough sparkle up high, but still had some bottom end impact. It did take away some of the oomph and made this earphone sound maybe a tad more analytical to me. The black filter was my least favorite at first. It sounded like the bass went from tight and controlled to overly exaggerated and colored everything too much. Now that my brain has begun adjusting to the sound signature of the 846 and I can identify its strengths and weaknesses better, I thought I'd try the filters again. 

So I tried the black filter and I've got to say that I enjoy it much more than I initially thought. Actually I first thought "oh I'll never use this". It certainly adds additional impact and takes a tad off the clarity and detail of the bass frequencies, but it really doesn't seem to impact the rest of it's sound signature qualities. Soundstage still sounds good, the mids remain creamy and forward without being muddied and the highs still have detail albeit a bit rolled off. 

Overall, its very impressive how these filters seem to tune the sound to your liking just enough without taking away the characteristics of the 846's sound signature. I'd be interested in seeing mods for these filters or shure even selling a multi-pack that allows further tuning options. Kinda like EQing your music, but at the driver level instead of source level. Verrrrrryyy cool. 

Also did some quick A/Bing vs UE900S. UE900s has some good clarity, mids are indeed recessed and not nearly as good, bass is obviously lacking, but only by comparison. The bass is actually pretty clean and controlled sounds, just lack sub bass response and overall impact or oomph. Clarity and detail retrieval are very good tho and music definitely enjoyable. What has surprised me and excited me the most about the 846 vs the UE900s is how much more listenable the 846 is at lower volume levels. The UE900S needs to be driven to higher volume or else it loses most of its sound quality rather quickly whereas the 846 seems to maintain it at low volumes. Thats very nice to help prevent fatiguing.

I've tried the Black Filter a few times now and each time the bass seems none existant and highs are too bright. Anyone else have this experience? Is there a break in period for the filters?

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #8,718 of 22,945
  The good news is "the waiting is the hardest part" Second hardest getting the olives put on the 8s at the factory off... (or so I have heard)
Congratulations.... On behalf of the A.I. that will soon merge with your consciousness.... "Welcome my son, welcome to the machine."

Westone Stars should be here tomorrow... I guess I'd have to live with the olives for now. 

Also "Wish You Were Here" is the first album I always put on with any new gear!! 
L3000.gif

And then "DSotM", of course.

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #8,719 of 22,945

Great analogy!
biggrin.gif
 And I'm probably springing for the SCS's too when I get to it. 

Once your go "skin to skin" with the SCS you will wonder how you ever got by with UF nozzle condoms... Like wearing nothing at all
You will be as one with the machine.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #8,720 of 22,945

Westone Stars should be here tomorrow... I guess I'd have to live with the olives for now. 

Also "Wish You Were Here" is the first album I always put on with any new gear!! 
L3000.gif

And then "DSotM", of course.

Well then,

Come inside dear boy have a Cigar and Shine on, They (the 8s), truly are a Shelter from Pigs on the Wing 

Animals is the third in my Holy Trinity of Sonic Bliss (DSOTM, Wish you Were Hereand  Animals) Played end to end in Chronological order .. (sorry Spook they still ain't anything better 40 years on)

The 8s the Heavenly choir (Especially with the SCS - the Ultimate Upgrade)

Enjoy the Great Gig in your Head, I'll see you on the Dark side of the Moon...
(It's all dark really)

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8,721 of 22,945
I've tried the Black Filter a few times now and each time the bass seems none existant and highs are too bright. Anyone else have this experience? Is there a break in period for the filters?

Have you maid sure that all items are seated properly In the nozzle? The filter needs to be seated and then the nozzle needs to be seated.

Also, do you use silicon or foam tips? I Can't do silicone and one reason is bass response goes bye bye to my ear.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #8,722 of 22,945
Should be in your hands ... Being FedEx (right to the last minute)... by 7pm.

There we go!!!! There's the terminator talk I was mentioning about Monty lol.

Yeah enjoy madwolfa! Come back and post your thoughts......while they are still your own and not a part of the "machine"..........mwa ha ha

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #8,724 of 22,945
The default tips of 535's fit fine to me and give a good seal, I just figured that SCS's would give me the best of both worlds. As a matter of fact, I'm currently reading your review of the SCS's. 

The SCS is an upgrade regarding every facet (slightly increased perceived frequency response, elevated SQ, fit, seal, isolation, etc.) in my opinion. Your mileage may vary. If you have any questions regarding the SCS, please feel free to post on the review thread, or PM me.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #8,725 of 22,945
Totally! Even when you have to buy them in Europe. I won't regret spending 960 euro's on a pair :)

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #8,726 of 22,945
Hi Everyone:

I'm kind of a newb here and would like your input...

I have a set of Shure 846 and Shure 535. Do you recommend that I buy a DAC/Amp or just a portable Amp if I'm going to be driving these from the following sources?

1) Iphone 5s
2) Iphone 6
3) Ipad Air
4) 2014 Macbook Pro

If so, which portable amp or dac/amp would you recommend that would work well with all of the devices listed above?  If not, will driving directly from the sources be sufficient in regards to overall sound quality and without any risk of damaging the IEMs?

Thanks!

Chord hugo

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #8,727 of 22,945
Hi Everyone:

I have a set of Shure 846 and Shure 535. Do you recommend that I buy a DAC/Amp or just a portable Amp if I'm going to be driving these from the following sources?

1) Iphone 5s
2) Iphone 6
3) Ipad Air
4) 2014 Macbook Pro

If so, which portable amp or dac/amp would you recommend that would work well with all of the devices listed above?  If not, will driving directly from the sources be sufficient in regards to overall sound quality and without any risk of damaging the IEMs?

Thanks!

One word of caution or warning, if you plan on using an iDevice with an external amp or DAC/amp you have to disable both the cellular and wifi connection. If not, the amp or DAC amp with pick up the radio frequency interference and you will be treated to some serious hissing.

I found not a problem for chord hugo certainly none for vamp verza

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #8,728 of 22,945
One word of caution or warning, if you plan on using an iDevice with an external amp or DAC/amp you have to disable both the cellular and wifi connection. If not, the amp or DAC amp with pick up the radio frequency interference and you will be treated to some serious hissing.

Hi Everyone:

1) Iphone 5s
2) Iphone 6
3) Ipad Air
4) 2014 Macbook Pro

Thanks!

You will get a decent sound out of the iPhones, but a correctly paired dedicated DAC/amp will make a very notable difference, especially for the MacBook. From my experience, the MacBooks are a very poor source, given that they're not really designed with audio performance in mind. In fact, most laptops are poor sources.

Just to up the confusion i found dac amp for a phone a hige sound improvement again hugo number one. Lessor vamp verza although there is more low end bloat, id go hugo without hesitation

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #8,730 of 22,945
It's happening!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back